“Lightner Farmhouse - a Comfortable Slice of History”

The Lightner Farmhouse
Ranked #8 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Our stay at Lightner Framhouse for a night was an enjoyable and comfortable slice of history. We were met upon arrival by one of the owners, Eileen, who took us on a tour of the Farmhouse and explained the history. It had been remodeled just before the Civil War and was used as a makeshift hospital to tend the wounded after the battle of Gettysburg. After the tour we were taken to our rooms which were good size and very comfortable. We had our 3 young adult kids with us, and they were given the Loft which had an abundant amount of space and 2 separate rooms. The location was great, 2 miles from Gettysburg and a mile or so to the Gettysburg Battlefield Historic Park. To top off the stay the breakfast the next morning of waffles and sausage was ample and tasty. I will be staying at this B&B in the future.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank JohnF_1959
There are newer reviews for The Lightner Farmhouse

Reviewed August 4, 2008

We went on our Gettysburg trip because it is all my 10 year old son wanted for his birthday. He is a huge history buff and a ghost lover. Nate wanted to stay in a old place so maybe he could have a ghost encounter. I found the Lightner Farmhouse on the net. It seemed perfect. You never know what to expect. We could not have been more pleased with this bed and breakfast. Not only were Eileen and Dennis wonderful to us, but they really went out of their way for our son too. The breakfasts were amazing! Nathan loved Jake the Cat. We loved the location and were really happy we did not stay in town. We stayed in the attic (which Nate loved)! It was great Nate stayed in the daybed and had a tv to watch and that gave my husband and I privacy. Everything from inside to outside was beautiful. I would stay there again in a heart beat. My only disappointment was that it wasn't long enough. Eileen and Dennis know the area and a lot of history. They are wonderful people! I give this bed and breakfast a 10 out of 10. I don't even have one thing to complain about. It was a wonderful weekend adventure and my son said it was his best birthday ever!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank annabeth25
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Absolutely beautiful area. Lots of history, felt like i was home with there kindness. Great ghost stories and ambiance. My wife and i highly recommend the Lightner Famehouse, just wish we could have stayed longer!!!

The waffles were awesome!

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 30, 2008

My wife and I had never been to Gettysburg but we had heard great things. Upon arrival to the Lightner Farmhouse we were greated by Eileen and Dennis who took us on a tour. The farmhouse is in amazing shape. The location is only two miles from the new visitor center. The Breakfasts were delicious and there is even a recreational room in the basement where guests can relax and enjoy a free soft drink.

Eileen and Dennis were incredible hosts and we cannot wait to return next summer!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2008

Our family of four visited Gettysburg for the first time in late April to celebrate my 50th birthday. We stayed in the Walnut Cottage with two children for three days. This accomodation is attached to the house by a garden-like breezeway, and we were glad to be able to enjoy the beauty and history of the house without needing to be concerned about our (well-behaved!) children bothering anyone. There was a mowed walking trail off our back porch which was good for taking the kids on and relaxing.

Our first morning there, the B&B was full, and we enjoyed our breakfast privately with our family in the breezeway where we watched a wren come and go from her nest. The other two mornings when we were the only guests, we had breakfast in the dining room which has a beautiful sideboard and a cozy atmosphere. It was then when we had a chance to chat with Eileen; she has a relaxed and accepting attitude toward the subject of ghosts at the farmhouse. Breakfast included fresh fruit and blueberry bread, and we enjoyed the farm-fresh scrambled eggs and omlets Dennis made.

The farmhouse is conveniently located and relatively quiet in terms of road noise, compared to the B&B's in town. It was nice to have a porch to ourselves, especially with the kids. We appreciated the notebook the owners keep in the parlor which gave us some good information about the property, house, and it's previous owners. We felt like it was a privilege to stay in a home so rich in civil war history.

We shared a large, airy bedroom with the kids which was fine. There are two nice closets (with soft robes) for hanging clothes. It would be better if there was a dresser to collect all the things which don't hang, especially the kids' clothes. We had to lay clothes out on the floor which wasn't optimal.

