“Exceptional value and cleanliness; very hospitable and friendly staff”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed August 16, 2009

This motel is family-owned and it is quite evident by the overall cleanliness of the rooms, as well as the friendliness of the staff, that the owners take pride in their establishment and value their guests. The manager at the front desk made me feel most welcome. His friendly, engaging, and hospitable demeanor made all the difference in our visit and certainly enhanced the experience. The rooms are immaculate and spacious while the beds and pillows are comfortable. The hot shower is incredibly inviting. The water pressure is so forceful that it will just about knock your socks off! For an economy motel the shower head jets are simply amazing. A microwave, mini fridge, iron, hair dryer, and free Wi-Fi are provided as conveniences. A coffee pot is available, however, in my opinion, the coffee brand itself leaves much to be desired. On the whole, I was completely satisfied. Econo Lodge over the years has garnered a negative reputation for poor quality and substandard accommodations, but this motel is definitely an exception. I will without hesitation or reservation recommend this motel to friends and family and will return myself upon my next visit to Gettysburg.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank NineMileCreek

Reviewed August 15, 2009

Stayed here overnight during a visit to the battlefield. Just had a small problem checking in...the clerk was having some problems with the computer. Otherwise, the place was fine. Breakfast in the morning is donuts and coffee.

I noticed that they were deep-cleaning all rooms/carpets as I was leaving. I asked the front desk about this and he said that they do this often. Great!

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank elginadam
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We stayed for two nights as we visited the town and battlefield. The room was very clean, cheerful and bigger than I had expected considering the very reasonable price. The check in was easy, and the staff could not have been nicer. We would stay here again, and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I booked this room based on the past reviews. I was so pleased! My non smoking room smelled clean. The room was spacious and very clean. Hotel Service kept the room very clean throughout my stay.
This motel is in a great location and a terrific value. I used my AAA's Card for an additional discount. I believe I paid $62 a night for the room. There is a good amount of shopping nearby and I had no trouble finding places to eat.
The motel advertised free wifi, so I brought my laptop. The wifi worked without any problem. The motel offers a small breakfast of coffee, muffins and fruit in the office lobby. I was also pleased that they offered a free USA Today Newspaper.
I do need to also mention that the refrigerator needed adjustment but I didn't bother asking for help. I would definitely return to this motel!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank banjowalking
Reviewed August 28, 2008

I needed to stay in Gettysburg for a week where I would be in the room most of the time. Econolodge was inexpensive and clean. Everyday I saw the maids putting clean bedspreads into rooms, not something I see at many hotels. The owners were pleasant and supplied as much coffee as I wanted for the coffee pot. The frig was big enough to hold a couple of 2 liters and snacks. And there was a microwave. There was a table and two chairs which made it a pleasant place to work. Plus they had free Internet. I stayed in a non-smoking room upstairs. Swimming was not on my agenda so I didn't miss a pool. There were several fast food places and a couple of chain restaurants within a mile.
I have stayed in hotels from one to five stars and while this one lacks the plush towels and big beds, it's a good option for an economic stay in Gettysburg.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This motel is now the Econolodge but don't let the name fool you. We found it to be very clean & spacious. Quiet location and would highly recomennd it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank liamsgg
Reviewed July 18, 2008

On July 8th my 17 year old daughter and my mother checked in to the Econolodge Motel in Gettysburg ([--]). The next morning they checked out and continued their travel. Shortly after leaving my daughter realized she left her digital camera on the bed. She immediately called the motel and told them she had left the camera on the bed. They told her it was not found. She called back several times Tuesday and Wednesday and each time was told by both the manager and other employees that the camera was not found. On Thursday, July 10th they checked back into the same hotel on the return trip home. My daughter asked about the camera again. She saw it in a draw at the front desk. The manager said she did not know anything about the camera. My daughter insisted that this was her camera and insisted they return it to her. When she got it back it was missing the memory card. The manager said she had no knowledge of the missing card.

Friday morning July 11th I called the hotel and spoke with the manager. She said that they gave her the camera last night. When I questioned her about not notifying my daughter that it had been found she said they had to move the bed and found it behind the headboard. As it was left on the foot of the bed I doubted the truth of her explanation. She had no explanation of why they did not phone my daughter when they found it. When I questioned whether it would have been returned if they had not come back to this hotel and seen it first hand. She had no explanation of how the memory card was missing other than it must have fallen out. When I explained that to remove it, one would need to press a button and then press another button inside the opened door to release the card. That it would have to be done deliberately she had no explanation. I notified her that if this was not resolved I would post a review with this story on hotel website. She told me she did not care. I told her that since her employees were the only one with access to this camera that it was clearly taken by an employee and she and the other people my daughter had spoken with by phone had lied to her. She had no explanation.

After hanging up with me she called my elderly mother in her room and asked her to come to the office. The manager was unhappy that someone had called and complained that the caller was angry. Although I can agree I was unhappy with the situation, the conversation had been respectful. The manager offered no resolution to my mother. She insisted that the camera was found only when they pulled the bed from the wall. She could not explain why they did not call the cell phone or my mother’s home number, which was left with the front desk. My mother stated that she was concerned with who would have possession of a 17-year-old girls photos and what they would do with them. The manager was clear that she did not want negative postings but offered no resolution.

At check out my mother paid the full bill. The manager was present with a young man. He questioned why anyone would take the memory card. My mother also had this same concern. She also reiterated that she believed this camera would not have been returned if they had not stopped back and seen it in the office. They did not offer any accommodations to resolve this situation.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family