“Kids loved it!”

Gettysburg Heritage Center and Museum Admission
Ranked #16 of 103 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover... The Town, The People, Their Stories. Bordering the Gettysburg National Military Park battlefield, the Heritage Center is an educational and entertaining museum for families and tour groups of all ages. Learn what the Battle of Gettysburg meant to the people who lived here during the war. Utilizing artifacts, historical documents, interactive displays, and 3-D productions, visitors will gain a better understanding of the events that took place in the town before, during and after the battle. Find out how the people reacted to the invasion of the town - freeze, flee or fight? Hear accounts of ordinary people doing extraordinary things in a time when their home was in turmoil. Located in the lobby of the Gettysburg Heritage Center is one of the largest and extensive gift stores. Offering a wide selection of books, apparel, gifts, collectibles, games & toys, replica weapons and much more! There is something for everyone at the Gettysburg Heritage Center!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Kids loved it!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

We went here as part of our package thinking it was still the wax museum. They are changing it over and it will be fantastic!
We watched a 20 min video that perfectly explained the battle of Gettysburg in kid friendly terms them at kept them engaged the entire time. Absolutely awesome.

2 Thank michelewelker

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Changes to museum are fantastic... a MUST see !”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The former wax museum was a nice display in its day however it had grown outdated and tired looking. My last 4 trips to Gettysburg I have skipped this museum.

Today I noticed that it had a FREE ADMISSION sign (due to it being under renovations) and it has a new sign out front that says "Heritage Museum".

We decided to check it out and we are glad we did! Although the renovations are not complete, you can get an idea of incredible it will be.

I have briefly browsed the previous reviews that seem to be negative toward the changes. Personally, I feel the changes are overdue and necessary. I cant wait to return next year to see the finished museum !

Visited July 2014
3 Thank WendyHC70
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Was good, but no longer there!”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was a great Wax Museum of the local Civil War Battle, but has been sold and converted to something else

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Hal01
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
286 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Very good for the gift shop, heartbreaking that it was changed”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

First and foremost - this is THE gift shop to visit when in Gettysburg. Great selection of books, shirts, and collectibles. With that out of the way - this was the site of an amazing wax museum, telling the story of the war in very well designed displays. However, the figures were auctioned off and the museum is being changed to show life at the time of the Civil War - which I believe is a shame as this was a great museum and one of the highlights of any trip to the town of Gettysburg.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Andy P
Stephanie L, Manager at Gettysburg Heritage Center, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves in our gift store, and strive to have the best products, at good prices for our customers.

The decision to change the museum was one that took much time and planning. We worked with various groups, trying to determine what was the best direction to go, and what history needed to be told in Gettysburg. The response from visitors, schools, teachers, neighboring businesses, and many other groups was that the wax museum needed to be updated. During the process, we found that many visitors did not know about the town of Gettysburg and the people who lived here before, during and after the battle. There was a human interest story about the reality of war, and how the lives of the people living in Gettysburg were altered from that point on. Gettysburg was a robust town with higher education, gas lighting, the telegraphy, 8 churches, hotels, 3 newspapers, and a thriving business community. We want to tell the story from the perspective of the people who were here, and how life changed for them.

Renovations continue as we work on our new exhibit. Once it is done, I invite you back to see the changes we've made, and see the new museum.

Thank you!
Garden City, Michigan
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“As a gift store”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

This is THE place if you are searching for the Penn Cable Network Gettysburg Battlefield Guide's filmed Battlewalks. I was in my glory when I entered this store and found over 50 titles. I could watch the Park Rangers talk about the battle over and over again, so I buy a few DVDs every time I go. Only place in town that offers more than just 1 or 2.

Visited August 2013