“awful”

GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“awful”
Reviewed October 4, 2006

This Hotel took reservations for 8 rooms for our party which were guaranteed with Credit Cards and confirmed the Thursday before the Saturday arrival. This was to be a wedding weekend for family and friends. The reality was the Hotel accommodated just the Parents of the Bride, all others including the bride and groom were sent to two other locations and spent the better part of the evening being shuttled around Essex County. It should be noted that 2 other wedding weekend parties for the same time period were also displaced; in total some 50 people were without rooms. I would recommend the Marriot Courtyard in the same area, the rooms were priced better and it was a brand new facility.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank desomma4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
new jersey
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I had nothing but trouble with this hotel and I would never recommend it to anyone. First they told me that the shuttle wasn't available adn that I had to pay $200, when I had confirmed a shuttle for my day 3 weeks prior, but that was just a start to it all. Then, 2 days before the wedding, I went to check that all of my rooms that were booked were confirmed and they told me yes. Well, when 2 of my guests went to check in they said that they overbooked and that they were getting sent to another hotel and they couldn't take the shuttle, so my father had to end up driving to the reception and therefore wasn't able to drink and have a good time. Then at 12:30pm, when the reception was over, the bridal party and the groom and I went to go check in , only for them to say that all of our rooms were gone, because they overbooked. Can you believe that on my wedding night they overbooked my suite and therefore I had no where to go on the most special night of my life so far. I had the most horrible experience with this hotel and would never go back to them, even if my life depended on it. Beth

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank basebs06
jersey city
Reviewed September 24, 2006

We were supposed to stay here after my sister's wedding. We all went to check in after the wedding, and they had given our rooms away to other people. They had also given two other wedding parties' rooms away; they even gave away the bride and groom's room! If you want to watch several brides cry on their wedding night, stay at the Wilshire Grand Hotel

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank digitalgd21
Hauppauge, NY
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My family raved about the hotel. After my wedding I received many calls about the Wilshire. My family and friends all were very pleased from the free breakfast to the hotel restaurant. I don't know what happened to the other people in the previous reviews, but my new wife and I had no problems from our first call to the hotel, until we checked out. I guess everyone has bad days. I would reccommend the Wilshire for anyone who wants something more than a Hampton or a Holiday Inn. The Wilshire is unique, at the right price.

• Liked — The Restaurant
  • Disliked — No Pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring Food for Kids they have fridges in the rooms.
  • Stayed July 2006
1 Thank J-Com
New Jersey
Reviewed August 10, 2006

I booked a block of rooms for my wedding. Upon our arrival I was told that they did not have the reservations for the bride (me), the groom and one of our groomsmen. I proceeded to give them all the information that they need (confirmation #) and was still told SORRY we are booked. It took over an hour for this "mis communication" to settle yet, our groomsmen did not get his room. He had to stay with the groom. Needless to say, I was late to my own rehearsal dinner due to the mess that we had to go through.

Then... to make matters worse NOT ONE OF MY GUESTS INCLUDING THE BRIDE AND GROOM got any sleep due to other guest screaming and drinking in the halls (bottles were everywhere). We complained all night and the hotel would only give some guests a refund for half of what they paid. They are still fighting and it has been over a month since we stayed there. Staying at this hotel was nothing but a headache!!!

Do yourself and your guest a BIG favor and STAY ELSEWHERE!!!

Stayed July 2006
1 Thank bynford
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2006

Wedding Planning...think again! After speaking with the sales associate about booking rooms for my wedding, I was told 30 rooms would be no problem and they took my information and said the contract was in the mail. Upon follow up 2 weeks later, they told us the hotel was sold out and they weren't sure what happened. Supposedly, a popular hotel for wedding groups...keep looking. No need to add stress...the bad reviews in 2005 were well deserved.

• Stayed June 2006
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!