“Very nice getaway”

Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Richboro, PA
“Very nice getaway”
Reviewed May 12, 2009

My two best friends and I typically spend a "girls weekend" away sometime in May. We chose Gettysburg this year as being a little more economical and closer to home. I was fortunate to stumble onto the James Gettys Hotel.

What appealed to me was that we could stay in the historical part of Gettysburg and walk to a variety of restaurants and shops, yet the suite was large enough for the 3 of us to share.

The suite was EXTREMELY clean and comfortable. The bedding and towels were not worn or torn as stated in prior reviews. Our request for additional towels was met immediately. The beds were comfortable and no one had trouble sleeping.

There was a full size refrigerator, small kitchen table, coffee maker, etc in the sitting area of the suite. This is a hotel that does not advertise free breakfast, so I don't know where that idea came from. However, every afternoon there were fresh cookies and chocolates delivered to the room as well as a turn down service. We also had a plate of muffins, fruit, and pastry bread every morning.

The service, room, and location were all wonderful. It was a pleasure staying at the James Getty Hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
WA
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Overall, I was not impressed with the James Gettys hotel. The positive: great location (lots of little shops and restaurants within walking distance). The negatives: The lady working the front desk was incredibly rude. When we arrived to check in, there was a sign saying that the attendant had stepped away and to ring a bell for service (the sign was always up, there was NEVER an attendant at the desk). We waited a solid 15 minutes before someone finally came out to check us in. She was rude, short, and not welcoming whatsoever. We would see her throughout our stay and she never acknowledged us and seemed like she was there just to collect a pay check. Apparently pets aren't allowed, but two large dogs were roaming the "lobby" while we waited to check in and upon finally getting into our room, the couch was covered in what appeared to be white dog hair. The room itself was OK, but for the amount they charged it wasn't worth it. Our room was along the street which gets very loud at night, and oddly enough, semi-trucks travel the small streets through Gettysburg and it is loud, which makes it difficult to sleep through the night if you are a light sleeper (it didn't bother my husband but kept me up throughout all the nights of our stay). I could literally hear someone outside on the street sneeze and we were on the fourth floor (just gives you an idea at how thin the walls/windows are). The bed in our suite was a full size bed. My husband didn't realize that when he booked the room, so that's our fault, but he assumed that for $140 a night you'd at least get a queen sized bed.

In the end, it truly was more of a place to just sleep while we toured the town and the battlefield. We enjoyed our time in Gettysburg, outside of the hotel, and if we returned we would not stay there again.

Tip to travelers: If going there for the battlefield, definitely see the Cyclorama and the Museum at the visitor's center. We also paid to have the tour guide come in our car as opposed to seeing the field on a large bus; we really liked the one-on-one tour. You can ask whatever questions you like and you don't feel rushed. We also enjoyed the Eisenhower home. Save your money and do not pay for the David Wills home tour. It's where Lincoln stayed the night before giving the Gettysburg address. The home is now more "modern" and really the only thing worth seeing was the bed Lincoln slept in, but they charge you the same amount to see that as they do to go to the Cyclorama and Museum. It was only $6.50 a person, but my husband and I both agree it wasn't worth $13.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank WAtraveler32
Arkansas
Reviewed November 5, 2008

We were able to get a last-minute reservation in the only vacant suite (Union Hotel Suite) for Halloween weekend, and it was a wonderful experience. The hotel is more like a B&B, the muffins and other treats were delicious, and the staff (especially Sarah!) were very friendly and helpful. The suite is like a small apartment, and beautifully decorated. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jillybee58
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We stayed at this hotel on Halloween Weekend. We were able to check in early and the manager on duty was very nice and helpful upon arrival.

Our suite was the Keystone Suite on the 4th floor. The room is a very cozy suite overlooking the street. There was a sitting area with a loveseat and table for two and a good size bedroom.

The location is pretty good. We usually stay on Steinwehr closer to the battlefield but we were still able to walk to Baltimore Street and Steinwehr, it really is a pretty easy walk and the area is so pretty.

Traffic was crazy on Lincoln Square and the street the hotel was on. I guess I assumed Baltimore and Steinwehr to be crazy but this was nuts!

Back to the hotel - The place is well kept and the room was very pretty. You have a full size fridge and microwave and a stove top too. Very nice is you plan to eat some meals in your room.

