“A piece of history not to be missed”

Gettysburg National Military Park
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 82 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg, a turning point in the Civil War, was the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion," Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address."
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Gettysburg National Military Park is an experience every US citizen should have in their lives. The park is a very pretty and somber place. The vehicle drive is easy and there are places to pull off to the side throughout. There are many monuments to see. Plan to spend a day. The visitors center is very good. Allow time to see the movies at the center.

1  Thank Insatiable891
Write a ReviewReviews (7,576)
All reviews
in 79 reviews
"bucket list"
in 82 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013

While not an American, but knowing some history, it was a real privilege to visit the area. I wish we had stayed longer to see more of the area.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I try to look at events for the effect, both long-lasting and immediate. I am not so much interested in absolute technical activity. At Gettysburg, you get a good mix of both. The information presented about specifics of weapons, etc, put me to sleep. It was left up to me to reflect on the effects of the battle here. There is a lot to do, but I did have some issues with things. We saw the Cyclorama, which to me is a beautiful painting, but not much else. The narration is short and technical. I expected an actual moving, well designed cyclorama. This is not at Gettysburg. The movie is short, as well, leaving wondering why we paid 12.50 for entrance to the cyclorama and movie. There is a guided bus tour, but with a family of four, it will put you out. It comes down to this. There is a lot to do and see, but the prices are outrageous. The restaurant is a complete rip-off. No, we didn't have to eat there, but we were on site, and knew we would be for a while longer. The museum is very well done. For me, this was the area where I really could sit, walk and just think. This alone makes it worth it. For the tour, I suggest the self-guided tour. It is about 24 miles, but there is so much to see. Do plan on spending a few hours. I get really bothered when national parks, attractions way overprice what they sell. So, that aside, this trip was worth it. It is the park and all that goes with it that you will remember. My rating of average is due to the prices, not the attractions within the park. The attractions get a 4.

2  Thank chippyarm
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We visited during the 150th Anniversary of this battle and were pleasantly pleased with the visit.

We parked in the furthest lot - #3 - and had a brief walk to the visitor's centre. A shuttle is available from the parking lot every 20 minutes. Beautiful location and lovingly restored by the NPS.

I had pre-paid for our tickets to the guided tour and the Cyclorama. Tickets were waiting at the Will Call window. The guided tour was fantastic!!! The guide was knowledgeable, answered all questions, and kept track of our group before speaking. The bus was air conditioned and the seats comfortable. Wheelchairs could also be accommodated.

The tour was amazing and thoroughly covered the battle. The auto tour could be purchased in the gift shop and used in your car to take you through the story as well. The bookstore/gift shop was amazing as well. Just a note, if you have small children don't take the guided tour - they will be bored. Take the auto tour where you can listen in your vehicle and stop when you like. Bored children on a tour bus cause discomfort for everyone.

The Cyclorama and the movie were both stirring. Lovingly restored, the Cyclorama was completed in 1894 and gives a 360 view of the battle on the last day. The movie, narrated by Morgan Freeman, was moving and described the basis behind the Civil War and the results of it.

1  Thank Happy-Suzanne