“Great Experience”

Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 82 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg, a turning point in the Civil War, was the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion," Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address."
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Knowledgeable tour guides on air conditioned buses. The park is huge so if it is hot I recommend the air condition bus tours. It was between 95 and 100 when we visited.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,576)
All reviews
in 79 reviews
"bucket list"
in 82 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

a lot of walking. movie and cyclorama were fantastic. food and refreshments were greatly over charged

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We started our tour of the battlefield by taking a guided bus tour. It was a nice place to start. The tour guide was very good..

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I visited the Gettysburg National Military Park on July 13 and July 14. For our tour, we purchased a CD tour at the visitor's center bookstore. I'm very pleased with this decision. The CD and book were about $30. We chose the book with the adjustable length tour. We did the entire 3 hour tour. The tour took much longer than 3 hours for us. We broke the tour up. We did half on Saturday afternoon and early evening. We finished up on Sunday morning. This worked best for us, and there were not many people out on Sunday morning. By taking our time, we were able to really take in each of the stops. We got out and explored at the majority of the stops. I would recommend this to anyone interested in history.

1  Thank Brittany P
See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I just find this place fascinating. I have been here many times in my life and never get bored with it. I could spend an entire week just reading a time line of the battle and visiting the different key spots...from both sides. An open top car or motorcycle would probably be the best way to experiencing this place, and give yourself plenty of time to do it. If you like American history even a little, this place absolutely needs to be on your bucket list.