“Small Rooms -- Stuffy!!!”

Farnsworth House Inn
Ranked #13 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Small Rooms -- Stuffy!!!”
Reviewed July 24, 2003

Stayed at the Farnsworth Inn the first weekend of June 2003. I was disappointed. We had one of the most expensive rooms -- and there were no heat or air controls. The room was just stuffy-- smothering . . . For ventilation, we had to open a little window that opened onto a busy courtyard area affording us no privacy. The staff was nice. The food was good -- but, for the price, it was disappointing. I would not go back.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
ghosthntr
Reviewed July 19, 2003

The Farnsworth House Mourning Theatre and walks are first class. The
authentic dressed guides and professional actors portray a variety of
ghost stories and images of what happened in the town of Gettysburg in
July of 1863. We were very moved by the experience as we ate in the
restaurant with authentic dishes such as GAME PIE, PEANUT SOUP, and
JENNY WADE BREAD. We then took both the walking tour and experinced the
Mourning Theatre that is set up like a Victorian Viewing Parlor. I say
EXPERIENCED because it was such a MOVING, EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE as the
guides and actors literrally moved me into the time of the battle, with
emotion and talent that will have me talking about this experience for
the rest of my life. The actor in the theatre even sang authentic civil
war songs! You may wish to remove any neagative reviews about this
establisment from your site. They are obviuosly from the same
person...probably the competition down the street!

6 Thank ghosthntr
Reviewed July 3, 2003

I had heard so much about this "theater" that you could go to at the Inn. I had taken some friends with me to check out the supernatural thing as merely an entertainment factor. Wow - was it entertaining!!
(Meaning a JOKE) - they take you into this basement, sardine you in there with poor ventalation and the stench of backed up sewer, and this is to be enjoyable? The "story" tellers are more like gothic teenager looking people who get a bit carried away in the overkill of making you think there is some sort of presence in the room. The only presence I noticed was the aroma of sewage, and the very slow passing of the clock through the agonizing presentation. It was extremely hokey and seemed poorly organized. The task of obtaining tickets was more entertaining, we were oohed and ahhhed while getting lured in to by tickets. Overall, I found the presenters to be pushy and not helpful at all. I guess it was just the $$$ that they were interested in, not the follow through of a decent presentation. Save yourself some money and just buy a ghost book and sit it a jiffy john that has been baking in the sun. Same experience but a lot cheaper.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Solvay, NY
Reviewed July 1, 2003

On June 28th my husband and I had dinner reservations at the Farnsworth House for 7:00 pm.We arrived at 6:55.Our hostess muttered a profanity when we told her our last name as she crossed us off her list. I should have taken this as an omen.We were finally seated at 7:10. At 7:25 a waitress came up to us and apologised for the long wait. She said that there was trouble in the kitchen and someone would take our order shortly. Ten minutes later someone finally did take our order. My husband almost walked out. Things went better from here. The food came fast after the order was taken. The salmon was good, the shrimp alfredo fantastic. However, we highly doubt that we will eat here again. We also had reservations for the ghost stories downstairs. The storyteller was like a 45 rpm record being played on speed 78. What we could understand was interesting. She was sorry that she had to cut the stories short because she had to do a ghost walk. At the Farnsworth House, $$$$$$$ is first, service is second.

11 Thank Sawduste
Reviewed June 22, 2003

Went on Farnsworth House Inn Ghost Walk, had been there about a year ago and enjoyed it very much, this time it was horrible! Guide smoked smelly cigar while telling stories that weren't very good anyway. Emailed to suggest guide not smoke on tour (and of all things a cigar!) and they didn't even bother to respond. Guess they want your money more than your repeat business. Heard they are a different company now anyway. Former company is somewhere just up the street and now called Sleepy Hollow, we'll go there next time and get satisfaction like before and much better stories, not cigar smoke! And the Farnsworth even raised their prices! What a joke.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member