“All the bad reviews are on the money” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Farnsworth House Inn

Farnsworth House Inn
Ranked #16 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Springfield, Pennsylvania, United States
“All the bad reviews are on the money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Without getting into a long story. You just have to read the bad reviews and that sums it all up for the Farnsworth inn. Maybe some people like it but if the inn can't deliver a clean comfortable room, good food and service most of the time, they don't deserve your busness. Sure...you can't please everybody but at least try. it looks like they gave up.
Why take a chance???
It's a shame when a busness losses touch with customer service. This place did.

Room Tip: Go some where else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steve M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Erie, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Farnsworth for a couples weekend with friends. Overall, we occupied almost the entire Inn with the number of rooms needed by our group. My sister-in-law had by itching to stay at this "haunted" inn during our annual fall getaway. We stayed there, ate there (2 breakfasts that were included, a lunch and dinner), did the ghost tour and boy, overall it was not a memorable event. I'm not a paranormal junkie; I do believe but I didn't have expectations for our stay in the Jenny Wade room. Overall, the vibe of the entire place was creepy, but it lacked the basic requirements for a stay at the cost we were charged.

Our room: so, we paid extra for a room with a fireplace. And it didn't work. The room was furnished in what an only be called "Victorian era tacky." The weird monkey soldier painting was so huge and definitely contributed to the creepy vibe--especially since you felt like it was watching you. Equally odd, was the stuffed cat that was curled up, sleeping, on a stack of fake books. The room wasn't overly clean. The bed really could have used a new mattress (the frame was an antique sleigh bed); neither one of us was able to get comfortable. And instead of replacing toilettries that should be replinished daily (soap, shampoo, etc.) we had to make do with the same supply for 2 adults for 2 nights. And I had to hunt down a hair dryer instead of one being automatically in the room.

The food: lunch was unremarkable and overpriced. I actually left hungry. Out of 6 adults, only my husband was happy with his lunch--the fish and chips. Breakfast was included both mornings with our stay and was a decent meal. Dinner for a party of 8 was fair, although pricey considering the offerings we found elsewhere of equal caliber. I guess you pay for the experience of the period costume servers, but I'd had enough by now. Oh, and don't bother stopping by the bar after dinner (it closes nightly at 10 pm); the crew there is less than pleasant and tried to shoo us out before last call. If customer is supposed to be king, this place didn't get the memo.

Another interesting experience: some random, heavily tattooed men knocked on our room door, looking to be let in to measure carpet. The cleaning lady was letting them in, UNSUPERVISED, with all of our belongings in the room, including valuable such as computer, camera equipment, etc. They told us we could leave and they would lock up (cleaning lady and "carpet" guys all said this); are they crazy? We insisted on staying and for our "trouble" the owner gave us a book on the inn. Really??? You can't schedule this at a time other than your peak season, and when the room is occupied. Irritating, but glad we were in our room at the time people were given entry.

Did we have any haunting experiences while there? That's debatable. But we will be haunted with regret for paying what we did for the room, dinner and overall lackluster experience we experienced at Farnsworth.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn! You'll save money, sleep better and enjoy your experience. Stop by fo...
3 Thank megawatt259

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Took my daughter for the paranormal experience and we had a great time.

Our Room:
We weren't shown to our room but in every B&B I've stayed in I've never been shown to my room..it's not hard to find your own room. The McFarlane's decor is all Victorian - dark color, ornate but beautiful at the same time. For those that find the decor "too much" well this isn't the place for you...they are trying to keep in theme with the history/past of the house. Oh and remember the house is haunted.....need to set the stage for that too...can't have bright and modern decor if the house is haunted by civil war era spirits.....Keep that in mind when staying there.

Dinning:
Our first night we were going to eat in the Tavern but they had it closed for a special party so we went into the dinning room and asked about a table, told them we were guests of the Inn and that's all it took..they fit us in (Friday night and packed w/ people). The food was great and they really took good care of us! Both days we ate breakfast at the Inn...wonderful food and service!

Haunted? :
Yep the house is haunted...this is one of those things you need to experience for yourself. If your looking for this just don't try too hard...just listen, watch and try to stay calm. If your not keen on the paranormal..stay somewhere else.

Staff:
What can I say...the staff was always helpfull and willing the go out of their way for us. Thanks Everyone on the Farnsworth for making our stay an experence we will never forget......and yes we will be back!

