“Worst Customer Service Ever”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 1, 2007

To start off with, as a member of a wedding party, I called several weeks ahead to book my room only to be informed I missed the deadline to book under that wedding party!! The individual was SO rude on the phone and only after speaking with a manager did I get a room under the group rate. Upon arrival at midnight the night of the wedding, I was given a key to a room that supposedly had 2 double beds. However, I did not get to find out since that room was OCCUPIED. Nothing like trying to key into a room only to have the door opened by a man in his pj's. They then gave us a room with a King size bed. Only it was the handicap room and smelled like an ashtray!!! However, at that point, having been doing wedding things all day, I crashed in the room. Upon telling the front desk this, they claimed to have taken $50 off our stay. However, the next day I discovered they had charged my credit card the full rate PLUS $20!! I am still trying to get my money refunded. Word of the wise, if you are having a wedding nearby, have your guests stay some where else!!

• Stayed: December 2006
2  Thank Mikeysgirl120

Reviewed November 19, 2006

We booked out over 20 rooms for our wedding guests and each of them were thrilled & impressed with the hotel- the property, the rooms and the service. To be honest we were reluctant at first, because of the reviews but so glad we stuck with them! In the middle of our planning they were taken over by new management and we worked closely with the head of sales as well as management and they were such a pleasure to work with and extremely accommodating! We have stood at other highend hotels in the area which were reserved for weddings we had been to, but we feel this far surpassed them and at a much more reasonable price! And they have a shuttle! There was nothing better then knowing all our overnight guests could let loose and not have to worry about drinking and driving.

• Stayed: November 2006
5  Thank Goin-To-The-Chapel
Reviewed October 4, 2006

This Hotel took reservations for 8 rooms for our party which were guaranteed with Credit Cards and confirmed the Thursday before the Saturday arrival. This was to be a wedding weekend for family and friends. The reality was the Hotel accommodated just the Parents of the Bride, all others including the bride and groom were sent to two other locations and spent the better part of the evening being shuttled around Essex County. It should be noted that 2 other wedding weekend parties for the same time period were also displaced; in total some 50 people were without rooms. I would recommend the Marriot Courtyard in the same area, the rooms were priced better and it was a brand new facility.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank desomma4
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I had nothing but trouble with this hotel and I would never recommend it to anyone. First they told me that the shuttle wasn't available adn that I had to pay $200, when I had confirmed a shuttle for my day 3 weeks prior, but that was just a start to it all. Then, 2 days before the wedding, I went to check that all of my rooms that were booked were confirmed and they told me yes. Well, when 2 of my guests went to check in they said that they overbooked and that they were getting sent to another hotel and they couldn't take the shuttle, so my father had to end up driving to the reception and therefore wasn't able to drink and have a good time. Then at 12:30pm, when the reception was over, the bridal party and the groom and I went to go check in , only for them to say that all of our rooms were gone, because they overbooked. Can you believe that on my wedding night they overbooked my suite and therefore I had no where to go on the most special night of my life so far. I had the most horrible experience with this hotel and would never go back to them, even if my life depended on it. Beth

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank basebs06
Reviewed September 24, 2006

We were supposed to stay here after my sister's wedding. We all went to check in after the wedding, and they had given our rooms away to other people. They had also given two other wedding parties' rooms away; they even gave away the bride and groom's room! If you want to watch several brides cry on their wedding night, stay at the Wilshire Grand Hotel

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank digitalgd21
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My family raved about the hotel. After my wedding I received many calls about the Wilshire. My family and friends all were very pleased from the free breakfast to the hotel restaurant. I don't know what happened to the other people in the previous reviews, but my new wife and I had no problems from our first call to the hotel, until we checked out. I guess everyone has bad days. I would reccommend the Wilshire for anyone who wants something more than a Hampton or a Holiday Inn. The Wilshire is unique, at the right price.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank J-Com
Reviewed August 10, 2006

I booked a block of rooms for my wedding. Upon our arrival I was told that they did not have the reservations for the bride (me), the groom and one of our groomsmen. I proceeded to give them all the information that they need (confirmation #) and was still told SORRY we are booked. It took over an hour for this "mis communication" to settle yet, our groomsmen did not get his room. He had to stay with the groom. Needless to say, I was late to my own rehearsal dinner due to the mess that we had to go through.

Then... to make matters worse NOT ONE OF MY GUESTS INCLUDING THE BRIDE AND GROOM got any sleep due to other guest screaming and drinking in the halls (bottles were everywhere). We complained all night and the hotel would only give some guests a refund for half of what they paid. They are still fighting and it has been over a month since we stayed there. Staying at this hotel was nothing but a headache!!!

Do yourself and your guest a BIG favor and STAY ELSEWHERE!!!

Stayed: July 2006
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
#1 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!