“Part of our history”

Eisenhower National Historic Site
Ranked #9 of 108 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: President Eisenhower used this farm as a retreat from the White House, then retired here.
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Another must to see if you go to Gettysburg. Better for couples.
Small children will not find this as interesting as adults.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"nice tour"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Plastic figurines from a cereal box on display. Very average structure and furnishings. Nothing historic happened here really. Beautiful vista. Nice retirement home but stairs to bedrooms. Boring.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We visited here during our visit to Gettysburg. This was one of my favorite things we did.

I bought tickets at the Visitor's Center and Museum, which is a few miles away. When you buy your tickets, you can pick what time you want. The time you get is for boarding the bus to the house, not for the actual house tour. I was confused about that, and we tried getting on an earlier bus, worried we'd be late for our 12:00 tour. The bus driver wouldn't let us board the earlier bus; we had to wait until the 12:00 bus. You board the bus at the bus shelter near the Visitor's Center.

The bus ride takes about ten minutes, and goes by a bit of the battlefield. Once we exited the bus, a ranger greeted us and gave us a short tour of the grounds on the way to the house.

Most of the house is self-guided. A guide talked to the whole group for a while in the parlor. I thought he was a bit long-winded. After he finished, everyone can go at their own pace to tour the home. A ranger will hand out brochures that give details of the house.

I would recommend being at the back of the group if you want to take pictures and take your time. The house really isn't that big, and hallways are narrow. I felt like I had to rush a bit since there were people right behind us. The house has been kept the same as when the Eisenhower's lived there. It's a pretty house, but not fancy by any means. I imagine visitors are sometime disappointed on how casual the house is.

After touring the house, we wandered around outside. We walked up to the cattle barns, and saw the yard, which has pretty flowers and trees. We also went in the small visitor's center/gift shop.

Visitors stay as long as they want, and then catch a bus back to the Visitor's Center/Museum.

1  Thank kren250
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Bus from the Visitors Center easily accessible with knowledgeable driver. You can easily spend a couple of hours touring the well preserved house and grounds. The Park service guides are informative about Ike and Mamies life on the farm. Beautiful inside and out.

1  Thank Gay J
See more reviews
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We timed our visit to Eisenhower to coincide with the Park Ranger program on WWII and it was very well worth it. The house tour itself is not that interesting. Sure, you get to see Ike and Mamie's retirement home, but it is mostly self-guided and they allow such large groups that you tend to get lost in the herd. BUT, I highly recommend the Park Ranger talk about WWII. The speaker was highly knowledgeable, funny, and charming. Very interesting. Made me want to read more about WWII.