Room Tip: For the best paranormal experience stay in the house..not in the garden rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank checkers123
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My daughter & I stayed in the McFarlane room & had a wonderful experience. Lots of sounds all night by 5 am had to turn the lights on. We stayed for dinner & breakfast & found the food & staff excellent. Really enjoyed reading the experiences of others in the journal. Hope to stay there again. We did the East Cemetery ghost walk as well it was fantastic. Had taken the Black cat ghost walk the night before & wasn't nearly as good. I'm sorry I didn't get the guides name but she was really great & brought history to life!! Can't wait for our next visit!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 8Wendy
Macedonia, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Custer room was nice. I felt very comfortable in there and would love to have a den decorated the same way. The breakfast was OK, but the waitress was very mean and negative (skinny, dark hair), she was very condescending to the 4 of us when we sat at a table that was not set up for breakfast. Saying "that table is for "fine dining".

We met the owner when checking out and he was a great guy to talk to. The check in lady also said that the Eisenhower room is used by mediums who want a "safe" place to sleep. That could be useful info.

Our (my wife and I) experience in the Custer room consisted of marbles moving (after we put them loose on the fireplace mantle) as I lay in bed, alone (wife went to breakfast, I passed because of the mean lady). Also, each of the two nights, we woke up with the top quilt on the floor next to the window, layered as if it had been slowly draped over itself. My wife said "maybe you pulled it off", fair enough, but I asked her "if that's the case, why is your little pillow (she brought a pillow for her knee) on the floor, but on your side? I also woke up frightened, I think I felt the blanket moving, and had to turn on a light to fall asleep. Didn't feel negative or dangerous, just unfamiliar.

So, we didn't stay in this room for the luxury, the nice breakfast or pleasantries, we stayed here for a paranormal experience. I believe the Farnsworth House delivered. I plan to go back with a video camera this year.

Room Tip: You're obviously staying here because it's supposedly haunted. If you wanted luxury you woul...
1 Thank Eddie B
Harrisburg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We wanted to stay in the Sara Black room for a night because it is supposed to have the most paranormal activity. When we arrived, we were given the keys to the room and told how to get to the room. At other B&B's they at least escort you to the room and show you the amenities. Anyways, we get to the room and it is "OK". The room was like a museum more than a place to be comfortable. The bathroom had a sewer gas smell like an outhouse so there must be some type of plumbing problem. The TV is very small (probably a 15" screen) and the bed is very uncomfortable. The pillows were flat, worn out & needed replaced. My wife & I attemped to go their Sweeney's Tavern for dinner but they were short staffed and the bartender & waitress were obviously stressed out. We knew we were going to be disappointed with the service & food by the greeting we got, so we said we were leaving and they seemed relieved that there were 2 less people to serve. We then went to the Dobbin House and had a great meal & great service. We left early in the morning and headed home, skipping the breakfast, because the bed & pillows were so uncomfortable. The house is very old & creaky, but we saw or heard nothing paranormal. Last year we stayed at the Gettysburg Hotel on the square & were much happier with the room & service. If you want to stay in town, we recommend the Gettysburg Hotel for lodging & the Dobbin House for lunch/dinner (just be prepared to wait for a table at the Dobbin House).

1 Thank bungbrain
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

First of all, when checking in...don't look for a lobby. Check in is handled in the gift shop in the courtyard. Since there were 3 of us, we stayed in the Jennie Wade room which can accommodate a cot. The room is a little shabby but the atmosphere is great. The bathroom and water pressure is even better. If you're extremely sensitive to smoke, you might be affected by the tavern being so close and the smokers right outside the door. It bothered me a little but I have asthma and allergies. As for the review of breakfast prior to mine, I have no idea what they're talking about in saying you pay extra for toast. Not true. We were surprised at the complimentary breakfast since it had never been mentioned when making the reservation. The food is very good whether its breakfast, lunch or dinner. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The only disappointment was the tour "The Mourning Theater" but that was because of the presenter, Allie. She talked more about herself than the history of the hotel. She also made silly jokes trying to be funny, was uninformative and I felt ruined the presentation. They should hire someone more suitable. Our second tour was rained out and it was no problem getting a refund. We will absolutely stay there again. The atmosphere is worth any minor quirks that some of these reviewers seem to be bothered by. Be sure and take time to explore the garden. So many hidden treasures.

Room Tip: Whe we return we will pick another room away from the tavern or in the main house.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family