“Great Service”

GreenLeadersGold level
nj
“Great Service”
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We had 120 guests at our class reunion held at the wilshire we also had a block of rooms for the out of towners it was great working with Nelsy she always returned my emails and answered my questions Everybody truly enjoyed our 30 yr reunion and cant wait to do it again, the hotel was beautiful and clean and the breakfast was great

• Stayed October 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
ATL/LA/FL
Reviewed October 4, 2009

We stayed at the Wilshire Grand because our wedding was held at the venue attached. I have to say that the wedding was phenominal and I have nothing bad to say about the Wilshire Grand Caterers.
The HOTEL on the other hand, I have a mile long list of complaints. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. The only reason I would recommend this hotel would be if your wedding is being held next door it is convenient to not have to drive anywhere.
We had the BRIDAL suite for the whole weekend and we had many guests that were supposed to be coming down for the weekend from all over the world. We made a mistake and waited too long to book some of the rooms for our guests past our cut off. Therefore, the hotel released our held rooms to the public. When we tried to book the rooms we were lied to by hotel management who told us the hotel was sold out for the weekend. Every time we called we were told that they were sold out for the weekend. It turned out that they were NOT sold out but simply didnt want to honor the wedding rates for our rooms and therefore lied to us so we wouldnt make a fuss.
When we tried to check in on Friday at after FOUR pm (when check in is at 3) we had to wait for our room for 30 minutes. We had another guest there who was staying Fri through Mon who had to wait for his room for TWO hours, even though it was after the check in time of 3pm.
On Saturday morning we left our room for some hours and returned early afternoon to find out our BRIDAL SUITE has not bee cleaned. Some great service for the bride and groom. When we called the front desk we were told that housekeeping is leaving at 4 and they can only clean the room now. I mentioned to them that now is NOT a good time because we came back to the room to rest before our rehearsal dinner. The staff was far less than even remotely accomodating. When I contacted one of the managers with my disappointment she actually rectified the situation, arranged for the cleaning and even delivered some goodies to the room to try and make up for the situation. This manager would actually be the number 2 reason I would recommend the hotel because she did go above and beyond and was very helpful.
We left the hotel with a sour taste in our mouth mainly for the above 2 mentioned reasons among others.

• Stayed September 2009
washington, dc
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I used the Wilshire Grand for my wedding hotel block (I got married at Crystal Plaza in Livingston, NJ, not far from the hotel). They were absolutely wonderful!! Nelsy, who works at the Wilshire, helped me every step of the way. She gave me suggestions on who could do my hair and makeup the day of the wedding. She also helped me arrange shuttles to and from the Wilshire Grand to my wedding venue (which were free of charge and ran perfectly)!! The rooms were spotless and gorgeous, we even had a jacuzzi in our complimentary room the night of the wedding!!!

In addition, the hotel provides free breakfast in the mornings. As I had messed up the times for brunch for the day after my wedding, Nelsy accomodated me and extended the hours for the free breakfast in the lobby.

We had our rehearsal dinner at the hotel, and they were amazing! They even used the leftovers from our rehearsal dinner for our after party at the hotel bar.

I could not ask for more from a hotel. I was very pleased.

• Stayed July 2009
New Jersey
Reviewed September 10, 2009

She is so competent and helpful. We held our daughter's wedding at the Wilshire Grand and Nelsy organized our block of rooms and dealt with an enormous amount of details. Nelsy is the head of social sales. We had a huge amount of requests and Nelsy saw to it that everything was handled very professionally. She is also very upbeat and extremely good at working with people.

We loved the WIlshire!

• Stayed September 2009
Arizona
Reviewed September 6, 2009

The Wilshire Grand really takes care of its guests: the rooms are well-equipped, the staff is extremely helpful and courteous, there are snacks at happy hour and even warm cookies in the afternoon!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2009

The Wilshire Grand is a notch or two above a standard business class hotel and comfortable in many ways, but fails on one important basic -- lighting. I don't need luxury, but in order to be comfortable, I have 3 needs beyond cleanliness: a good bed, a good shower, and decent lighting.

Bad lighting cast what I would describe as a gloomy/green palor over our suite. Not only was it seriously lacking in brightness, it was impossible to see myself well enough in the bathroom to put on my makeup. As we were there for a formal evening event, this was an issue. I was informed by the front desk that they had converted to fluorescent bulbs a couple of years ago, and while I applaud their energy conservation efforts, clearly a lighting consultant was not involved. They had no other bulbs or make-up mirror available. I ended up going to CVS and buying natural color light bulbs and putting them in all the standing lamps. The overhead lights were still bad/inadequate, but, along with a hand held magnifying mirror, I was able to see well enough to apply mascara. Given the number of weddings and formal events held at this hotel, I would think that lighting would be more of a priority.

Other than the lighting, our suite was large and clean, with a great 2-person multi-jet shower, a spotless jacuzzi tub, and pillow top mattress (a little too soft for my taste, but most would find it comfortable). Decor was not the epitome of luxury, but certainly fine and there was a good iron and ironing board in the closet.

There were a couple of housekeeping issues during our 2 night stay. On Saturday, we returned to our room after 3:00 p.m. in order to take a nap before dressing for a formal evening event only to find that Housekeeping had been there and stripped the bed, but had not been back to clean or put on new sheets. After calling to complain, we waiting almost 40 minutes before our room was made up, at which point we had to forget about the nap. As if to make up for this, at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, check-out day, the maid came in to clean -- not only before we checked out, but also without knocking first. Someone needs to coordinate the housekeeping staff a bit better. Also, the refrigerator/freezer in our room was either never plugged in or unplugged by the cleaning staff, and a pint of ice cream we put in melted all over the freezer -- not a big deal.

Overall, the stay was fine/acceptable, the front desk staff was friendly, and the grounds are beautifully kept. Breakfast was perfectly ok with enough choices for everyone and good fresh fruit salad. There is no swimming pool.

If lighting isn't something that you are particularly sensitive about, you may easily have an enjoyable visit..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Red Bank, NJ
Reviewed March 31, 2009

I recently got married at Nanina's in the Park, and we booked a block of rooms for about 60 guests at the Wilshire Grand. Our experience was wonderful. We worked with Nelsy, who helped to coordinate everything, including our shuttle to and from Nanina's for about 60 guests!

Our number one requirement with choosing a hotel was that it had to provide shuttle service for our guests and there had to be some sort of complimentary breakfast for everyone the next morning. The Wilshire Grand & Nelsy met these requirements with flying colors. She also went above and beyond to make sure our honeymoon suite was complete with rose petals and champagne!!! Our wedding was wonderful and it was so great that even after the wedding was over, we got to come back to a beautiful, clean hotel with nice people and an awesome bar in the Primavera Restaurant to keep the party going at! :)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!