Farnsworth House Inn
Comfort Suites Gettysburg(Gettysburg)(Great Value!)
$108
ComfortSuites
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson(Gettysburg)(Great Value!)
$125
Country Inn
Wyndham Gettysburg(Gettysburg)(Great Value!)
$147
$127
Hampton Inn Gettysburg(Gettysburg)(Great Value!)
$125
Days Inn Gettysburg(Gettysburg)(Great Value!)
$78
$76
Quality Inn Gettysburg Battlefield(Gettysburg)(Great Value!)
$110
Gettysburg Hotel(Gettysburg)
$189
$157
Official Website
  • Pool
1863 Inn of Gettysburg(Gettysburg)(Great Value!)
$112
$108
Travelocity
$119
$107
Hotels.com
The Lodges at Gettysburg(Gettysburg)(Great Value!)
$149
$120
Travelocity
All reviewsjennie wadecuster roomblack roomghost tourpumpkin frittersgame piedowsing rodsghost hunthaunted historyapple butterspoon breadcivil warhaunted roomparanormal experiencesbullet holesbed and breakfastnice breakfast
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I took my teenage grand daughter to Gettysburg and we spent the night in the Custer Room at the Farnsworth Hotel. We had such a delightful time. We took part in a Seance with a wonderful group leader who definitely knew her stuff! It was worth the money. Our room was stocked full of artifacts of the past. We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant and I would not rate that as the best but the breakfast there is great! All in all it was an extremely fun time, a little scary which made it even more of a grand time for the both of us. This is one of those hotels that I will go to again.

Room Tip: If you are interested in ghosts do the research ahead of time and ask for the rooms where you might feel their presence! :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gshwesternpa
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Love it here. Have stayed here twice and want to come back. The staff is very nice and love the breakfast. I also love the rooms. I stayed in the McFarland room and the bed was so comfy. We didn't have any experiences this time but I have investigated this room before and I caught orbs. We met another guest and she said her sink turned on and no one was in the bathroom. Love hearing all the stories about the Inn.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Jennifer J
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We did the ghost hunt tour by the High School Football field which our Guide Ken says was one of the battles near Cemetery Hill. Ken was very open about what we might or might not encounter on our hunt. We were given a bag of hunting equipment to use and we were giving a briefing on how to use the equipment. After a short talk at the area we were allowed to go and basically explore on our own and Ken was available if we had any questions or problems with the equipment. Overall we had a great time and I was able to photograph one of the best pictures of a orb that I have ever taken. My only advice to people taking to tour would be to bring along a small flashlight. You can explore the paths in the woods and it is also helpful when setting up the equipment. Overall we really enjoyed ourselves and had a great guide for the tour. Like anything else you might do, you get out of the experience what you put into it.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Matthew H
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I want to start by saying..what in the world are people's problem with this place in previous reviews? I swear people have to find something to complain about and instead of being human beings and talking with staff about their issue, the run and whine online. If you hated it that bad, why did you continue your stay?? One person writes they hate B&B's but stayed here then bashed the place. You should have left and went accross the street to the boring chain hotel.

