“Nice B&B-Style hotel on busy main street”
Review of James Gettys Hotel

James Gettys Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed May 18, 2012

This hotel that served guests during the Civil War has been nicely reodeled for guest comfort. My suite was very nice, but this does not seem to be a historic restoration. The lobby entry door looked to be taken from a modern tract home, for example.

Because it's an adaptation of an old hotel, the dimensions are odd. My rear-end bumped against the shower wall when I leaned over the sink to shave. I had to maintain good posture to sit on the commode because the dimensions were very tight. I actually had to call the front desk (on my cell phone - there are no guest room phones) to figure out how to activate the shower - it's a very subtle control ring on the tub faucet.

Do NOT take a guest room on the street unless urban streetscape noise is your friend. It's not mine. Street sweeper at 3:11 am, fire truck at 3:21 am, truck traffic starts at 4:30. Police car at 4:44. The Harleys had the courtesy to lay dormant until 6 am. I left the hotel's rear parking lot at 8 am and a trash truck blocked the alleyway to the street for 8 minutes, until I figured out how to escape through a neighboring parking lot that led to another street.

Wonderful staff. nice remodeling job, some nice special touches such as muffins and chocolate. Still, for me, the negatives outweighed the positives. I would never stay on the street side of this hotel again, and I might consider a quiet room on the alley side if I needed to stay in downtown Gettysburg.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank paravensfan
Stephanie0917, Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

I wanted to take a few minutes to respond to your review as I did not hear about your comments until you wrote them here. Thank you for the nice review and it was very nice talking with you at check in. Having a fellow hotelier stay with us is always nice.

Our property is very historic dating back to the early 1800's. However the building has been added on to many different times and the look of the outside today reflects that of the 1920's. Because our town is on the National Register of Historic Places there are guidelines that must be followed and approved. The front door for instance is a new door with historic character - again approved by our architectural review board. This is not a historic restoration - is was a renovation. There was no way we could take the property back to the design of 1863 - it was only two stories during the battle - nor could it be taken to 1888 when the top 2 floors were added - at that time there were 55 little tiny guest rooms with shared baths - that would not have made anyone happy.

The hotel is located in downtown Gettysburg and as you can see by other reviews - it can be a bit noisy at times. Gettysburg is a busy town and unfortunately we can not control what happens outside our walls. We have again with our guidelines used triple pane windows but the sounds does still carry at times. We do recommend a room to the rear if you are a light sleeper, however we have many many many guests who request the room that you stayed in so they can be on the main street. Obviously each person is different and we can not be the perfect place to all.

You also mentioned the shower - I know they are tricky and you are not the first guest to have a question about the use - that is why there is a direction card in each bath. Telephones have been in our suites for 16 years. We removed them two weeks ago to experiment - With the use of cell phones and computers - less and less guests are using the land line phones in our rooms. We recently updated our hotel phone system and decided to remove the phones from our guest rooms. Because of your comment and our aim to please our customers - we will be putting them back in.

Overall - we try our very best to accommodate our guests. It is just hard to fix a problem when you read about it online vs. at the time of a person's stay. So thanks again for the review - I do hope that you will give the hotel a try again in the future.

Very Sincerely,

Reviewed May 17, 2012

A wonderful place in downtown. Clean, cozy, great rooms with seperate sitting areas from bedrooms. Nice touch with breakfast foods in the room with OJ in the refrigerator. Would definitely recommend and already have.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

The James Gettys Hotel is a delightful, homey, friendly, immpecable and incredibly convenient. When we park our car there we rarely move it for the whole weekend, whether it is to walk around the quaint town or visit the beautfuful college campus. This is a very special little hotel.

Room Tip: All the suites are great. The all come with homemade baked goods, twice a day!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill H
Stephanie0917, Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Thank you so much for the great review. It is nice to know that after all these years we still meet your expectations.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Room was great, very clean and offered everything we needed for a quick weekend getaway! Breakfast was great.... Grapes, cantaloupe, homemade blueberry muffins and lemon bread, it was great! Very accommodating for late night arrival. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because the hotel walls are pretty thin....you can hear everyone talking through surrounding walls. Other than that, it was a great time!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and our special amenities here at the James Gettys. Thank you for the nice review.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

At first I was worried about going to a smaller hotel/inn/bed and breakfast after I gotta livingsocial deal for $101 a night at this hotel because I was expecting a small cramped dark room with no Tv but my worries were completely unnecessary. Our suite (all the rooms in the hotel are suites that are uniquely furnished...) was bright and large. It had a seperate bedroom and a living room/kitchenette area, in addition with a large private bathroom. The room was also exceptionally clean. The kitchenette was well stocked with dinnerware, glassware, and freshly ground coffee as well as some teas. The breakfast tray was pretty good but the one day I bit into a muffin and there was a pocket of salt or baking soda that wasn't mixed in so that was a bit disgusting but otherwise the breakfasts were okay. Nice big bathtub. The innkeeper, Katherine was really nice, talkative, and helpful. The room didn't have a safe, even though we didn't care I know that some people would have liked that. The location was pretty good.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travelerjp98
Stephanie0917, Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Good day and thank you for your nice review. I am sorry about the muffin. I wish you had said something about it and we could have brought up something else for you. We bake everything in house and our baked goods are totally home made. We are human and it looks as though there was a moment of stirring that was missed.

Again glad to hear you had a great visit to Gettysburg -

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My Husband and I will definitely return to the James Gettys Hotel. We were pleasantly surprised by the fresh & tasty home baked goods, chocolates, fruit, orange juice and cheese platter. The rooms were spotless and comfy. And, the staff went above and beyond making us feel like family. Love this place! We highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much! The Living Social deal was a great success - we met so many great new people - Have a wonderful summer.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the James Gettys Inn for an overnight recently, and we loved the location. The room was big and the decor was updated. In fact, they had said they recently renovated the room. The treats were a nice touch. The only negative was a little bit of road noise, which you would probably get anywhere in the downtown area. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: April 2012