“A wonderful getway!”

The Lightner Farmhouse
Ranked #8 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 27, 2007

This was a very tough decision for me for which B&B to stay at in Gettysburg. So I went with this one after reading its reviews. They didn't let me down. The house was beautiful, the land was gorgeous. The place will always be a special place for me since this was my first B&B that I ever stayed at. The Hoovers made my boyfriend and I feel very welcomed. The breakfast was delicious, the baked cookies that was left out for us at night were awesome. The room was clean, spacious and we loved our fireplace. There was a special feel of warmth that the Hoovers provided us. I recommend this place to anyone that just wants to getaway to Gettysburg and come to a place that you can call home. I know we did. I will be back and I will recommend it to many. Thanks for the memories.
Laurie
Kensington M.D.

Stayed: November 2007
6  Thank lpells

Reviewed October 6, 2007

We really enjoyed the comfort/roominess and privacy of the Walnut Cottage. We got to peek at the other rooms and they are all nice and typical of what you would expect from a B&B. The cottage is a rare gem with all that space.

The mini-fridge in the cottage was convenient. It was nice that it came with some water and soda, but we also loaded it up with our own purchases.

I was worried about it being "out of town", but it is really quite close and to be able to sit on the cottage porch away from it all listening to the birds sing and the blowing of the trees far outweighs the short drive.

If you are interested in a ghost tour, ask the owners. They connected us with a really good private tour with Ms. Betty. I also recommend the private park guide (picked up at the visitor center) if you go to Gettysburg, but the owners will also lend you the book and CD for more adventures on your own.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank 1_to_travel_on
Reviewed September 20, 2007

This was our first visit to Gettysburg where we stayed over. As soon as we turned down the lane we knew we had made the right choice. No hotel or motel comes close to the experience and warmth of the farmhouse and our new friends the Hoovers. From the most pleasent room(s) to my bacon done just as I like it, everything was 100% plus. Our advise. Just stay here.

Most Sincerely,

John and Lee Anne Walker, DuBois, PA

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank AncestorFollower
Reviewed August 20, 2007

The Lightner Farmhouse is the only place that we stay while vistiting in Gettysburg. It is set back off the Baltimore Pike amid beautiful established trees and lovely gardens. Dennis Hoover, the owner works tirelessly to manicure the grounds each day. There is a nature trail which guests can walk and enjoy in the early morning as they sip their first cup of coffee, or perhaps at sunset after a busy day of touring the battlefield. Bring your camera along with you as you will see birds, squirrels, bunnies and perhaps a deer and her fawn. The Hoover's cat Jake may decide to accompany you, but don't let him fool you into letting him come inside afterward, He is an outside cat, who will win your heart with those beautiful eyes and his easy disposition.

Eileen Hoover is your hostess and will be at the door along with Dennis to greet you as you check into the farmhouse. Eileen oversees the interior if the inn and will provide you with any information you may need while in Gettysburg. She can give you wonderful suggestions concerning tours, directions, dining tips and will graciously answer any questions you may have.

The rooms at the inn are beautifully decorated and are meticulously clean . Each room is named for a tree ( Maple, Birch, etc,) and the view from the windows is beautiful no matter which season you visit. The coffee is ready by 6:00 a.m. for you early risers and a full breakfast is served by Dennis and Eileen each morning between 8:00 and 9:00. Eileen offers a fresh fruit cup along with a selection of juices and sweet breads. Dennis is busy in the kitchen preparing the hot food. Depending upon the day , you will be offered an omlet , a 3 cheese strata, made to order eggs, french toast or Dennis' famous Belgian waffles.

After a busy day of touring the battlefield or shopping in town you will return to The Lightner Farmhouse to enjoy the quiet serenity of this historic property. As isacc Lightner's home was used as a field hospital, it provided shelter and comfort to the wounded soldiers after the battle. The Hoover's beautifully restored farmhouse is still offering its guests rest and relaxation in a one of a kind setting.

4  Thank Twoelizabeths
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Each summer I take my mother on *our* vacation together. This year we decided to see central PA: Gettysburg, Hershey and Amish country.

We stayed two nights at the Lightner Farmhouse in Gettysburg. I give the place an unqualified rave. First the people who own the place are very nice. He makes a great breakfast and she is a great help at suggesting restaurants and attractions. My mother and I went to the Schriver House at her suggestion, and it was one of the best parts of our visit.

We ate at Olivia's at her suggestion too. It is a little place surrounded by pretty much nothing but the food was simple yet very delicious.

We stayed in the Walnut Cottage. It sleeps at least five. The beds were very comfortable, adn it was nice to sit on the sofa watching tv in the afternoon after a day of sightseeing.

He makes a dandy breakfast. We had waffles one morning and an omelet the other. Both were very good. She makes great bread too.

I recommend this place highly, and if I ever go to Gettysburg again, I will definitely stay there.

Cheers.

Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank HubbellGardiner
Reviewed August 14, 2007

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank tbones2