On a dissappointing note, I had arranged with Eileen to have some chilled champagne waiting in our room at 3:00 when we planned to check in to make the birthday celebration special. It was not provided, but Dennis did bring it eventually when we asked for it.

Despite the minor issues mentioned, we had a comfortable visit, and I recommend you enjoy this special location and learn its history!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank NestingBird
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I have stayed twice at Lightner Farmhouse in Gettysburg, and both experiences were wonderful. My wife and I have always enjoyed visiting historic sites, and the fact that Lightner has it's own history was fantastic! Built in the 1860's, the rooms have a lovely old country feel that added so much to our experience.
Both rooms we stayed in were very well kept and had there own mini water jugs with cups and a TV. The beds were quite comfortable, and the bathrooms were clean and contained high quality hypo-allergenic hand soaps as well as the typical shampoo, conditioner, and facial soap. My wife particularly enjoyed the tile in the bathrooms, the rest of the rooms were original hardwood flooring.
The Inn is owned by a husband and wife, Dennis and Eillen Hoover, who were very kind, and assisted us every time we even mentioned anything. Eileen, in particular impressed us with her knowledge of Gettysburg, she apparently used to give guided tours there! Breakfast was nice, and the couple was very accomodating, even asking the night before if there was anything we really wanted to eat, or if we had any dietary restrictions. There is a common room with a mini fridge filled with sodas and beers free for the taking behind an authentic wooden bar.
We had a lovely stay, and plan to go back. There is still much of Gettysburg we have left to see! I would reccomend this inn to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blink182mrk
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Nice house - location a little too far outside of Gettysburg, especially in light of gas price increases. Only wanted to stay one night but because that particular room required two nights, we booked it anyway. (We needed a downstairs room because my husband just had neck surgery about three months ago and my back bothers me.).

Pros:

Room had an its own exit
Lovely location; good parking
Breakfast smelled good even though we did not make it out in time as it was served from 8-9 am.

Cons:

Room TOO EXPENSIVE for what you get. We have stayed in Gettysburg many, many times and know what to expect.

Small Room with no closet to put things away; we never could get organized; had to leave bags / things lying all around the room; we were tripping over our things.

Breakfast is served from 8:00 am to 9:00 am - makes it convenient for the owners but for people on weekends, you have to rush to make it. Not worth it on the weekend. They should extend hours to give guests a more relaxing weekend. We were unable to take advantage of this.

Our room was near the kitchen and when the telephone rang, it was like it was in our room. They must have the ringer up all the way. Ringing started early and went on until late in the evening. Additionally, you heard anything anyone did in the house.

After the first night, we knew we could not stay the second. We took our time, went out to Gettysburg for breakfast and came back and packed up. Moved up the road. Expensive weekend for us ....

One note about Dennis, the co-owner: when we checked in, he gave us an orientation of the place (old military hospital), I asked jokingly "are there any ghosts"? It seemed to me that he got upset with me and proceeded to somewhat lecture us for about twenty minutes (people asking this question are basically fanatics, was my take from this). When you are in the B&B business, these questions come up, especially here. This was just a conversational question, not really expecting that kind of response. During the balance of his orientation, it was extremely uncomfortable for my husband and myself. We asked no questions after that point and avoided him.

Emailed the owner of our disappointing visit. They offered to give us another downstairs room if we came back during the week. Declined the offer.

Bonnie

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dixie12345
gettysburggal, owner at The Lightner Farmhouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2008

The noisy business phone has been replaced with a quiet one. Owners are happy to accommodate early or later breakfast requests with a continental breakfast and these particular guests were asked at 10:30 AM if they wanted anything to eat or drink. The offer was declined. Also the guests booked for a two night stay without asking for the possibility of a one night stay. Sometimes the one night weekend stay is possible. We have issued an apology and an offer for a future night's stay to the couple.