With that said, I want to give you my opinions of the Farnsworth. We stayed July 6-8th 2014 after the 4th of July crowd. We booked the Sara Black (most haunted) room back in March. Got to the gift shop at 3pm for check in. The woman there was very pleasant and sweet. Took no time at all to get us checked in. She printed our receipt and walked us up to our room in the old portion of the house. We knew about the house's history and layout already, but she did ask us if we were aware. She explained the details of our stay like breakfast times and where to enter then left us to get settled.
The room was beautifully victorian decorated. The room was very clean and considering how many people come in and out of that place, I was amazed. There is a lot of noise from the street but oh well. You can't help that. Anyone who owns an old home like me understands how this can be. We did hear a little noise from the room next door occasionally but again, IT'S AN OLD HOME! Not really a big deal. As a matter of fact, this place was more soundproof than mine. The AC kept the room nice and cool but it was noisy. If you try to do an investigation, you'll need to turn it off. The bathroom was awesome. HUGE bathroom! Nice touch with the pull chain toilet. Whoever said there was no hot water is ridiculous. Never had an issue with the hot water or water pressure. They have a water saver shower head so maybe that could be an issue for some. The mattress on the bed is pretty worn. That was the only thing I felt needed replacing. So many people stay in this room so the mattress sunk in the middle. I still slept good on it though and did not experience any back aches. They have it nicely made with blankets and mattress padding under the comforter. The room was cozy and it felt like we were in the 1800's, loved it!
The rest of the B&B was the same way. Victorian decorated, clean and the staff wears period clothing. Added to the ambiance of the place. Don't expect large, spacious hallways and rooms, they were not common as people were smaller then. You must go outside to get to the Tavern, gift shop and beer garden. All were exceptional!
Which brings me to my review of the food at the Farnsworth. We had breakfast in the main dining room. We walk out our door, down the main staircase and there we were. Our waitress Kayla greeted us each time at the door and let us sit wherever we wanted. The dining room is again, victorian, clean and comfortable. They had coffee ready on the center tables for us to help ourselves. We were given menus and she promptly took our order and attended to our needs. It was especially fun talking with her about any "experiences" we may have had. We were treated very well and service was personable and inviting. Only those staying at the Inn can have breakfast here and they allow you to come down anytime from 8-930am so there was never many in the dining room at the same time. We never had to wait long for anything and the food was great! I had the 2 egg platter each time. Loved the potates, different than the usual hasbrowns you get at diners, etc. The wheat bread was exceptionally good too. The food was cooked and prepared nicely. Very happy with breakfast at the Farnsworth. There was a choice for french toast and belgium waffle but I did not have them so I cannot comment on it but I imagine they were good considering my experience.
We had lunch one afternoon in the garden area. There are flowers everywhere and a fountain. The tables are newer and kept clean. I didnt feel like I had the people next to me in my lap. The placement of the tables was done well. It was so inviting! I had dinner at the Dobbin House in their outdoor dining area one night and the Farnsworth's was much, much nicer! Dobbins just didn't have the ambiance and cleanliness outside that we had at the Farnsworth. I had the chicken ceasar salad. They gave me Jennie Wade bread and apple butter with it. Both were very good. The salad was seasoned well and not drowned or too dry on dressing. The menu has some very nice selections. I wanted to try a flatbread but never got to. I guess I'll have to go back! :-)
One night we chose to have dinner in the main dining room of the Farnsworth. This is the menu with the selections of the time period. All I have to say is WOW! You have to try it. We were given so much food for a small price. I ordered the PA Dutch chicken pot pie and my husband got the famous game pie. All of this came with pickled watermelon rinds, 1 vegatable, spoon bread and jennie wade bread. We were so full we couldnt finish our dinner. My pot pie was delicious. You can tell it was homemade. Very flavorfull with a delicate crust. My husband said he really liked the game pie..he ate the whole thing so I guess it was good, lol! We chose the pumpkin fritters as our veggie and YUM! They were a treat. Tasted like dessert. They reminded me of hush puppies but only made of pumpkin. The spoon bread was also very good. It was a creamy corn bread. Savory and fabulous! The picked watermelon rinds were sweet and sour. Never had this before and we ended up liking it. The whole meal was satisfying and delicious! Something different than the norm. Service was again fast, attentive and courteous. Was never waiting long for anything. I'm glad we did this, it was a great choice for dinner.
Now for our "expieriences" in a haunted B&B. I have to say the place had that "feel" all through it. When you walk in, you'll know what I mean. There's a presence to it so I don't doubt that stuff happens here. At night after the tours are gone and in the early morning is when we started listening and watching for stuff to happen. One night we did hear footsteps outside in the hall. We opened our door to look into the hallway. They walked past our door and seemed to stop at the first step toward the attic. We heard the distinct sound of shoes on the floor and not just the floor creaking. That same night my husband was fiddling with the TV remote and said he felt something push on it while it was in his hand. He asked for them to do it again and it happened again. Something was pressing on the end of it and pushing it down. The morning of check out I had a crazy experience. I was in the shower and when I went to turn the water off the lights went out. I looked up and saw a dark shadow and what looked like a flash of light fly right past me toward the wall! I was shocked! It happened so quickly. The lights came back on as soon as I saw the flash. I thought it was my husband messing with me because he brought a flashlight. I called him over asking what was that? Was that you?? He asked me the same thing..what was that? He said he was laying on the bed looking at his phone when he saw the light go out in his peripheral vision and didnt think much of it at first until I said something. He said he heard a noise before it happened. It was so strange. I saw the ambient light from the window through the curtain and then the darker shadow pass over with the flash after it. Really strange. Never saw anything like that in my life! WOW!

The Farnsworth was overall fantastic! We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lilcon
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We wanted a last-minute getaway and found the Belle Boyd Room open at the Farnsworth House Inn. I was hesitant after reading the reviews but went anyway. We were very pleased! It was a very interesting inn and you could tell that the staff was really trying hard to please. It still is a bit unorganized, but the good and service were good, everything clean and neat, The ghost stories are a little lame but it was a very nice change of pace and I'm glad we went.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple