“Great Ghost Stories”

Ghosts of Gettysburg
Ranked #15 of 28 Tours in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The “Ghosts of Gettysburg Tours” are best described as a combination of history and mystery. The battle that took place in Gettysburg was horrific. We do our best to treat the men who gave their lives with the respect they deserve. We use ghost stories, as relayed to Mr. Nesbitt by those who have experienced them, to explore what happened here. Anyone can make up a scary ghost story, but somehow, knowing that people experienced the ghostly happenings that our guides describe, has to make one wonder if an encounter is in your own future! Our tours include as much of the town as can be walked comfortably. The buildings in Gettysburg are all privately owned, but from what we've been told, just as many ghosts are wandering the streets as are hanging out within four walls! If you're looking for a "halloween haunted house" kind of experience, this is not the tour for you!
Reviewed October 16, 2012

If you actually look at the Ghosts of Gettysburg website, you will know that this isn't a ghost hunting tour. This is a walking tour where you listen to stories about ghost sightings in Gettysburg, along with some interesting historical tid bits. To me, it is quite obvious this is what this company offers, and those people who have complained it was just walking and stories obviously didn't do any research before handing over their money. If you want to hunt ghosts in Gettysburg, there are companies that do that, just not this one.

My husband and I really loved our tour. A lot of people signed up for the tour, so the company split the tour between two tour guides, so we only had about twelve people in our tour. We did the 9:45pm Baltimore Street tour and our guide was Ray. Ray was awesome. You could tell he's just really into history. He was a great story teller, with a strong voice and good inflection. He told us some stories about personal experiences he's had around Gettysburg, and also older stories. We'd walk to the buildings or area of town he was discussing, and there were often benches or concrete walls to sit on, which was nice.

Because you are in town, it's not truly dark and really not very spooky. Sadly, the battlefield is closed at night, so tours aren't allowed to take visitors out there. Nevertheless, it was a good time. The tour was about an hour and fifteen minutes long, and there was a good mix of ghost stories and historical stories. We especially liked the story about why there is a canon embedded in the middle of the sidewalk along Baltimore street, and probably never would have noticed said canon unless we had taken this tour. Ray ended the tour with a pretty creepy story about people seeing ghost soldiers in their cars when they park along High street. Nice touch since we were all going back to our cars.

My husband has done tours with this company before, and he was happy because the stories he heard this time were different than the stories he heard last time. So no, you probably aren't going to run into any ghosts, but you will hear some really good stories and maybe even learn some history. We'd do a tour with this company again next time we're in Gettysburg. Tours are only 9.50 a person, which we considered a fairly good value.

5  Thank Celeste S
"paranormal activity"
in 5 reviews
"personal stories"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 4 reviews
"lots of history"
"civil war history"

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went Friday night and the weather was good. I am not a believer so I wasn't surprised we didn't see any ghosts. Our guide was Steve and he had a lot of good stories and he did a great job delivering them. We had a good time.

1  Thank rxdadof2
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We have been to Ghosts of Gettysburg several time. I enjoy it very much. The tour guides are very nice and friendly. The guides had nice stories about history and ghosts.

1  Thank nnb916
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We just walked around downtown and heard some supposed "ghost"stories and historical facts. Not worth the money.

1  Thank Rich P
See more reviews
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Without naming names, my friend and I went on another "well-reputed" ghost tour last night. It was enjoyable, but nothing to write home about. Well, tonight, we went on a Ghosts of Gettysburg tour with Annie, and I will never forget our experience. Not only did Annie tell some chilling stories, but she also taught me some things about little known Gettysburg places, which definitely intrigued me, given that I've been visiting Gettysburg all of my life. I also really enjoyed the fact that as a spectator, you could tell that Annie really loves telling stories. She got into the stories and was dramatic, but not in a way that made it seem hokey or over-the-top. If you're looking for a ghost hunt, this might not be the tour for you, but I thought it was neat that Annie gave us ideas about different places and landmarks to check out once the tour ended. Annie definitely knows her stuff. Nowadays, it is becoming more and more difficult to find an authentic experience minus all of the flamboyant commercialism, but I'll tell you this--Ghosts of Gettysburg tours are the most authentic that you will find in this town. Annie was even gracious enough to talk for a while after the tour with my friend and I regarding a strange recording we took at the Jennie Wade House earlier in the day. If you're in town and you're interested in finding an authentic ghost tour, definitely check out Mark Nesbitt's Ghost of Gettysburg tours! (And ask for Annie!)

2  Thank Jess M