“Gorgeous setting with delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Highlawn Pavilion

Highlawn Pavilion
Reserve with OpenTable
Highlawn Pavilion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in West Orange
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prospect Avenue
Maplewood,
“Gorgeous setting with delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We enjoyed a delicious dinner in a beautiful setting with good service. We had a 7 p.m. reservation and were seated promptly in the bar which was our request. The waiter was anxious to take our order and we ordered drinks and informed him that we were not in a hurry and he did let us relax after that. The salmon was excellent as were the pork chop and chicken dishes. It is expensive, but they do have a Bar Menu which appeared to be less expensive. This menu was not offered to us at a table in the bar so I'm assuming you have to actually sit at the bar to get this menu. There is Patio dining outdoors and they do not take reservations for seating on the Patio. Highlawn Pavilion is definitely a special restaurant and the main dining room has gorgeous views of NYC. For a special evening, it is highly recommended.

New Jersey
“Best Food but They Have A Secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

This very upscale, elegant restaurant has some of the best food in New Jersey, and this is not an exaggeration. The dining room also has an amazing view and excellent service. However, their secret is their bar. Situated on one of the highest elevations in NJ, they also have an outdoor patio bar with some of the best views of NYC. Nothing compares with it. And their drinks aren't bad either. If you can get over the ostentatious lobby, turn right into the bar and head toward the windows... Yes, this place requires you dress up a bit, but it's well worth it!

West Orange, New Jersey
“Never got seated for reservation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I had 9:00 pm reservations for dinner on Saturday, 6/15/13. We arrived around 8:00 pm and told the host that we were there, and would be at the bar until our table was ready. At 9:00, we went to the host to let him know we were ready to be seated. He told us there was one couple ahead of us and that it would be another 5 minutes so to wait at the bar and he'd come get us when our table was ready. At 9:15 my husband noticed another couple get seated, so he again reminded the host that we had a 9:00 reservation and was told it would be 5 more minutes. My husband pointed out to the host where we were at the bar so he could easily locate us when our table was ready. At 9:30 my husband again reminded the host that we were waiting to be seated for our 9:00 reservation and was told that our table was just vacated and the staff was going to change the linens, reset the table and we'd be seated in 30 seconds. At 9:45 we noticed another couple give the host money and get seated at the table that the host had said was ours. My husband asked the host why he gave our table to another couple and was told that the host couldn't find us, which was a blatant lie because in addition to pointing out specifically where we were waiting at the bar, we also watched the host seat another couple at the table that was supposed to be for us without even a glance our way. This is when we decided to leave.

Additionally, the bathrooms were in terrible condition and looked like they hadn’t been cleaned. My husband also noticed waiters using the patron’s bathroom fully dressed with their aprons on, which is off-putting at the least. On top of that, we immediately noticed when we sat at the bar that the beer bottles on display looked like they had been sitting there in ice for months as they looked dirty, slimy, and most of the labels were so deteriorated that they were unrecognizable. The bar tenders were not friendly, and one woman actually looked obviously annoyed at having to serve customers. All in all, this was a terrible first experience (the TVs weren’t even on HD) at a restaurant which we thought was held in high regard, and we will not return. The only good thing going for the place was the view, which coincidentally or not, is the one thing they do not control.

2 Thank jclay0920
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Perfect Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

The view is awesome
The food and presentation was excellent
The service was great, wait staff very professional
Can't wait to go back

Sparta, N.J.
“Not as good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I have dined at the Highlawn many many times over the past 20 years. It has always been fantastic. But this last visit was just not that great. We arrived at 5:30 and had a reservation in the bar, but since it was such a lovely day we chose to eat outside. After waiting for a server for over 5 minutes, we went back inside to eat in the bar. And I must say I couldn't understand the slowness of service because there were only 2 other tables occupied. The waiter in the bar dining room inquired as to why we came back inside, and so I told him that no one had come to our table, and since we had a show to get to, time was short. So instead of simply apologizing he told us that there in fact was a waiter for outside. I thought this was an odd response. But, my husband and I were looking forward to a pleasant meal, so we just let this comment pass. After that brief unpleasant encounter, the waiter proceeded to be very good at taking our orders. We shared a lobster appetizer which was very different and flavorful. For the main course we both had the free range chicken dish. The chicken was outstanding, but I thought the side, which was lentils with vegetables to be disappointing. We shared the trio of sorbet over fruit, coffee and cappuccino and all were outstanding. By this time, it had gotten a little bit busier, and our once attentive waiter made us wait at least 10-15 minutes for the check, which was annoying since we did inform him we were a little tight on time. In fact, I eventually left the table to retrieve our car. Even my husband waiting alone at the table didn't grab our waiter's attention. Since we have always had such outstanding service, this experience will not prevent us from coming back, but it was surprising, so that is why I took the time to write this review.