“Where I'll stay everytime in Gettysburg”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of James Gettys Hotel

James Gettys Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Where I'll stay everytime in Gettysburg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed at the James Getty for a long Labor Day weekend, and it couldn't have been better. Perfectly clean, maintained, and cozy. Perfect location. Friendly staff. Loved having a kitchenette. We really will stay there every time we're in Gettysburg.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
West Sunbury, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

I always select accommodations that are historic and convenient for walking; this hotel was the perfect choice. My husband and I recently stayed in the City Hotel Suite and I will agree with other reviewers that the traffic noise is loud all night. I didn't sleep well and I assume this was the reason because the bed was fine. The rooms were clean and nicely furnished, although not with period furniture. The bathroom was well-vented (no steamed up mirror) and the lighting was good. An investment in a flat screen tv would be nice. All of the staff I talked to were pleasant and helpful. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by noise, choose a room in the back.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Stephanie0917, Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Thank you for your review and suggestions. I first want to say that in no way does our facility ever advertise period furnishings. I addressed this in a previous response. We chose to be modern and comfortable. It is also hard to decorate with Civil War period furnishings when our building today has an exterior from the 1920's. We have too many time periods to be accurate and today's furnishings are much more comfortable.
We are located in downtown Gettysburg on a main street with traffic and businesses. We have triple pane windows and good insulation, but unfortunately we can not control the outside noise. Trust me, if we could we would! So your suggestion to choose a room on the back or even on the fourth floor is a great one.
New televisions are on the way. They are on our Christmas list for this year.! Purchasing 1 television is easy, purchasing 12 is an investment... So Thank you again for your review. I am glad you had a great visit to Gettysburg and I hope you will come back again some day soon.
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

We love staying at this Bed and Breakfast. We go to stay at least 2 or 3 times a year.. We call it our home away from home. They make you feel like family. i love going to spend time but really hate to leave.

Room Tip: We have stayed in almost every one and loved them all.
Pat,
It is always great to have you and Joe stay with us. After being in business for over 15 years, we have become friends with many of our guests, actually even more like family. It is always nice to see a familiar face and get family updates. People like you make our job so easy.
Thanks again and we will see you in December.
Waverly, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

We are veterans of many trips to Gettysburg, but had never stayed at the James Gettys. For a special anniversary recently, we decided to treat ourselves. Wow - what a treat! The room was magnificent - huge, beautifully furnished and spotless. (We have paid a lot more for a lot less room, I will tell you that!) The staff even made "special arrangements" to have wine in the room upon our arrival. Every afternoon a basket of homemade goodies was delivered for breakfast the next morning....muffins and cookies and breads that I can still taste. Whatever we needed....reservations for dinner, directions to an attraction, suggestions for some place different to go....they were right there. We felt like we had the place to ourselves! The location is perfect for walking to too many places to mention. The James Gettys Hotel has spoiled us - I don't know how we will ever be able to stay anywhere else in Gettysburg.

Room Tip: We went all out and got the "Majestic Suite", the largest room in the hotel. I am sure the...
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

The exterior and location are super. The staff was friendly and efficient and our room was very clean and up to date. The price was fine. I only had two reservations which kept me from five stars. First, we stayed in a suite and the bedroom did not have a t.v. This surprised me. Also the suite decor was not as luxurious as I had hoped. It did not feel authentic (as, for example the Dobbin House Restaurant or the Shriver House did). All the same, a very fine place to stay.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Stephanie0917, Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Thank you for your kind review. We have talked over the years about having televisions in the bedrooms of the hotel. This may be something we consider as we update our televisions over the next few months. When we created the hotel we talked about using more 'authentic' decor in our rooms, but our building had changed so much over the years and was only a two story structure during the battle. We created a home away from home atmosphere, which is unique to other places in Gettysburg. We wanted to be different and make guests feel as though they are home. We keep the history alive by old photographs and we named the rooms after hotel names from the building's past.
Again thank you for the nice review and I hope you will join us again some day if ever back in Gettysburg.
Lexington, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Sweet, cozy hotel with an adjacent art gallery/gift shop. The front desk clerk was a bit harried upon our check-in and had forgotten to book our pre-paid ghost tour, but quickly booked us and recommended (and made reservations for us) the Dobbin House Tavern for dinner. We booked the Union Hotel Suite for one night. The fruit and bread basket delivered to our room while we were out was delicious! The fresh cider was a fresh and lovely surprise as well.

While the hotel could use some help with customer service at the front desk (check-out wasn't quite as pleasant as check-in--the clerk was uninterested and indifferent; imagine waving your hand in front of someone, "Hello, are you in there?"), it is a nice establishment that differs from your normal chain hotel.

If you choose to stay at the James Getty Hotel, I highly recommend the Ghosts of Gettysburg tour, offered through the hotel as a package, wherein you also receive a book by former park ranger Mark Nesbitt. It's a reputable tour (unlike some of those offered further up the road) sponsored by Mark Nesbitt and offers much insight about the town of Gettysburg. I also recommend Mr. Nesbitt's books sold locally in the shops of Gettysburg. Ask anyone about his knowledge. They're happy to tell you about him.

Room Tip: Be considerate when walking or pulling luggage through the halls; other guests are sleeping!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Stephanie0917, Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Thank you for your kind review and for your comments. We at the James Gettys Hotel try our best to provide the best customer service possible. Many of us have been in the business for many years and our job comes with ease. I as the manager believe in our staff and realize that working with people is not as easy for some especially those that are shy and lack self confidence. I give our staff the opportunity to grow and learn so they can build upon that confidence. I am sorry you were not greeted by the 'best', but know we are still growing and working to get to those levels.

I am so glad the rest of your stay was great and I hope you will return some day in the future.
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

We just spent two nights in the lovely Majestic Suite. Everything about the stay was a delight. The suite was large, beautifully decorated, and a great place to spend our vacation. The muffins, fruit, and juice delivered every night were delicious! The kitchen was completely equipped. The bathroom was VERY large and pleasant. We would DEFINITELY return to this delightful hotel. The accommodations and staff were first class.

Room Tip: The Majestic is the largest suite, but from the looks of the hotel, I'm sure any of the rooms wo...