“Inexperienced tour guide”

Sleepy Hollow Ghost Tours
Ranked #17 of 29 Tours in Gettysburg
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were sold on the Sleepy Hollow tour when we heard they do not engage in "parlor tricks" like some of the other tours in town. Also, we were told we would go to a Civil War "camp" to hear stories. Plus, one of the salespeople said she was a 6th generation Gettysburg-ian. Unfortunately she was not the tour guide. Instead, we had an 18-year-old who was nice but inexperienced. She frequently broke character and tripped over words while speaking. We tried to forgive this, but the tour itself was kind of disappointing. The guide led us to someone's backyard which was set up like a "camp" with tents, props and seating. We could hear neighbors taking out the trash, talking on cell phones, and traffic noise during the stories. Of course they can't control those aspects, but it did detract from the experience. The ghost stories were the same ones that are widely published and told in books. That's ok, but the guide needs to work on her storytelling skills.

Sleepyhollow1997, Owner at Sleepy Hollow Ghost Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

We do thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. The Encampment tour is new this year and was sold as a "recreation" of a Civil War Camp. We feel that it is an excellent example of a camp used by the soldiers during the war, displaying three tents, furnished as they would have been, an original wagon from the 1800's, a "hog pen", and campfire area.

We do apologize for our displeasure with your guide that evening. It goes without saying that storytellers are not born, it is an art that takes time and a craft that is only perfected by "doing". The young lady that you spoke of has grown in her storytelling quite well and we have many who enjoy her very much.

We do hope that you will try us again and look forward to your visit.

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful weekend in Gettysburg and had the pleasure of taking this tour Saturday night. My husband and I have taken many ghost tours on different trips to this town and after many disappointments we tried this tour. There is no comparison! Our tour guide was Ken and his story telling abilities are phenomenal! He was unbiased and presented facts, not opinions or stories from someone who knew someone who knew someone's friends cousin. The stories were thought provoking and had a very human element to them. No cheesy campfire or parlor tricks here. Ken was captivating and held the attention of the entire group for the whole two hours. I would have gladly listened for two more hours! When he concluded the tour he recommended a good place for ice cream and to show those who didn't know the way back. There was no awkward begging for tips or rattling a tin can (oh yes, some companies do). Ken was very professional and, I know, an asset to this company. Thank you Sleepy Hollow Tours and Ken for such a wonderful experience.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at Springhouse Tavern (Dobbin House) then met out front of Dobbin House for our "Towne Tour" with Jennifer, our guide. As it was early in the season, we actually had a private tour! What a nice surprise! We are told that very rarely happens, which I believe! Jennifer was great, and gave us some spooky stories as we walked a few blocks around town. I don't think I believe in ghosts, but it was actually spookier than I thought it would be....mostly because it's REAL history, not just a ghost story. And sometimes real history and bloodshed is scarier than any story. I loved our guide, primarily because she was young (mid 20s) but so intelligent about not only Gettysburg, but also because she had a true passion for the Civil War. I won't say I was "scared" at any point, but just knowing you're walking over unmarked graves during the tour is spooky enough for me.
Bottom line.... it was fun, historical, informative, and for $8/person.....c'mon, just have the experience! As they say, "when in Rome......" !

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our tour guide was Harry, and not only was he informative, and explained the tools and techniques, he was entertaining and shared a lot of his personal knowledge and experiences. The tour we were on started about 10 O'clock PM and didn't finish up until after midnight. If you are a "believer" you would have been fascinated to speak with the spirits. It was a good adventure and we'll very likely do this again.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Cindy codori's sleepy hollow ghost tours set us up with our guide Ken who was awesome! I was working on an art project collecting stories and he was great to work with. He loves gettysburg and is a huge history buff with tons of knowledge.Wwe all had a great experience and Ken was the best!

1  Thank linkmcd