“Cozy outside seating” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 25 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Snow Camp
“Cozy outside seating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

My son & I decided to stop here for a quick bite to eat while touring Gettysburg. We both ordered a sandwich platter. The panini style sandwich I had was OK. He had the roast beef sandwich. He enjoyed his. I think for the price they could have offered more. We wanted to try some of the local fare on their appetizer listing, but the waitress stated they were not available.

If you enjoy eating outside on a beautiful day, this is the place to go. Be prepared to pay for the experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here last summer (August 2012) and will not return. I had really good memories from dining here many years ago. The food, restaurant and staff were all fantastic. I had never stayed overnight in any of the rooms so I really had high expectations when making my reservation. What a disappointment. When we checked in we were just handed our key. No explanation as to where our room was located, or anything about the free breakfast in the morning. The girl at the desk wasn't very friendly. We booked the Custer Room which looked large online. Upon entering the room, it was very tiny and cramped. The mattress was clearly sagging in the middle and we did not have a good night sleep due to this old mattress. The bathroom only had a very small shower stall. No tub. When you open the shower door to turn the water on, the shower sprays water out the door. It was awful. There is no air conditioning so you must leave the windows open which face the courtyard where people are eating and very near the front street. We heard noise and annoying music all night long. At 2:45 am we walked outside to investigate and found the music coming from the tavern which had speakers in the courtyard. The place was closed. No one was around. This was not a ghost. Someone working forgot to turn it off before they left for the night. It was very loud. We complained about this when we checked out the next morning. We had a very long drive the next day and no sleep. They promised to give us a credit on our card for a portion of our stay. It never happened. Breakfast was terrible. Dinner the night before in the dining room was very good but not even close to the dining experience i had years ago. This place is not worth the price and with so many places in town to eat and stay, don't go here. Everyone has an attitude and the owners just don't care anymore. It is sad because back in the 80's this was the place to go. We went back to Gettysburg last week (August 2013) but stayed some place else. We did go to the tavern here to try a beer and lunch. It wasn't good. The goober peanut soup was not how I remembered. It was very watery. My boyfriend ordered their burger which they said was great. It was very similar to the kind you get at a football game. Frozen, thin patty and cheap bun. Frozen fries. Nothing special at all. A waste of time and money. I used to love this place. I don't know what's happened to it. Someone needs to read these reviews and show some care and make some major changes. This was my favorite place to have dinner years ago. I was very disappointed on my return last year and again last week. I won't be going back.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the Custer Room. The mattress was uncomfortable. The room was dark and cramped...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dusty0778

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Fairmont, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

This Inn is beautiful. The feeling of staying in a house that not only witnessed but played a significant role in the battle is amazing. I felt so relaxed in the Sarah Black room. The location is wonderful and their veranda is very relaxing. Their drinks rock too!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Branchville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed in the Lincoln Room on 7/20. There was quite a wait to get a cocktail or food. The location is great and close to everything. The room was clean and well appointed. The staff were very friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
G
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I never write reviews - BUT MY EXPERIENCE WAS SO AWFUL - I just had to!
We waited over 1.5 hours for food, which when it arrived, was cold and bland. We said we weren't happy and the manager cam out, who then preceded to be rude and aggressive because WE DIDN'T ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE! She should not be running that place. The serving staff I felt sorry for. We were offered nothing as a sorry and expected to pay full price and tip! After a long heated debate, where the rude manager talked down to our table, we received 10% off! NOT GOOD ENOUGH! If she had handled it better and not expected us to pay for such terrible food and service, I wouldn't be writing this!!!

It's such a shame. Our party was made up of three tables and about 16 guests. WE WILL NOT BE RETURNING EVER! There loss!

It's over priced, low quality (claiming to be high), and will surely disappoint.

I cannot advise people enough. Do not eat here!

Room Tip: Don't eat here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank R E
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

we are there for lunch. beautifully preserved property.. good service and atmosphere. reasonable prices. great soup! the a/c could have been better but they were trying to cool a 200 year old building

• Stayed July 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is very sad for me to say, but, as a longtime fan of the Farnsworth, they have lost me as a customer. The service is poor, the women who answer the phone are VERY rude, and everything about the Farnsworth House has turned from wonderful and inviting to grungy, dirty, and unappealling.

They have dumbed down their dining room menu to their bar menu (even though their website has their old GOOD menu still on it - Hello! False advertising!) and thought no one would notice. Then, told all the customers who complained that the "150 Gettysburg Anniversary Committee forced them (and all of the restaurants in Gettysburg) to change their menu to get more people in and out faster." When I questioned the other nice restaurants in the area, they had no idea what I was talking about. Oh, and the food was not good.

The owner really needs to reassess what is going on at his establishment. Not everyone cares about ghosts, ghost tours, seances, or haunted houses. Some people come to Gettysburg because they are interested in history.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. The price does not warrant what you get.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends