“Not worth the time”

Soldier's National Museum
Ranked #60 of 108 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: A former orphanage turned museum.
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We saw a few "good", and some "not so good" museums while we were there. This was one of the "not so good". At $7.00 a person, this was way overpriced. You would be better suited to go to a few other museums in town one of which is free.
I will recommend for my friends and family to NOT go and see this museum.
the best thing about this place would be the history of the orphanage in the basement. However, you cannot see that unless you pay for the ghost tour at night

3  Thank skunklady

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Waste of money. Tourist trap. Only diaramas with horrible descriptions of battles. Rude workers. Skip this.

3  Thank jjlbaldwin
Reviewed April 23, 2012

All it is is plastic action figures. It probably only took about an hr do make the whole thing looks like something my 4 year old made. We went through it in about 10 min it sucked

2  Thank Sheaya
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I agree with other reviewers the fee is not low. However, I have 2 young boys and they loved this place. It has a very large collection of military toys and toy soldiers, and judging by the number of toy soldier stores around town, they are not the only ones making money off the little guys. After the toy soldiers and small artifact collection, you walk through a "Civil War encampment" that has a short recorded message with it highlighting the sacrifice of the soldiers in the war. Finally, it ends off with several dioramas, which my kids still enjoyed.
It is not all related to the battle of Gettysburg or even the civil war, but .... If you have kids and $20 check it out THEY probably won't be disappointed, and all of us can enjoy that.

2  Thank DocZ03
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Out of the 3 "museums" we visited (Hall of Presidents, Jennie Wade, and this one), this was the one my husband and I were the most interested in. But that's really not saying much considering the other two we went to (I have reviewed the other 2 museums too). Early into viewing the various displays, I was like "Duh, this is all just a bunch of displays of TOY SOLDIERS!" There was some cool stuff like some war dress (helmets from different wars, weapons, things like that); a whole wall of artillary and swords; some descriptions about those wars... but overall, this was just alright. In reading some of the other reviews, I would slightly agree that the lady manning the museum could have been nicer too.

Maybe some of the other ones we didn't have time to visit were of more educational value. :o( The last part of the self-guided tour (the whole thing was self-guided), were 10 different scenes (all with miniatures and toy soldiers) with a recording that described the various battles of the Civil War, not just those in Gettysburg. See some of my pictures.

Length of visit depends on how interested you are in reading the little placards about the different wars in the exhibit, and if you are patient enough to stay and listen through all the recordings of the 10 scenes.

You of course end the "tour" in their gift shop. In looking up the website, I think I'm starting to realize that all these surrounding museums could be owned by the Gettysburg Tour Center (the one that gives Guided Bus Tours). While the bus tour is good, I didn't much care for the museums.

1  Thank CLaw_9