“Excellent Food and Very Good Service - a "Cut" above”
Review of Cut

Cut
Ranked #58 of 100 Restaurants in West Orange
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We started visiting Cut because of the deals we found on Groupon and now frequent about once a month because the food, which started out very good, is now outstanding. The steaks are as good as you would get in the big NY steakhouses. Typically we share a salad, order a steak (the tomahawk is the best option) and a seafood main and share. More often than not the chef Sam Mickail will venture out to see how our meal was. Once we had a minor problem with a Groupon (our mistake) and the owner happened to be there having dinner with his family. He took time away from dinner to take care of it for us. When thanking him we found out that our children go to the same school. It is clear that everyone at Cut cares for their customers. We try to go during the week to avoid the more crowded weekends. Cut is on the second floor of a nightclub and it is an interesting trip through the nightclub to get to the restaurant. It is certainly worth a visit.

1  Thank Brianccc

Reviewed April 23, 2014

It was a special event from the very beginning....we were confused as to how to enter the restaurant. You have to park in the rear and be escorted upstairs. The room was small, dark and very noisy from an event that was being held downstairs. The deep bass penetrated the floor and my chair on each beat. The service was good but the meal over rated.

1  Thank OURGANGGROUP
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I clearly should have read previous reviews before buying a Groupon here. However, I just had gone to the website, liked what I saw on the menu, and purchased a $100 Groupon for $50. I wanted a special night out with my boyfriend and thought it would be a good place.

You can read the other reviews about the weirdness of the setup, the smallness of the room, how you have to go upstairs to get to the restaurant, and the confusion of the valet parking. That’s all true. Our experience was even worse because there was NO ONE at the entrance or in the night club part when we got there. We walked around for several minutes and no one was there at all. We finally went back outside, confused, and asked the valet for help. He also had no idea what was going on and had to buzz in to finally get someone down. In the time that we waited, another man had also come and was so fed up that he left. We were apprehensive to say the least.

The service was very good. We were immediately attended to, given water and bread, asked if we wanted more bread, refilled on our water a bunch of times without asking, and ordered everything at the appropriate time. We did not spend any long amount of time waiting. However, once our food was out, no one ever asked how everything was until we were essentially done with everything. I thought that was strange, considering how attentive they were before and how many different people served us.

The restaurant has a quiet, fancy feel with old-fashioned music and a somewhat dark, small room. The tables are close together and small. The restaurant got busier as the night went on but was never even a third full. There is a bar area with a TV over it and a very beautiful chandelier. We just felt weird there though. Something about the atmosphere, I guess from being inside a nightclub, is very strange.

Now, the food was the biggest disappointment of all, even if you don't take into account the HUGE prices. We were OK with the price because of the Groupon and the fact we knew it was a splurge dinner. For those prices, though, we expected perfection in all aspects of the meal. The perfect parts: the complimentary bread and steak/bacon taster. Those were delicious. All types of bread, served with butter and oil, refilled, all great. The shrimp scampi appetizer had the biggest shrimp we'd ever seen and was tasty. My meal, the mushroom ravioli, was very good and even bigger than I expected from knowing fancy restaurants give small portions. The bad: the steak and lobster, ironically, at a steakhouse! My boyfriend's steak was bland, small, and not cooked to his liking. It was the filet mignon and it disappointed. I thought it tasted just OK; he really did not like it. It was served with brie. The lobster we got was TERRIBLE. Completely tasteless, not hot, and just blah. I didn't even want to finish it. For $20, that's ridiculous.

Overall, we left the restaurant confused and disappointed and understanding why they needed a Groupon to get people in. We will definitely not return and not recommend this place to any sort of customer.

1  Thank SheyJosie
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Had dinner at CUT and was disappointed with the quality and presentation of the food.
The steak/ meat dishes comprise most of the entrees. My wife ordered the double cut lamb. Normally, double cut dishes are plentiful. Not at CUT though. Besides being paltry in size, four lollipop size pieces for a 38 dollar price, they were not very tasty. This was due to the lack of meat on the bone. In general, entrees ran from $35 to $45 dollars. Pricey but tolerable if the food was worth it. I ordered the Chilean Sea bass on risotto. What I got was a small patty shaped risotto with a fragment of sea bass on top. I do not know what they put in the risotto that gave it a greasy consistency but my guess is that it was an olive oil of some sort. Unfortunately, that particular ingredient was the ONLY generous portion served during our dinner. It was used too much and was overwhelming to the taste. Next time I choose to try some high end dining in West Orange Nj I will snip CUT and head for the Manor.

2  Thank Peter B
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I took my kids to CUT on a Tuesday night - very quiet, empty. The service was great, and the food was very good. We had salmon, filet mignon, and asparagus. We would definitely return.

1  Thank Rachel B