“quick trip”

Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 103 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg was a turning point in the Civil War, the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion", Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address".
south carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“quick trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stopped by the Gettsyburg Battlefield park on our way to Cape Cod, not realizing how much their is to see, do and learn. We decided to take a 3 hour battlefield tour with a licensed battlefield guide. He helped us vividly 'see' the three days of the battle in all its horror and glory. We learned the positions of the troops, why the outcome was what it was, the reactions and interactions of local residents. This is a must see. We will be returning

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
O, Fl.
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“who knew the government provided the best show in town?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

With all that Gettysburg has to offer who knew the park service is the best way to go?
We did the self-guided auto tour for 90 min. It told us everything thoroughly and completly.
The story was compelling and the views spectacular. For beauty and learning take this
tour. All ages can enjoy.

Orlando
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“So moving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

What can I say. As you stand on the battle grounds where there were over 50,000 casualties, it is very sobering. The visitors center closes at 6:00 but the battlefield stays open til 10:00 p.m. It is a self driving tour which if done right will take several hours. We were there past dusk, and the park was filled with fireflies. This is not to miss expecially if you are into the Civil War! God Bless all who fought and the citizens of Gettysburg

1 Thank WarthogOrlando
Columbus, Ohio
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 177 helpful votes
“150 Years of History”

What's not to like?

While this wasn't exactly what I had expected after dreaming of my visit for 25 years, it was still very good.

I am a history buff, a genealogist and an avid ghost hunter. This place has it all.

We went on the Monday after the big celebration. All the employees were very helpful. It was very hot and humid and we walked a lot. However, it gave one perspective on what those soldiers must have dealt with carrying gear and fighting for their lives.

I was surprised how large it all was and how peaceful. Very very peaceful.

I am still processing all the sights we saw. I would recommend an early morning or late evening visit for those who want some quiet time there. The tour buses and kid groups can be overwhelming sometime.

I didnt see any ghosts but I did feel a lot of history there. Would go back again for sure!

Edwardsville, IL
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Even better than expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a day to spend here towards the end of our vacation, and I wish we would have had more time. We purchased the audio tour for the car that was supposed to be 2 1/2 hours I think. It took us about 5 hours because there was so much to stop and see. I find this type of thing fascinating, and we (or I) probably could have spent two or three days here. We didn't get to do any of the FREE ranger led walks/talks, and we didn't explore the museum at all because we just didn't have the time. It's one of those places I would love to go back and visit again.

Visited May 2013