“Always wanted to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 25 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Always wanted to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I've been to Gettysburg numerous times and have always grabbed food at the Farnsworth Inn and have always wanted to stay there. I looked at the prices and was surprised how affordable it was especially since it's located in the heart of the town within walking distance of almost anything. They also have a parking lot which I found very good. Breakfast was delicious, served in the garden. I didn't know much about the rooms when booking so it turned out that the room I picked, the Jennie Wade room wasn't in the actual house which was somewhat disappointing since I was excited to stay at a 'haunted' bed & breakfast. Make sure to lock your door! Sometimes the customers think your room is actually the bed room, that happened once and we did not make that mistake again. The rooms were very cute and cozy. All together, I would stay there again and certainly suggest it to anyone wanting to stay in Gettysburg.

Room Tip: If I had my choice I would stay in a room in the actual Farnsworth Inn. The Jennie Wade room is not...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank random_chibi13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

First of all I have to admit that I did not do enough research on this place before making our reservation. So, I take some of the responsiblilty for my dissapointment.
With that being said... I hate to say that this place gets a thumbs down in the aspect of being a bed & breakfast. Let alone a haunted b & b. Let's see... where do I start? The price for our room was about $212 for one night. Checking in was a joke. Though we were allowed to check in early, it was a good thing. Because it took about 45 minutes to get it done. The one person who was doing the reservations was also taking calls, giving others info about Farnsworth activities, making new reservations, checking us in, and giving orders to other employees. She took about five phone calls during our check in. When we got the keys she had someone show us how to DRIVE to our room. WTF!!! When I made the reservation she did say that the room was not part of the main house. However, I thought that meant it was at the back of the house. Not a 1/4 mile drive down a gravel road. And I am not exagerating. Our room was part of a converted warehouse type bldg. It was a large room with a huge full kitchen. The bedroom was downstairs with no a/c. You had to go upstairs to the kitchen and the bathroom was right next to the frig. The window a/c was upstairs. They did have a fan to help circulate air downstairs. The bed was nice and comfy. That is really important to my gf. The floors were really dirty. I threw away my socks due to how dirty they were. The shower had a rotten food smell in it. No, it was well water smell either. I think someone was eating in there before we checked in (haha). Oh, I can't forget to mention the mouse traps we found in the room. And yes, they were set. We meandered around the Farnsworth area quite a bit. We would ask questions about the place to those who worked there. The most common answer we got was, "I don't know." Really??? I would think as famous as this place is, that they would be able to answer questions. We PAID for a visit to the cellar where it is reported to have paranormal activity. Yes, I am a believer. What about it? Though I think we got took again. The breakfast was bland and unimpressive. Though it was not the typical muffins & fruit stuff you get a other b & b's. I will say that I would not stay here again. But this is my/our opinion. If any advice I could give to others would be to make sure your room is in the main part of the house. They also have rooms right next to the restaurant where it is high traffic area with employees and general public. Gettysburg itself was alot of fun. A bit over commercializied. But once you get past that. You will enjoy yourself. It's kinda like a smaller version of Gatlinburg. With some real history behind it. Their mature tour / ghost stories time. Just not worth the $11 pp. All they do is tell the same stories with cursing. Big deal. Honestly, I get that language from my girlfriend all the time for free :)

Enjoy Gettysburg. Now we are off to St. Maarteen.

Room Tip: Be sure your room is in the main part of the house.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank scott l
Minden, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Let me begin my saying that my husband and I have enjoyed many good meals and fun times at your establishment over the last few years. It was always a highlight of our trips to Gettysburg. However, things have really changed. Saying I was disappointed in our visit on September 4, 2013 is such an understatement. We had built up the evening so much to our six friends who were joining us at Gettysburg this year. The server was great. However, the meals were not. Seven of the eight meals were less than OK, with two being totally inadequate. I felt sorry for Ashley who tried to improve the situation, but really couldn’t fix the meals. I am not sure if there is a problem in the kitchen, or a new owner, or whatever. I feel that you have a fabulous place with loads of character upon which you could really build a great restaurant. It had been great before but I’m not sure that I would ever venture back. Actually when asked by a stranger for a place to eat, one of our friends told them to ‘avoid’ your establishment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank GRIT22

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Jane Lew, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I love this restaurant! Such good food and wonderful staff! Love the feeling of stepping back in time! I also love the Jennie Wade Bread! Yum! We have dined here a couple times and they have never let us down! Definitely recommend when you're in Gettysburg!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank StevieE_13
strongstown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have been eating here for years. We have always loved it...UNTIL the last time. The menu, service and cleanliness have changed. It is now overpriced poor quality food. I'm not sure if someone else has taken over or if the owners have given up, but something has gone wrong here. It used to be period dining with quality food...now it seems to be frozen/precooked/instant food items. I have been very disappointed with many of the restaurants in Gettysburg this summer...maybe it's time to stop visiting for a while. Such a shame that so many of the nice places are turning into dumps :(

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stephanie S
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed in the Jenny Wade room. Dark, dingy, and dirty. The window was right on the patio dining area, so you could not open the drapes. Lots of noise from the dining area and nearby kitchen. TV didn't work, room was not made up by 4pm. If we wouldn't have called the front desk, I doubt it would have been done at all. No control over the heat/ac, alternated between stuffy and freezing. Staff seemed forlorn and unhappy. Food was good, as is the location. Parking is convenient. If you are a ghost hunter (it's supposedly haunted), it might be worth the price. If not, there are much nice B&Bs in Gettysburg.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the garden house, all the rooms are next to the tavern and kitchen, and are very n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Liz D
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here for one night. It was my first time staying at a B&B. They were great. They have a cute book store that reminds you of simpler times. That is where you check in at. They also have a fine dinning area, tavern and out door dinning. While on our trip we went on ghost tours. At one point we did theirs. It was wonderful as we were taken inside the B&B where we fell in love with the beauty of the place. We heard tales of haunting so we were able to get a room. What a great night! They also rent Scooters. We were not able to get a scooter but we will be sure to do it next time! All around a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple