“"A Real Charmer"” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Wheeling, West Virginia
“"A Real Charmer"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed there Thurs, Fri, & Sat in the Majestic Suite. Huge in most respects. Large sitting area, equally large bedroom with comfortable king bed, and large bathroom with jacuzzi tub and nice shower. Average toiletries but had fresh ground coffe in am with home made pastries and orange juice. Overall a delight. I got up before the wife in the am and had loads of room in the sitting room to get work/studying done without bothering her. Close to everything in town. Very expensive in comparison to other lodging but I had no regrets - worth every penny. Rating is actually a 4.5

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank david b b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Positive - clean room, close to restaurants and cafés. Parking free at rear of hotel. Staff really friendly and helpful. Cookies left at night was a homely touch.
Downside - noisy air conditioning resulted in having to move rooms at 12.30am. No one on site after 10pm only a contact telephone no. Muffins, zucchini bread and grapes not really my idea of breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid front of hotel, traffic noise. Our 4th floor room air conditioning sounded like a pneumatic dr...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Julie D
Trisha1996, Assistant Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you so much for your review! It is always satisfying to hear our guests comment on the cleanliness of our property - it is something that requires hard work and commitment, but we would not have it any other way! I'm glad that our staff's friendly and helpful nature also added to the enjoyment of your stay.

Our cookies (and our dark chocolates) are always a big hit, so thank you for mentioning them! I'm sorry that our breakfast basket did not fulfill your needs. It is a continental breakfast, which we deliver to each kitchenette along with juice and cream. There is coffee and tea in each room as well. As it is only meant to be a continental breakfast, we feel that baking the items in house with local products adds to the home-away-from-home atmosphere we strive to achieve.

I am also very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced, which led to an interrupted night's rest. As you mentioned, our hotel is not staffed after 10 PM (11 PM on Fridays); the manager lives very nearby, so issues can be addressed quite quickly. Thank you very much for contacting Trisha immediately to set the situation to rights. We are always happy to do what we can to fix any issue that arises, but we need to know about it!

As for the cause of the noise you heard, I am unable to give a definitive answer. I can tell you that in addition to the monthly service we perform on all of our AC/heating units, we also work closely with our local HVAC technicians. The unit in the Keystone Hotel Suite has been given a clean bill of health, and we have not had any additional reports from our guests of noise coming from that unit.

Overall, I hope that you enjoyed your stay at the James Gettys Hotel and would stay with us again if your travels bring you back to Gettysburg!

Grants Pass, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Selected this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and was not disappointed. The James Gettys has it all, warmth, charm, history, great location, hospitality and an excellent value. I had called ahead for a late check-in as the front desk closes at 8 p.m. and the front door is locked. I was given instructions as to where to park and where I could find my key. Instead, when I arrived at 11 p.m. I was greeted warmly by Trisha who had extended her shift 3 additional hours to meet and greet me. That is truly exceptional customer service! I stayed in the Sign of the Spread Eagle Suite for 2 nights. The suite was prettily decorated in greens, blues and cream with a beautiful quilt on the bed and every amenity I could want. It was similar to a 1 bedroom apartment, with a small kitchen, dining and living room area and separate bedroom and bathroom. I had chosen this suite as it faced the side of the restaurant next door and the pretty little outdoor eating area. I did not want the noise that other reviewers had mentioned concerning suites that faced the main street. My suite was very quiet. Loved having the freshly baked pastries, fresh fruit, juice, cream and cookies/chocolate delivered at turn down so I could make my own coffee in the morning and eat at my leisure. The pastries were delicious! The hotel was within walking distance of many historical sites, museums and restaurants. It was the perfect home base. The free parking was an added benefit. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank oregonmimi1
Hi there!

Thank you for your kind words! It was a pleasure hosting your trip to Gettysburg! Your description of the Sign of the Spread Eagle Suite is as charming as the suite itself! It is the perfect room for a single traveler, or a budget-minded couple that doesn't mind a smaller bed.

We hope to see you again very soon!
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We chose the James Gettys based on the Trip Advisor reviews, reasonable price, and perfect location. We were assigned to the Keystone Suite which is on the 4th floor overlooking Chambersburg Street. The suite was perfect for my family of three, although a queen bed (instead of a double) would have made things a bit more comfortable. The room was exceptionally clean, and the carpet was the plushest I've ever had in a hotel. The bathroom was a generous size and had plenty of towels (I loved the black hand towel that was embroidered "Make Up" - what a great idea). The continental breakfast (zucchini bread, peach muffins, fruit, and a carafe of OJ) was delivered to our room the night before (around 9 pm), which was great so we could eat at our own pace/time in the AM....the food was really good too. The location was great - most everything was within walking distance or a short drive (it was 5 minutes to the Gettysburg Battlefield Visitors Center). The parking lot was a bit snug, but as it was a small lot off an alley, it wasn't a surprise, but it probably wouldn't be easy for a full size truck, van, or SUV. The rooms facing Chambersburg Street do get a lot of street noise between about 7 am and 9 pm. My big complaint (and the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5) was that the walls were exceptionally thin - we could hear our neighbors pretty distinctly.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face Chambersburg Street are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Gleek_Wisz
Beaver, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Loved everything! Clean, comfortable and charming. After years of stale muffins and boxed cereals, the homemade treats were a welcome change. The manager of the hotel was attentive and welcoming (as was her sister). We will be back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Holt, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This was our first time to see the Gettysburg National Battlefield and we weren't sure where to stay. We chose the James Getty Hotel because it is located in the city center. We were happy with our choice, because we could walk to a restaurant for dinner. We also learned that for a very small price you can take a bus to the Battlefield and other sites from this area if you prefer not to drive. The hotel building is a historic building, but we were disappointed that the room decor is modern. The room was clean and spacious. Breakfast consisted of slices of coffeecake, fruit, and orange juice - left in the room so that you can eat it whenever you wish. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel (on Chambersburg Street) have a view of the street. There is a lot...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DEBBI1950
Myerstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We regularly stay at the James Getty when visiting Gettysburg. The hotel is located in the heart of Gettysburg - within walking distance to many sites. The innkeepers are so kind and go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. It is one of the few hotels where I am actually comfortable - it is super clean, up to date, and I LOVE that each suite is so large for such a reasonable price. You can't beat the deal or experience! I HIGHLY recommend the James Getty! We'll be returning there next year!

Room Tip: If you like a quiet night's sleep, request a room at the back of the hotel. The rooms in the fr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
Trisha1996, Assistant Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you so much for your continued support of our hotel! We always love to see familiar faces and greatly look forward to your next visit! Thank you for your comments on our cleanliness and size of our suites. It is our pleasure to create a home-away-from-home environment; I'm so glad you can relax in comfort here!

See you next year!