All reviews the dobbin house tavern reynolds room front porch front of the house lincoln gave the gettysburg address stayed nights each morning coffee maker belgian waffles small fridge national cemetery sitting area first floor civil war visit gettysburg wonderful stay meade
Reviewed July 31, 2005

Ever daydream about being in a different time and place? (Namely, out of your cubicle and away from a computer)? I was looking for a great escape, and I made my way to Gettysburg for the weekend... the Dobbin House was the highlight of the trip! The food was INCREDIBLELY DELICIOUS, the ambiance was perfectly Civil War era, and the servers were fabulous. It is more than just good food, it is an EXPERIENCE. Be sure and get reservations early in the day. Dress is casual, so don't worry about being casual from your battlefield strolls. However, if you want to make it a nice evening out (romantic date, birthday, anniversary), dressy attire is appropriate as well. Try the Primal Rib of Beef or the William Penn Pork Tenderloin with Raspberry sauce. You won't be sorry! All entrees come with salad and a choice of potato (white or sweet). ENJOY!

Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank Eirebella
Reviewed July 30, 2005

You will notice that most of the reivews here are for the Dobbin House Tavern - which is the restaurant here and which is very good! We spent one night in the Overlook II, and found it to be fine. It was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. My niece thought the pull-out couch was comfy as well. On the down side, the toilet was a little slow (to be expected with the age of the place I guess), and the A/C was a window unit. It is literally right across the street from the National Cemetary, so the road is somewhat busy, but was not a real problem. It was fine for one night, but if I go back to Gettysburg, I would try to stay right in the middle of town at either the Best Western or the James Getty's Inn.

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank SherlGrapevine
Reviewed July 12, 2005

Wow! from the online pics we were expecting something much nicer! We stayed in the Meade room. Were should I start with the problems?! First, when we walked in, we noticed that the rose carpet had huge, nasty black stains all over it. Next, the bathroom! The shower/tub was something akin to that of a roach motel! Paint was chipping of the shower walls, not to mention the fact that the water didn't drain so while showering you are standing in a foot of water. Next, the wooden door separating our room from the one next door might as well have been made of paper, there is a large inch and a half gap at the bottom of that door that allows every sound to come through.
Now, the room's decore was also very shoddy. The sheets on the bed were of the cheapest motel variety! Also, the folks working in the gift shop/checkin counter were rather abrasive when I called to ask directions and when I asked for info. about the area in person.
Both mornings the breakfast was essentially the same. I would rate it mediocre at best! Scrambled eggs both mornings, the first with way too much greasy cheese, the second accompnied with sausage instead of bacon.
The only positive of our stay was the Tavern itself. It is worth visiting for dinner just because of its history, built circa 1776. I would reccomend eating in the downstairs tavern (very quaint) as opposed to the overpriced upstairs dining room (again, just ok food). Also it's in a good location to shops and the battlefield.
Gettysburg is an awesome place to visit for history buffs, but I would suggest the very cute (surprisingly) Travel Lodge accross the street from the Dobbin house, or even the on B+B that is actually in the battlefield.

11  Thank Cosmopolitan26402
Reviewed June 25, 2005

I just returned from my first visit to Gettysburg. On my last night there my daughter and I walked to the "Dobbin House" for dinner. We decided on an earlier dinner this time so we walked over around 5 pm.
I was expecting a long wait , because we did not make any reservations as recommended by the establishment itself. To my surprise the hostess said it would only be a 5-10 minute wait. So to kill the time we walked upstairs and checked out some artifacts and the hidden "Slave Quarters". This was very interesting, because it was almost like a hidden floor hiding behind a secret wall. { just be careful of the steep narrow steps}.
When they called our name I was very estatic to see where they were seating my daughter and me. In what was the front parlor/living room in front of the fire-place in these high wing back chairs. They were the only ones in this room. My teenager felt like Royalty, and we kinda felt a little goofy! {The only bad-side was trying to push these heavy chairs out to leave}.
Now for the food. Our waiter was very kind, and he noticed that I had brought a camera, and he asked if he could take our picture for us. {Thank you Bryan} All of your meals come with soup or salad, a basket of different breads/muffins, etc. We both ordered the "Hunters Chicken" which was 2 generous sized chicken breasts. One serving could have fed the both of us. You get a choice of a sweet potato or regularbaked. They offered us dessert menus, but we were too full to even think of looking at it.
So I highly recommend this place to all fellow travelers. Make this a must see when you are in Gettysburg. There is also a Tavern for the smaller appetite which offers sandwiches/soups.

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank Jaylyn
Reviewed August 24, 2004

Don't miss the Dobbin House and the Gettystown Inn if you visit Gettysburg. The dinner at the Dobbin Tavern was great, especially the beef and barley soup. Not like Campbell's at all! The roasted chicken was awesome! The bed & breakfast room was a great 2 roomer, as we had three kids in one room and us in the other, overlooking the cemetary where Lincoln gave his famous speech. The first part of breakfast was waiting for us the next morning, followed soon after by the hot food. A great meal before going off on the tour of the Gettysburg battles.

You have a lot of choices to stay here, but this has got to be one of the best!

13  Thank jrdaddy