“Great location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gettystown Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed in the Overlook 2 Suite. It is on the second floor of a red house two doors south of the main tavern and right across the street from the National Cemetery entrance. You check in at the Curiosity Shop in the main house. The Suite itself was nice, clean and plenty big enough for the two of us. We especially liked the sunny sitting area on one end of the Suite. Breakfast was good - french toast, fruit salad, muffins, eggs, bacon, home fries, etc.

The best part about the inn was the location. It is within easy walking distance of the tour places, the ghost tours, a good number of souvenir shops and restaurants, and the National Park Service Visitor's Center/Museum is only a few blocks away. We walked from the inn all the way to the High Water Mark Trail and back one afternoon.

The only downside to the inn was, ironically, the flip side to the best part -- there was some street noise that kept us up for a little while on Saturday night. But the location saved us so much driving hassle we would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank wunder

Reviewed October 13, 2006

My wife and I took a trip to Gettysburg to visit the battlefield. Our room (Meade Room) proved to be an excellent choice. The location was also perfect and close to shops/ food/ park. The food at the Dobbin House was awesome. The breakfast served only to the persons staying at the inn was wonderful and each morning was different. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank roger3116
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Me, my husband and 13yr. old nephew stayed in the Gettystown Bed and Breakfast/Lee Suite next door to the Dobbin House Restaurant for two nights, June 20 and 21. The old house is right on Steinwehr St. but street noise was not a problem in the Lee Suite as the common parlor room is the very front of the house with the Lee right behind it. Both rooms were very clean at check-in. The suite has a queen bed room with a full bathroom and a doorway from the bedroom to the small sitting room with a daybed, rocking chair, small desk, small TV, and small refrigerator. My nephew enjoyed having his own space in the sitting room and we had ours in the queen room. You can close the door between the two rooms for privacy. There is also an entry door from the sitting room that leads to a small porch on the side of the house to the outside parking lot. We were able to park close to the door. There is also a front entry through a large front porch (facing Steinwehr St.) into the house that the Lee Suite is in. The suite is on the first floor as you walk in the front entry down a short hallway. The Reynolds, Steinwehr and Stuart rooms are upstairs from the front entryway. All the rooms share a common parlor downstairs that has a TV and coffee maker in the front of the house. The furniture in the Lee Suite was very nice antiques or antique reproductions. It's an old house that does need some cosmetic work but otherwise in pretty good condition. Breakfast is served in the Dobbin House Restaurant and is a good hot breakfast, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, juice, etc.. The best thing about this place is the location. You can walk to shops, restaurants, convenience store, museums, National Cemetary and East Cemetary Hill (part of battlefield). In the evenings before going off to dinner we would sit on the porch and watch the people and walkers on ghost tours go by. The Sleepy Hollow of G-burg Ghostwalks operates out of a giftshop right next to the house so we did a ghost walk with them. I read some reviews on problems with the Meade Suite which is attached to the back of this old house that the Lee Suite is in. I did not have those problems with this suite. I would stay here again.

13  Thank GeeZee
Reviewed August 25, 2005

We stayed in the Lincoln Suite at the Gettystown Inn on 8/3/05. The suite was perfect for our family: my wife & me...and our daughters: ages 12 and 7. The accomodations were spacious, but helped put us in the "period"--we felt we were in the middle of the Civil War!! Our daughters shared the sitting room; one slept in the pull-out couch while the other used the roll-away. We enjoyed the master bedroom. We also had use of a huge kitchen and an adequate bathroom. While located on the main "drag". the traffic in front of the Inn was not oppressive (in fact we enjoyed it!) . We were within walking distance of many of Gettysburg's main attractions. We ate dinner at the Dobbins Tavern--it was Disney-esque in quality (ie the ambience seemed a bit forced and the food quality did not match the price nor the hype). However...the breakfast (included in the room rate) was above average. We loved sitting on our porch at night...watching the "ghost" tours travel to the cemetary. Overall...we loved our experience and would urge others to stay here.

Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank Buccos
Reviewed July 31, 2005

Ever daydream about being in a different time and place? (Namely, out of your cubicle and away from a computer)? I was looking for a great escape, and I made my way to Gettysburg for the weekend... the Dobbin House was the highlight of the trip! The food was INCREDIBLELY DELICIOUS, the ambiance was perfectly Civil War era, and the servers were fabulous. It is more than just good food, it is an EXPERIENCE. Be sure and get reservations early in the day. Dress is casual, so don't worry about being casual from your battlefield strolls. However, if you want to make it a nice evening out (romantic date, birthday, anniversary), dressy attire is appropriate as well. Try the Primal Rib of Beef or the William Penn Pork Tenderloin with Raspberry sauce. You won't be sorry! All entrees come with salad and a choice of potato (white or sweet). ENJOY!

Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank Eirebella
Reviewed July 30, 2005

You will notice that most of the reivews here are for the Dobbin House Tavern - which is the restaurant here and which is very good! We spent one night in the Overlook II, and found it to be fine. It was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. My niece thought the pull-out couch was comfy as well. On the down side, the toilet was a little slow (to be expected with the age of the place I guess), and the A/C was a window unit. It is literally right across the street from the National Cemetary, so the road is somewhat busy, but was not a real problem. It was fine for one night, but if I go back to Gettysburg, I would try to stay right in the middle of town at either the Best Western or the James Getty's Inn.

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank SherlGrapevine
A TripAdvisor Member
Ft. Myers, FL.
Reviewed July 12, 2005

Wow! from the online pics we were expecting something much nicer! We stayed in the Meade room. Were should I start with the problems?! First, when we walked in, we noticed that the rose carpet had huge, nasty black stains all over it. Next, the bathroom! The shower/tub was something akin to that of a roach motel! Paint was chipping of the shower walls, not to mention the fact that the water didn't drain so while showering you are standing in a foot of water. Next, the wooden door separating our room from the one next door might as well have been made of paper, there is a large inch and a half gap at the bottom of that door that allows every sound to come through.
Now, the room's decore was also very shoddy. The sheets on the bed were of the cheapest motel variety! Also, the folks working in the gift shop/checkin counter were rather abrasive when I called to ask directions and when I asked for info. about the area in person.
Both mornings the breakfast was essentially the same. I would rate it mediocre at best! Scrambled eggs both mornings, the first with way too much greasy cheese, the second accompnied with sausage instead of bacon.
The only positive of our stay was the Tavern itself. It is worth visiting for dinner just because of its history, built circa 1776. I would reccomend eating in the downstairs tavern (very quaint) as opposed to the overpriced upstairs dining room (again, just ok food). Also it's in a good location to shops and the battlefield.
Gettysburg is an awesome place to visit for history buffs, but I would suggest the very cute (surprisingly) Travel Lodge accross the street from the Dobbin house, or even the on B+B that is actually in the battlefield.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member