At night we were treated to a snack of either cookies or chocolate. Both were delicious. There is also a plate of breads or muffins left in your room for breakfast as well as orange juice in your fridge.

The bed was comfy and the bedding was warm and cozy. I slept well both nights.

The only minor complaints I had were the parking. You parked behind the place in a sort of alleyway. It didn't seem to safe to me. Also the towel they replaced had a ton of holes in it and I didn't get replacement washcloths. My husband said they did not replace the coffee packet either. He did have a little left in the old packet and he ws able to get a cup out of it.

Other than that we really enjoyed our stay and would consider going back.

• Liked — Roomy and near tourist area
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank joenronnie
Reviewed August 5, 2008

This is a very nice inn in the middle of historic Gettysburg. The last time we visited Gettysburg, we stayed in the outskirts. Being in the middle of the action is so much better!

Because of TripAdvisor reviews, I asked for a suite in the back. It was very quiet, so I have no complaints. They provide you with a continental breakfast already in your kitchen when you check in. This was nice, as were the chocolates shaped like the inn. Parking is in the back and provided by the inn. Our suite was comfortable with everything we needed available.

If you want an intimate b&b experience, stay at a b&b in town. If you want a centrally located inn with large, comfortable and historic rooms, this is your place.

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ihopeihelped
Pittsburgh,PA
Reviewed June 24, 2008

This hotel has very clean, and well decorated suites. I stayed in the Majestic Suite and read reviews prior to booking this hotel. Chief complaints were about the noise from the adjacent restaurant/bistro. This restaurant has outside seating and the noise from the guests is very very loud. We stayed on a Friday and Saturday. Friday the noise was bearable. Saturday, the noise was terribly loud that we didnt sleep until about 1:30am. (You could actually hear conversations) This angered me slightly due to the fact that upon booking I expressed my concern for the noise and the reservationist stated that she recommended the Majestic Suite if funds werent an issue. At $250.00/night I feel the noise is unacceptable. We also had a family in the room next to our suite on Saturday night and could hear banging on the walls and running throughout the floorplan. My husband and I joked that we could expect noise at the Econo Lodge but not in a suite for $250.00 a night.
Enough of the negatives, the hotel staff was wonderful and very polite.Location was great and parking was never an issue. We had a young male check us in and he was very polite and attentive. The decor of the suite was gorgeous and the king sized bed was very comfortable. The snacks provided for breakfast was a nice treat to see when arriving back from a long day in town, however thought a mini-bar with softdrinks would be nice as well(which is not provided). The Suite was very very clean.
Overall, I feel the hotel is a great place to stay if you don't mind the noise issue. Keep in mind that when I first read reviews about the noise, I thought it would be bearable and maybe some folks are just picky, however, it couldnt have been louder other than sitting with the patrons at the Bistro. My husband and I were very irrate, but feel that because of the quality of the suite it wasn't worth complaining to staff. Which by the way, we heard great things about the Blue Parrot Bistro and we ate dinner there on Friday. It was very expensive and they gave very small portions. Please read menu on the door before deciding. It looks good but the staff was rude, portions small and very expensive.
One small suggestion, robes as well in the bathroom.
Jill, Pittsburgh,PA
[-]

• Liked — Comfort of room
  • Disliked — Noise from neighboring restaurant
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brindlebullies
Waterloo, Illinois
Reviewed June 18, 2008

A very nice hotel (more hotel than B&B since there are no common areas, no common breakfast, etc) in a great location. The hotel is maintained in outstanding condition -- the period decor (we stayed in the Union Hotel Suite) is far better than any boxy modern hotel. The continental breakfast was tasty as were the cookies. Only slight disappointment was the expectation that the breakfast would have been prepared/delivered the morning it was to be eaten. By the time we checked in at 5PM, the breakfast, including fruit/orange juice/bread/pastries were already in the room encased in plastic wrap. While this worked out ok (everything was still good other than the fresh canteloupe slices that were soggy after a night in the refrigerator), it did take away from the atmosphere I was trying to create for my wife (first night in a nice place without the teenagers in a long time).

All in all, a very nice place with pleasant staff. We may return or may try a more traditional B&B on our next trip.

• Liked — History/decor of Hotel and Location
  • Disliked — In-room continental breakfast was prepared/delivered the afternoon before it was to be eaten and left under plastic wrap in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple