“Spooktacular fun - Eisenhower Room”

Farnsworth House Inn
Ranked #14 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Maryland
“Spooktacular fun - Eisenhower Room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2008

Got Ghosts? Gettysburg Does!

In celebration of our anniversary and Valentines Day, my husband and I decided on a romantic yet adventurous weekend getaway.

We chose to visit Gettysburg PA, and stay in a historical victorian Bed & Breakfast called The Farnsworth House Inn.

Built in 1810, this civil war home has over one hundred original bullet holes on the side of the house as a reminder of the terrifying times during the civil war.

The Farnsworth House Inn, is decorated and furnished in original Federal period style. Not only is the home charming, it is known to be one of the most haunted Inns in the entire Northeast. The History channel even did a show on it. We were up for the adventure!

Our Inn’s location was perfect walking distance to everything. We stayed in the Eisenhower Room. Named this because , Mrs. Eisenhower stayed in this room. It was a small charming room. Decorated in Pink and Red florals, quite victorian. Note: The bathroom door is just a curtain, yet has a great pot belly shower tub. Make sure you are comfortable with the person you are staying with in this room if you need to use the potty.

NOTE:There is traffic noise that you hear from the window. Also, being located next to the side stairway entrance, you will hear other guests and even the ghost tour groups come in and out and up the noisy wooden stairs. Mostly in the morning and at night during the two tours. At night you will also hear the sounds of the dining room guests and kitchen. Remember this is an old house with wooden floors. Sound just bounces around the house.

No food or drink is permitted in the room. This rule we broke! We had to have some bottled water.

The website said, there were no Televisions, however that must have been recently upgraded because we did have one in the room. The temperature of the room seems to fluctuate. Not sure if it was due to the hauntings. hehe The bed was very comfortable.
We slept quite hard.

From Check in to the overall service, everyone was very friendly. The garden courtyard seemed pretty and must be really nice in the warmer months, however we stayed in the middle of winter.

Sign up for ghost tours at the bookstore located on the property where you check in.

The Tavern at the Inn, is a great convenience for drinks or late night eating. Very cozy with a large glass display of Gettysburg Movie Props. It is the largest collection of movie props for this film anywhere. The servers are friendly and dressed in period style clothing. Great Margaritas!!! Great Black & Tans!!! Great Apple Bread pudding! DIxieland music plays in the background, a small warm fireplace creates the glowing atmosphere and its never crowded. Quite relaxing.

The other guests were friendly, and to our surprise were mostly there to do ghosthunting. If you enjoy antiques go to 17 on the Square. For great cheese ravioli or handmade pasta, go to Mama Venturas Italian restaurant. Also, eat at the Dobbin House, good food and the best pecan pie ever. Would never want to actually stay at the Dobbin House inn, it is too crowded and busy.

Would we stay at the Farnsworth Inn again? Absolutely!
Did we have a ghostly experience? We think so!!!

Our Haunted Experiences -If you are interested READ ON!

It is said, the Inn has in residence over fourteen spirits/ghosts which haunt the home. Paranormal activity is a daily occurrence throughout the entire property and is frequently visited by serious ghost hunters.

Some of the more prominent spirits that haunt the Inn are, Mary the kind protective midwife who took her own life in the home after witnessing the murder of a newborn baby, Jeremy a playful eight year old boy who died after being run over by a horse and carriage, and the angry confederate sharpshooter who lost his life during battle in the home.

With this said, we decide to do our own investigation during our stay in hopes of a paranormal experience. Our first ghosthunt! This is when our adventure begins.

Day 1 Tools of Our Investigation

We decided to purchase tools needed for our first ghost hunt.
Prepared with our EMF detector, a handheld device that has a sensitive measuring needle from 0-5 and a beeping alarm measures any fluctuations of electronic magnetic fields. A normal EMF reading is between 0 and 2. Anything that measures 2-5 is high and the beeping alarm will sound off. Also used, is our digital voice recorder to record any EVPs Electronic Voice Phenomena which are voices that can not be heard by the human ear. Other needed items we brought along with us was a candle, a flashlight, digital camera, video camera. and laptop.

Note:If you wish to purchase some of these items while you are there, you can visit the store next door called the Journey Shop. We bought some dowsing rods there- reasonable prices!

We began the investigation.

Day 1 The Findings

The EMF readings of our room named, The Eisenhower , seemed extremely high beeping continuously in certain areas. Measuring above 5 and off our EMF meters scale. It was important to find an area in the room of which the detector’s needle would read neutral under 2 and the beeping alarm remained quiet. Once we did, we began our investigation with question and answer within the room. To our amazement, the EMF detector seemed to be responding to my husbands questions and demands by moving the meter needle as he requested and the alarm beeping as if responding. The EMF readings went from a quiet 0 to way above 5 and off the scale. There truly is no reason or explanation for this. There seemed to be a cold spot above our heads which soon dissipated. Not a draft.

We photographed many areas of the room, and to our surprise after viewing the photos on our laptop, we captured some small orbs in the room. Orbs are circular spheres of energy of which to scientist today is a mystery.

Later, the room became filled with a smokey aroma. It smelled like a freshly blown out candle. Note, our candle had not yet been lit. We checked the outer hallway of our room to see if the strong scent of smoke was coming from there. This was not the case. It seemed it was only in our room. With the room not having any vents, it was quite puzzling to us. As quickly as the scent came about, it dissipated just as quickly. It was told to us later, this was a common paranormal experience.

Day 2 The Investigation

We learned more about the young boy ghost named Jeremy. They say, he enjoys playing with toys if left in the room for him. With this information, we of course went down to the square in town and bought a bag full of souvenir plastic civil war soldiers and horses. We carefully displayed some toys on the night stand of our bed and photographed the exact placement of them. We turned on our digital voice recorder and left the room for some sightseeing.

Day 2 The Findings

Returning to our room after hours of tourist fun, we photographed the placement of the toys. Viewing and comparing the photos before and after shots, to our amazement two of the toys appeared to have moved and changed position from their original placement. This was shocking! Our EMF detector continued to go off for unknown reasons. The room temperature fluctuated with cold and hot spots.

Day 2 Ghost Tour

Beginning at 8:45pm we went on a Ghost Walk Tour. The tour guide dressed in full confederate uniform led us through our Inn from the attic to the mourning cellar. Learning the tales of the spirits who reside in the Inn was exciting. The tour then led us off into a battle field across the street for some more spooky tales. Using our digital camera we took photos during the entire battle field tour. The tour guide said it is full of spirit orbs which can easily be photographed. So of course, in the black of night we pointed our camera and took several photos of what seemed like nothing but blackness and trees. The tour guide explained the spirit orb to us as this, An orb is a sphere of energy not seen by the human eye. For example, imagine a soldier in battle as he is completely full of high energy, his adrenaline is pumping, heart is racing, his fear is extreme and anger is strong moving full thrust toward the enemy. Immediately shot and killed, shut off like a switch. Where does all that energy go? It creates an orb. Something to ponder...

Day 2 Ghost Tour Findings

Returning to our room after the ghost tour, we immediately uploaded our photos to our laptop to view them. Mind blowing evidence of orbs were in almost all of our pictures. They ranged from small to very large perfect white glowing circular spheres. Not a camera glitch. Some have red rings on the outer edge of the orbs. What was most interesting was, in a photo that we had captured orbs, just ten seconds later taking the same exact picture the orbs are not seen. We have never had such orbs on any of our photos before this ghostly weekend.

At 1:30am in the freezing cold and pitch black of night, we decided to return to the battlefield alone to take more photos. Sure enough the results were the same. Orbs in almost every photo. The most eerie photo we captured was of a thick white mist which seemed to come out from the ground. Was this truly ectoplasm? “spirit mist” This really left us scratching our heads and wanting an explanation. We will probably never get one.
It is truely a mystery.

We have not yet had time to review our EVP investigation and listen to hours and hours recorded on our digital voice recorder. Can't wait to see if we caught something.

Not quite sure what to make of it all regarding our haunted experience, but overall the weekend was fun! We will go back again and Hopefully stay in the Sarah Black room, which is known to be the most active!

Stayed February 2008
9 Thank Mquade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

Stayed in the McFarland room, took the ghost tour, LOVED the friendly and helpful staff. The pictures on theif website do not do this place justice. My traveling partner got out of the car and laughed at the exterior of the inn (she's not used to staying in older buildings and thought it looked, well, old. What I can say - she is more of a Hilton Hotel girl) but that changed the instant she stepped inside. She was charmed.

The room:
The beds in the McFarland room were comfortable, the clawfoot tub was a dream, and the entire atmosphere was a magic victorian.The only complaint I have is that you can hear a small amount of traffic through the window at night but if you've been romping over the battlefield all day, it won't bother you one bit. ;) And yes, we did have a few unexplainable happenings in our room - someone (*cough*Jeremy*cough*) seemed to be active that night. The people spending the night in the Sara Black room got it the worst though, and we had an interesting conversation about the previous night at breakfast the next morning. The breakfast is excellent by the way.

The food:
The dining room was beautiful and the servers were all dressed in period clothing. The food might be a bit pricey for some but I honestly think it is a fair price for the great quality of food! The crab cakes there are to die for as are the spoon bread and apple walnut cake!
We didn't get a chance to get at the tavern but we did visit it, and if I can keep myself away from those crabcakes in the main dining room, we'll eat there on our next visit.

Ghost Tour:
Of course I had to take the Farnsworth Widows tour - I've been hearing about it for years and finally had the chance to do it! Both of our "guides" were dressed as Civil War soldiers, one Confederate and one Union, and they were hilarious and informative. Some of the stories might have been embellished a bit but it was so much fun I could have cared less. It was a bit weird when we first went down to the cellar and the place was so cluttered, complete with casket and fake body in the middle of the room, but that was quickly forgotten as the guides told their stories. After that they even took us a few blocks down to where the Louisiana Tigers fought and let us try out the divining rods. I've heard that one guides stay "in character" as a Civil War soldier the entire time and then asks for money "for his sick child back home" when the tour ends and he wants tops. Not the guys I was with!! They juat said that tips are appreciated but certainly not mandatory and to have a great night (we, of course, gave them a great tip because they were awesome)! After the others on the tour left, we stayed and talked with the guides one-on-one (very kind of them to stay and talk to us!) and they were very understanding when I told them I am sensitive and am a reincarnated Confederate soldier (they were very kind when I got emotional and started to cry). They even invited me to sit in the haunted cellar and meditate by myself if I wanted to - I didn't get a chance to do so this trip but want to in the future. In short, the guides were amazing. They were patient with the tour guests who didn't believe in the supernatural and extremely funny. Besides spending hours at the battlefield, that tour was the highlight of my trip.

I give the Farnsworth House an A++ and will definitely be staying there again.

• Liked — The historical building and rooms and the Ghost Tour
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank dernhelm1984
Dixon, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2008

This Inn was the worst place I ever stayed at. Went for reenactment in July with 100 + weather and found very small room with broken air conditioner. My closet at home was bigger than the room. No door to bathroom. No TV or radio. Paid a fortune because was suppose to have ghosts, none seen and their basement ghost story was a joke. Food there was terrible. Bar was nice so you could drink to forget you were staying there. Very rude at check-in.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staying there
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank animalcapture
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2007

The stay was same as usual, but to our delight, the dinner in the dining room was awesome as was the waitress. I did notice that the ladies in the book store were really nice & we learned that the nasty ones were let go! Hooray!

• Liked — Historic significance
  • Disliked — lack of communication
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank cuddlebelle
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2007

We have stayed at the Farnsworth two times. If you are considering staying here you should know a few things. The rooms are incredibly small and dark. The bathrooms are questionable. They are good sized but don't expect privacy or in some cases, even a door. The Lincoln room's bathroom had no door, just a screen that you pull across the very wide opening. However, the screen is not very tall, the bed is, and the walls of the bath are mirrored. So If you are lying in bed and someone is in the bathroom, you might get a full view. If you want to eat at the tavern prepare to over pay by a lot. The good thing about the Farnsworth is its great location. As for ghosts...umm..none that we saw.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The bathrooms may have no doors, depending on the room
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PineNuts
palm Desert
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

We booked our stay not knowing the haunted history until we received our confirmation packet in the mail with some rules for the house, one of which was "Do not bring a Quiji board." I was so surprised that I began to do more research. In the meantime, we saw a History Channel show which rated it as one of the most haunted inns in the country. We stayed anyway. Our room was sort of small but very cute. It was decorated with antiques and the bed was comfy. The bathroom only had a curtain that separated the bedroom from bathroom. Even after 25 years I would still rather poop in private...so, I came up to the room after breakfast...alone and took care of business. My husband did the same while I had a coffee downstairs. That was the only downside to my way of thinking. The haunted tour was kind of fun. We even went over to the "haunted feild" that is over by the high school. Supposedly a REALLY haunted place. I walked all the way into the trees and didn't see any ghosts. Our tour guide brought devining rods and seems to relish the speaking in cajan to some ghost energy with great flourish. It was kitchy....I secretly loved it. But I was too cool to let on. Lots of crazy stories and many people seemed to be kind of worked up before they even got there. Some "ghost hunter" types, there already armed with ghost encounters from their pasts. When I got to my room, I told the ghosts..."okay you spooks, We are only here one night. We don't intend to move in on your turf, so let us have a good night sleep please and we promise to leave it just the way we found it" My husband and I both laughed at the absurdity. It must have worked because we both slept like the dead...whoops, bad choice of words. We did have a great restful night and felt wonderful in the morning. In fact it was the best night sleep we had during our entire 3 week vacation. At breakfast, which was really nice, we asked the other guests if they had some "run ins" with any ghosts. They all were very disappointed to report they did not have any ghost encounters. One couple even brought toys for the small ghost boy who haunts the house. He never came out to play. My husband blames me...for calling off the ghosts. I like to think that the ghosts had a welcomed, well deserved, quiet night too...thanks to me for the permission to take a night off. We found the bookstore ladies who checked us in to be sweet. They were normal, balanced ladies. One even gave my husband and me a gift certificate for a free coffee down the street. They were perfectly nice. Not rude at all. I think they get a little tired of all the excited ghostaphiles. Anyway, I would stay there again, given the opportunity. I could use another great nights sleep!

• Liked — fun history
  • Disliked — no bathroom door
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sleepladypalmdesert
Stamford, CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

Great atmosphere! We were looking for a place with the Civil War atmosphere, and this is it! However, the waiter was new and made many mistakes. Food was just ok, nothing spectacular. And, we both got food poisioning that night. :(

Stayed October 2007