The Lightner Farmhouse
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Excellent 5/5
Good 3.5/5
All reviewswalnut cottageb bcivil warfield hospitalbirch roomgathering roomrocking chairscookiesunion soldiersresident catbed and breakfastghost huntingtrundle bedgracious hostshistoric propertyhome away from homebelgian waffles
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My fiancee and I spent three nights at the Lightner Farmhouse, with another couple, and her mom. We had a great time, the owners were very inviting and welcoming. The rooms were very comfortable, every comfort of home. The breakfast was delicious each morning, and Eileen was a gracious hostess. If you have a chance to stay in Gettysburg, I highly recommend the Lightner Farmhouse. It is a place to relax, and enjoy the countryside and the history that is Gettysburg.

Thank you Eileen and Dennis for a wonderful holiday weekend!!!
Jack and Julia

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed in the private cottage for two nights to celebrate our anniversary. Upon our arrival we were greeted very warmly by Eileen and Dennis who gave us a brief history of the house and walked us through the house to our cottage. You can really tell that they love what they do. The cottage was very clean and cozy. It also had a private covered porch with a beautiful view of the grounds and gardens. At the end of the day it was wonderful to come back to a jar of fresh made chocolate chip cookies! But I have to say that our favorite part was the yummy breakfast. Day 1 was a quiche and yogurt with fresh fruit parfait. Day 2 was waffles, bacon, and fresh fruit. It was a wonderful way to start the day! I also recommend eating at J's at the Village Restaurant. The food was was very good and you can't beat the location.

Room Tip: If you want a more intimate stay we highly recommend the Cottage. It is connected to the house through a breezeway.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was our second trip to Gettysburg. We stayed in town at the Brafferton the year before and wanted to try a place outside of town. It's no inconvenience whatsoever being outside of town, as most of the main attractions (battlefields, visitor's center/museum, etc.) you have to drive to anyway.

The Lightner is just a few minutes drive from town on a gorgeous piece of land, especially in the early fall. It was so quiet and peaceful out there. There are nice walking trails back into the woods a little, an old barn in the back, a nice side porch and a patio in the back. Everything is just very picturesque. The house itself is impressive and full of history (the house was used as a makeshift hospital during the battle). You'll get a great rundown of that from the friendly owners when you arrive. We enjoyed sitting in the front room looking through the many books and such.

The room was just fine. Nothing too fancy, but everything we expected. The other rooms we caught a glance of looked nice, too. The breakfast was very good, but this was maybe our only slight disappointment here. The only problem being that at the Brafferton, the breakfast is out of this world (and the best part of the Brafferton). So our bar was set really, really high! The Lightner's breakfast was still good though. I would probably pick the Lightner again over the Brafferton because of the ambience and scenery at the Lightner. Oh! And free parking is always good, too!

Room Tip: The suite all the way up at the top is great for a family or two people wanting their own rooms to sleep in.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelly P
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I spent August 3rd and 4th here and loved it. Thank you Eileen and Dennis for welcoming us.

Everything about Lightner Farm is welcoming,,,, the parlor, dining room with awesome breakfast and cookies in the afternoon and a most comfortable bed.

Gettysburg is a wonderful piece of history and your kindness and guidance was invaluable.

We highly recommend Lightner Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast.

Thank you!
Bill Becki E.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was my first time to Gettysburg and I wanted some place other than a chain hotel. The hosts, Eileen and Dennis, made me feel so at home. I thought I was visiting good friends. My husband and I stayed in the Oak room, which faces the rear, on the second floor. I appreciated that the AC was just right. I love that this is just out of town and set back from the road. The surrounding gardens were beautiful. I watched the lightening bugs come out one evening. The place is large enough for an evening or early morning stroll. The house was furnished just right, not too fussy.

I even enjoyed chatting with the other guests.

The breakfasts were delightful and kept you going. Beverages were out all the time as were homemade chocolate chips cookies.

This was a former field hospital during the Civil War time period.

Room Tip: Each room has its own touch. Our bathroom was a combo tub/shower. Most were just showers.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple