“Breakfast - Open To The Public”

Farnsworth House Inn
Ranked #14 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Brentwood, Tennessee, United States
“Breakfast - Open To The Public”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Not a Farnsworth House B & B Guest? No problem - The Inn is open tot he public for breakfast and it's terrific! I just spent a week in Gettysburg and while I didn't stay at the Farnsworth - this time - I did have breakfast there every day. As well as lunch in Sweeneys Tavern one day. The Inn is one of the best in Gettysburg the staff go above and beyond and the food is always delicious! I'll be back! - Steve in Nashville

Room Tip: I have stayed in the Sara Black & the Custer rooms in the past and can highly recommend them.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChiggerTracks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 3, 2013

On our way, I received a phone call saying there had been a mixup and the room we booked had been booked a year ago by someone else(a lie! talked to the people who stayed in this room and they had only booked it in February) and apologized profusely. They compensated us with dinner in the house and 2 ghost tour tickets. Dinner was so so. Wouldn't eat there again for the pricing. Food wasn't worth it. IMHO. But it was filling and not bad; just not worth the price. The ghost tour was the WORST part of the whole experience. The ENTIRE time the tour guide kept looking at his phone for either text messages or the time. If you don have time for this job; dont do it!!!!! The rooms are clean and NOT musty smelling as othes have reported. We wre in te McFarlane rom. Nothing happened until the morning of checkout. Suffice it to say, that part was what we came for and weren't disappointed

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Todd D
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Farnsworth for our yearly anniversary trip. We had a great time as usual. We can't compliment the staff enough. They are all always so personable & helpful -we love it there! This is the 2nd time we stayed overnight in the Sweney Room...lot's of pacing by an unseen visitor next to the bed, right outside the bathroom and outside the bedroom door. Someone (or thing) jiggling the door handle trying to get in. I'm not ashamed to say that I slept with the lights on (which didn't exactly thrill my husband :) Breakfast was awesome. Looking forward to our visit next year!

Room Tip: If you are afraid of ghost's stay away from the Black and Sweney Rooms!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheSalladinos
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I were so please. We will be back. I did read the reviews but wanted to find out for myself. 1st if you come during off season, what kind of entertaiment do you think you are going to get? You should have planed better. 2nd, the house has been there since the civil war, it is not going to have that "new car smell". 3rd, since the house was built in the 1800's they did not have master bedroom. 4th, I don't think they can say "ghost we have quest today,please do something to scare them". 5th, we will be back to visit, I loved my room, very clean. And everyone was so nice.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

All I'm going to say is that this place is not worth your time or money and listen to the other reviews Over priced and dirty. Service is terrible the price per rooms are actually $140-195 did not experience any activity and the ghost tours are pretty lame

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Jewel5679
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed there in December for my birthday weekend in the Katherine Sweeney room. So much to say about this place. The room was clean and comfortable and the free breakfast was pretty tasty. We joined the paranormal night event and it was an amazing experience. As experienced ghost hunters, we were fascinated by the fact that we had free reign of every room in this inn. We used various equipment types such as spirit boxes, EVP recorders and dowsing rods. We spoke with several spirits including Jeremy, a 7 year old boy/ghost who roams the rooms. We even put toys out for Jeremy and they were moved. This place offers a wonderful experience and is one of the most haunted places in Gettysburg. a definite must do if you are an enthusiast of civil war history and/or ghost hunting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael G
Olney, MD
Reviewed December 10, 2012

On the plus side: 1) members of the staff were all very helpful and friendly; 2) The Tavern's food was decent and the drinks were inexpensive; 3) breakfast was delicious and free; 4) the ghost tour was so much fun and cheap; 5) the bathroom in my room was small but very clean; 6) the towels were clean; and 7) this place has a great location. On the minus side, the main part (bathroom excluded) of my room (Custer) had just an incredible musty smell. It really kind of bowled you over when you walked into the room. I think it was coming from the bearskin rug which has seen better days. We kept joking about the bear having gone over the mountain one too many times. Custer's last stand was also talked about. Basically, it could have done with a VERY thorough dusting and airing -- of everything -- twice. That musty smell was even worse in the small gift shop/check-in area. The Jennie Wade room was nicer and did not have the musty smell, although I agree with the reviews that say some of the clutter in the room could go. However, I kind of knew what I was getting after I read the reviews before going, so I will just say that what everyone else has said is pretty spot on -- both the good and the bad.

Room Tip: Between Custer and Jennie Wade, take Jennie.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family