“Need new keys :)”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked hotel online- was quick and easy. Could not choose a King Size bed for some reason. Upon arrival, the hotel was very clean, staff was friendly BUT the room keys weren't the easiest to use, one of the maids let us in at first. Had to go back to the front desk to get it fixed and we weren't the only ones with the wedding we were attending.(even the bride and groom had an issue with their keys!) Beds were very comfortable. Overall a nice, clean hotel- would stay there again if needed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear rxscorpio,

Thank you for your prompt and kind review. When booking on line if a room type does not show availability it's always advisable in my opinion to call the hotel directly and see if there is anything that can be done. In your case we were sold out of "Kings" at the time but one can always follow up with an email after booking and we'll do our very best to get them into a preferred room type when and if it becomes available. Regarding the key issue we had that weekend, I am afraid one of our terminals was out of sync with the Master Unit and not all of the keys worked if they were made by the improperly timed machine. We now know this was due to a brown-out Saturday that interrupted the key sync process. Happy to say this has been completely resolved but I regret you were inconvenienced. My staff & I are grateful however that all else went very well. Please contact me directly on your next trip and I will upgrade you to our best available suite for the inconvenience. Your review is very much appreciated!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

You were very accommodating given we showed up 2 hours before normal check-in carrying a baby and in need of more than normal attention. Thank you very much for your help. The desk attendant and the maintenance man that retrieved the crib were very friendly and attended our needs immeiately.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear 153JamesS153,

Your review with TripAdvisor is much appreciated. I will be sure to share your review with my team as well. My staff and I take every review to heart and we will always gauge our success on TripAdvisor reviews because it is one of the few travel review websites that verify guest stays prior to posting the reviews on the internet now.

Most sincerely,

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel was a great find! The staff was incredible! They could write the book on customer service. The hotel has a shuttle which will take you to your destination (reasonable distance of course). The hallways were quiet, and never heard any street traffic. The free breakfast was extensive and very good. When I arrived back each day after a long day of work, there was popcorn popping, hot chocolate chip cookies... and if you think that was great - each evening there was a managers reception - bacon wrapped scallops and mini cheeseburgers. There was also beer and wine for a very small fee. Room service was fast and the food was delicious I will always come back. .G. Size

Room Tip: Ask for a upgrade, if available the charge is reasonable
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear GailS560,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I much appreciate the time you have personally taken to post your experience with our friends at TripAdvisor. We remain # 1 with TripAdvisor in West Orange and have received their Certificate of Excellence. We have been # 1 with TripAdvisor since February 2008!

Thank you!!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We booked a little getaway for a night through a groupon deal a few months ago. This hotel exceeded our expectations! Not only is the outsite beautiful, but the inside is beautifully decorated and CLEAN. Our room was spacious, quiet and well laid out. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The restaurant, Primavera, was delish!

We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who feels like staying close to NYC without paying a high price for a small cramped hotel in the city. Go here!!! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Danielle D,

Thank you very much for posting high marks regarding our hotel product & services. My staff and I are very pleased that you took the time to post this wonderful review with our friends at TripAdvisor. Did you know that TripAdvisor is one of the few hotel review sites that actually assure postings and reviews are completed by actual hotel guests so they cannot be faked or created dishonestly. We love TripAdvisor for that and expect many review sites to follow in their footsteps! This assures honest and legitimate engagement with real guests. Thank you for your wonderful comments!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Hope I spelled her name right! Haven't even stayed there yet, but Capri could not have been more helpful! I made a mistake and booked at a seedy hotel without knowing what it was like! They said it was nonrefundable, but she called and made sure that my reservation was fully cancelled and I wouldn't be charged. She was sweet, helpful and reassuring. She confirmed my suspicions about the other hotel and warned me that it would not be the safest for me.
Can't wait to stay at the Wilshire and will look for Capri to thank her in person!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank thankful23_23
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Thankful23_23,

Thanks for letting us know about Capri's recommendation and the assistance she gave you. Capri has been true service asset since she arrived hare and your comments are much appreciated. We await your arrival and I too look forward to thanking you personally for your patronage and friendship!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Booked this hotel for the proximity to a business mtg. Very nice, clean, well appointed rooms in a great location for restaurants and shops. It was quiet even though there was a very large wedding party staying there the same night.
Breakfast buffet in the morning was perfect.
They had a very small exercise room that did need a little TLC.
Will stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear MayorMike12,

Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor! We gauge our service success on TripAdvisor more so than any other e-commerce review site. The reason is because each review is verified and proven to be a real guest now. Often sites don't verify and reviews become questionable. The fact that you have reviewed nine other hotels makes you a Senior Contributor and your review is taken even more seriously, not just by my own staff but all readers on TripAdvisor. On your next trip please reach out and contact me. I would truly appreciate your comments on how I can get that perfect score from you on your next trip!

Much appreciated!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Wilshire Grand Hotel is my go to choice when working in New Jersey. They always take good care of me. I've probably stayed here 3 times already and am returning again next week. The rooms are comfortable. They know i am noise sensitive and always give me quiet rooms.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Greg P,

Thank you once again for your kind comments. As you know by now we depend on "word of mouth" as well as official legitimate reviews that come from our TripAdvisor friends especially. Please stop by & say hello your next time in so I may have an opportunity to reward you with your loyalty with a complimentary suite upgrade!

See you soon!

La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
#1 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!