“Thought it would be fancier”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed here overnight while attending a wedding. Room was nice and spacious. Bathroom was quiet as far as not hearing what was going on in it while others were in the bedroom area. The shower head kept getting water on the floor past the curtain, couldn't stop it. Towels were pretty rough. Didn't like to see a surge protector hanging in mid air between the mini fridge and little table. Made me think I was at a second rate hotel. There was trash on the floor for nearly 24 hours before it was picked up. Same with someone's room service tray; sat there for a while. Wasn't much info regarding the hotel in the hotel binder, mostly just local menus. I didn't even see a menu for the restaurant on site. Fitness room, well don't expect too much. Some small towels would have been better than a paper towel dispenser as far as sweat is concerned. The breakfast was ok. I stayed at a Hyatt Place where they had hot scrambled eggs vs. the hard boiled eggs and many more items with a better grade of coffee at a lesser rate. Nicely landscaped. Ate out on the patio off the breakfast room...very pleasant. Scones were good. Staff was moderately friendly and I liked the free shuttle to and from the venue of the wedding.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ternick
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Ternick,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. It is unfortunate we didn't hear of the shower head issue or the refuse on the floor near your room until now. It's always an advantage to hear of these things before checkout so we can address them while it's still fresh, while also giving us an opportunity to do the right thing for the guest regardless of how urgent or minor the issue might seem at the time. If it leaves a guest feeling less than delighted - it bothers us! Please contact me directly so I may have the chance to deal with your expectations swiftly and professionally. Any rating less than excellent is a negative rating to us. I may be reached at 862-252-8440 should you be kind enough to speak with me.

There are newer reviews for The Wilshire Grand Hotel

Reviewed July 14, 2014

On our road trip to return to New Jersey for a High School Reunion, this was the best hotel in the whole trip. The things I look for are friendly helpful staff, clean spacious room with comfortable bed, hot shower with thick soft towels, quiet at night and close self-parking. The Wilshire Grand has it all! And the breakfast was a great assortment including bacon. Our favorite person was Mercedes the bartender, fun and helped me figure out a feature on my cell phone. And not too far from New York City without the NY hassles.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Stephen B,

Thank you for your wonderful review. Know that we really do strive to be the very best we can and the very best in West Orange. Your memorializing your satisfaction regarding your recent stay is truly appreciated and will be shared with my team. I will be sure to let Mercedes in Primavera know of your comments as well. I thank you and we look forward to your next visit with us.
Graciously,
Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We have been guests at the Wilshire Grand Hotel whenever we visited the NY Metropolitan area over the past 10 years. We always enjoy the excellent service and accommodations. As we reminisced about our special attraction to the hotel, we realized there is one very special employee who routinely exceeds all our expectations of the high performance standards and exceptional work ethic we have come to admire about the Wilshire's team of employees. Florence, the breakfast operations manager, deserves special recognition and reward for her model performance as a "World Class" employee. So, please continue to do everything possible to keep and reward Florence for her excellent work. Thank you.
From Dallas, TX

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Lester W,

Thank you so much for pointing out Florence's workmanship. She's been with me for several years and there aren't enough truly loyal associates like Florence. I will be sure she is mad aware of your comments and she'll be rewarded for her performance. Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed July 11, 2014

The WIlshire Grand Hotel has luxurious accomodations in their suites. We stayed there the night of our wedding. We were able to check in earlier than planned. The staff was very nice to move things around for us to have the room earlier than anticipated. The suite was large, spacious and comfortable. We were pleased with our stay there for one night.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Dear CSJTParker,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to be chosen as the place to kick start your new life together! Your kind words are truly appreciated and will always mean everything to myself and my team.

Ed Reagoso-General Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My experience with holding business meetings along with accommodations for my sales staff have exceeded expectations. My company switched to The Wilshire Grand after a disappointing experience at a competing property.
And a special shout out to Jac'lynn Johnson who went over and beyond to help make my meetings a success.
Thank you!

Scott M. Larkin
Senior VP Sales & Marketing
LycoRed Corp.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Scott,

Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. As you know, my team and I work diligently to insure we're # 1 with TripAdvisor. Your great review will help us get back to our deserved spot and stay number 1 in West Orange. Your review will be shared with my team and again I thank you for taking the time to post this review.

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay! Stayed in the suite and was very clean. The staff was very nice and helpful. Great little getaway. From the moment we walked in the door we were greeted very nicely and the room was just beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2014
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Jennifer V,

Thank you kindly for posting this terrific review on TripAdvisor. Unlike other hotels in the area you should have the pleasure of knowing that your comments are being listened and responded to by a member of the ownership here at The Wilshire Grand Hotel. Not only is this not the norm for most hotels but it's also indicative to how much we truly care. Try getting a response from a competitors owner...it probably won't happen. It doesn't mean they don't care...it just means we care more. We care more because we are completely independent as well as locally owned and operated. This is our business and every comment is reviewed with our team and owners. It is our gauge for service success. Thank you for keeping us informed and for your treasured loyalty!
Ed Reagoso, General Manager and Ownership Member

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Jac’lynn, the Meetings and Conventions Sales Manager, was especially attentive, helpful, and responsive to details and needed room arrangements, in making our training conference a success. Participants gave high ratings to the locale and food served.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank NJnetworker
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear NJnetworker,

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful review. I know Jac'Lynn will appreciate it as well when she sees it. We take great pride in our meeting venue standards and having you memorialize your satisfaction with TripAdvisor does us well. I thank you as well as my team mates and look forward to doing business in the future with you. Be sure to inquire about our Stash Reward points now being offered on meeting dollars spent!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!