“Military Park is wonderful to see.”

Gettysburg National Military Park
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 103 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg was a turning point in the Civil War, the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion", Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address".
Lindenwold, New Jersey
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Military Park is wonderful to see.”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

My husband and I enjoy visiting the Park. We have been there about 4 times now.
It's very overwhelming to me but I like the feeling when we visit there.
I feel like we are paying our respect to those that served in the Civil War.

Visited July 2011

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
central pennsylvania
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 267 helpful votes
“Well done preservation”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

The New Visitor Center is very well done; this is the "grand daddy" of Civil War parks and handles huge numbers of visitors well. Our guide, Tom Vossler, was one of the best we've ever encountered.

Central, NJ
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Start here...”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

This is the place to start your Gettysburg visit. Stop by the Gettysburg Friends (Foundation) desk...they are extremely helpful.

Visited December 2011
St. George, Utah
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Everyone Should Visit Gettysburg”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We have been going to DC every year for probably 15 years and we have always wanted to visit Gettysburg. For one reason or another we never made the time until this year. It was one of the best road trips we have ever made.

We rented a car and made the drive. It was easy enough to find via maps, and parking at the park was good. We tried to hire a ranger to do an individual tour in our car but we didn't get there in time for that. If that is what you want to do get there early in the day. Instead we purchased the CD and did a self-guided tour. It was outstanding and it allowed us time to get out and look at things that interested us.

It is a sobering place to visit and it is a visit that all Americans should make. Since our trip there I have read several books on the Civil War, and its amazing how much I didn't know about it.

Its well worth the effort.

Visited June 2011
Pennsylvania
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“History Major's Heaven”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have spent my entire life making day trips to this wonderful park which depicts the Civil War the best I have seen of any other park I have visited.