“An Experience That Will Open Your Eyes”

Gettysburg National Military Park
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
Ranked #2 of 109 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg, a turning point in the Civil War, was the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion," Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address."
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This park has done the best job possible in preserving the historical value and delivering the Gettysburgh experience to all visitors.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,048)
All reviews
in 71 reviews
"bucket list"
in 83 reviews

Reviewed November 21, 2012

There are so many ways to get a guided tour. There are bus rides, and several different CDs you can listen to in your car with descriptions, driving directions, and history all rolled in to one. We purchased CDs from the Farnsworth House book store. It is important to note that you can either rent or buy these - we chose to purchase them. It is also worth noting that the Farnsworth House does not make these, they simply sell them, so you might want to call to make sure they have them in stock. But I did learn that no matter what CDs you buy/rent, you will NOT see the entire park. There is simply too much. I wish we would have had the time to make two or three trips with different sets of CDs, but we just ran out of time. The Park itself is simply beautiful, well maintained. You can really feel the history there, you can tell that the people of Gettysburg and the visitors have a respect for all that happened there. Even knowing a lot about the battle ahead of time, I still feel we learned a lot. It really makes a difference to see the land and "see" the layout/timeline.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We just attended the annual Remembrance Day Parade, Lighting of the Luminaries and the annual reading of the Gettysburg Address. I've been to Gettysburg twice before but this was the most memorable....especially the lighting of the luminaries. I've attended various Memorial Day and Veterans Day celebrations in other places but this was the most stirring and thought-provoking. When my children are older, I want to take them back for these events. The ranger-guided tours are tops. It's worth enduring the cold for this annual special weekend and I hope more can attend in the future.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I visited the park with my teenage son and we enjoyed it immensely. Although we knew a lot about the battle it makes a real difference to see it. For example, even at a run it would have taken 10 minutes for Pickett's men to cross the distance from the tree line to Cemetery Ridge. It was amazing that they even attempted it. The battlefield is huge and it took us 4 hours to do it even in the car. The museum was nice too.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My daughter and I just went on her fifth grade school bus trip to DC and other stops. The trip included a quick stop in Gettysburg this past Thursday. We stopped at the visitors center. It was a nice place, looked to be fairly new. A park tour guide got on our bus and lead the group around the park to the highlight of the battlefield. We only had three hours to spend at the park and the tour guide made all the difference. He was so good with the kids, getting them involved and motivating them to learn. Due to our limited time there was so much we didn't get to see. I hope someday to go back when I can spend much more time exploring the town and take in all the history of the area.