“Rude staff, would try another company next time”
Review of Artillery Ridge Horseback Tour - CLOSED

Artillery Ridge Horseback Tour
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The one good thing I can say is that the horses seem well taken care of, just bored to death with the tour trail..and so were we. We took the same trail out and back, so saw a minimal amount of the battlefield. The staff and handlers seemed annoyed that they had to go on the tour, or talk to anyone in general. They were very condescending, and couldn't hide the fact that they did not want to be there (the weather was cold and damp).

Also keep in mind that you are really distracted from the tour by your own horse and the horses around you...so if you are in it for the history, try something else.

1  Thank firenze0105

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I will tell you right at the very beginning that, you do not need any horseback riding experience to enjoy this fantastic guided tour of the Gettysburg Battlefield. We took the tour with our eight year old Grandson who had never ridden or even sat on a horse in his young life. The wranglers at Artillery Ridge will ensure that you get on a horse that has the personality to fit your experience. Before leaving on this tour you get a full briefing and then watch a DVD which clearly explains how to mount and dismount as well as how to control your horse, which by the way, required very little controlling on anyone's part. The Wranglers were very experienced and, from the very beginning told us that they would be responsible for our Grandson so that we could enjoy the tour. Each rider has a small radio that recieves the voice of the guide as he speaks from atop his horse. Our tour guide Jim was of course licensed to guide tours and his continual narrative put you right in the battle as it went along. This is the only tour that lets you get right onto the battlefield as you cannot walk across the sacred ground of the actual battlefield. The horses take a path that has been designated by the Park Service but lets you see everything you need to imagine the battle in your mind.

We took the two hour tour which was not as long as two hours might seem. At one point, my Grandson asked what time it was and, when I told him he was surprised that the time had just flown by. The cost of the tour was $77 but believe me, it was worth every penny of it. I am not sure how the cost compares to the bus and auto tours but for me, there is no other way to see the Battlefield and get the full experience. The tours go rain or shine so, if it is raining you will need to provide protection for yourself. Also, I recommend reservations most of the time because Gettysburg gets very crowded during peak times. With the 150th Anniversary next year, it will be more crowded than usual. Maybe during the week in the fall or spring you could get away with not having reservations but don't blame it on the Staff if a tour is sold out. Children need to be 8 years of age to take the ride. Thanks so much to the Staff at Artillery Ridge for an Outstanding Experience.

By the way; If you do not get a tear in your eye and feel a tremendous amount of pride that you are a citizen of this Great Country when Jim reads the letter from the battlefield and talks about the people who made this Country great you might not want to go for a ride with him because he has a great love for the USA and does not try to hide it. The ride is a truly Patriotic Experience.

2  Thank RickZ255
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Touring the battlefield on horseback is the best way to see the battlefield and understand what happened here. The staff members handling the horses were outstanding. Even me, a non-horse person, had no problem whatsoever. The battlefield guide on the 2 hour tour was equally outstanding and knowledgable. Highly recommended!!!!!'mm

2  Thank BRET T
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We visit this campground regularly throughout the summer and for Halloween. We've visited other campgrounds in Gettysburg and they are nice, but we always come back to Artillery Ridge. Nice, simple campground and is so close to the battlefield and to town. The people who work there are very nice and the camp sites are decent. Although we don't really use the restrooms, I've been in them once or twice and they are clean. We love their Halloween events they have every year. This past Halloween didn't go as nice due to the large amount of snow we received while there, but the campground still had a few of the events. I would love to do the horse trail riding one of these days. Looks like a lot of fun!

1  Thank Patty0103
Reviewed November 7, 2011

(I went with my husband which is not a choice of 'who did you go with?')This was the absolute highlight of our 9 day vacation in Pennsylvania, and I love everything about Pennsylvania, so this is saying a lot! It was grey, cool and drizzly the day we went (make reservations well in advance!) so there were only 3 of us with two guides. This is a wonderful, peaceful, slow way to see and hear about the Battle. We were given small mp3 players to hear the historical narrative of the places we rode through, and the educational value of this ride was worth the cost alone. I wish we had done a 4 hour tour! Our guides were just super, especially the one who rode right behind me who filled in a lot more information for me as the narrative was on standby. The company is very well organized and as an experienced rider, I found the safety review excellent for the less experienced riders with us. Hint: watch the DVD 'Horses of Gettysburg' before or after you go on this riding tour. Also they have a really great gift shop.

2  Thank Garfypj