“What a Great Place”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel was a great find! The staff was incredible! They could write the book on customer service. The hotel has a shuttle which will take you to your destination (reasonable distance of course). The hallways were quiet, and never heard any street traffic. The free breakfast was extensive and very good. When I arrived back each day after a long day of work, there was popcorn popping, hot chocolate chip cookies... and if you think that was great - each evening there was a managers reception - bacon wrapped scallops and mini cheeseburgers. There was also beer and wine for a very small fee. Room service was fast and the food was delicious I will always come back. .G. Size

Room Tip: Ask for a upgrade, if available the charge is reasonable
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear GailS560,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I much appreciate the time you have personally taken to post your experience with our friends at TripAdvisor. We remain # 1 with TripAdvisor in West Orange and have received their Certificate of Excellence. We have been # 1 with TripAdvisor since February 2008!

Thank you!!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We booked a little getaway for a night through a groupon deal a few months ago. This hotel exceeded our expectations! Not only is the outsite beautiful, but the inside is beautifully decorated and CLEAN. Our room was spacious, quiet and well laid out. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The restaurant, Primavera, was delish!

We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who feels like staying close to NYC without paying a high price for a small cramped hotel in the city. Go here!!! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Danielle D,

Thank you very much for posting high marks regarding our hotel product & services. My staff and I are very pleased that you took the time to post this wonderful review with our friends at TripAdvisor. Did you know that TripAdvisor is one of the few hotel review sites that actually assure postings and reviews are completed by actual hotel guests so they cannot be faked or created dishonestly. We love TripAdvisor for that and expect many review sites to follow in their footsteps! This assures honest and legitimate engagement with real guests. Thank you for your wonderful comments!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Hope I spelled her name right! Haven't even stayed there yet, but Capri could not have been more helpful! I made a mistake and booked at a seedy hotel without knowing what it was like! They said it was nonrefundable, but she called and made sure that my reservation was fully cancelled and I wouldn't be charged. She was sweet, helpful and reassuring. She confirmed my suspicions about the other hotel and warned me that it would not be the safest for me.
Can't wait to stay at the Wilshire and will look for Capri to thank her in person!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank thankful23_23
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Thankful23_23,

Thanks for letting us know about Capri's recommendation and the assistance she gave you. Capri has been true service asset since she arrived hare and your comments are much appreciated. We await your arrival and I too look forward to thanking you personally for your patronage and friendship!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Booked this hotel for the proximity to a business mtg. Very nice, clean, well appointed rooms in a great location for restaurants and shops. It was quiet even though there was a very large wedding party staying there the same night.
Breakfast buffet in the morning was perfect.
They had a very small exercise room that did need a little TLC.
Will stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear MayorMike12,

Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor! We gauge our service success on TripAdvisor more so than any other e-commerce review site. The reason is because each review is verified and proven to be a real guest now. Often sites don't verify and reviews become questionable. The fact that you have reviewed nine other hotels makes you a Senior Contributor and your review is taken even more seriously, not just by my own staff but all readers on TripAdvisor. On your next trip please reach out and contact me. I would truly appreciate your comments on how I can get that perfect score from you on your next trip!

Much appreciated!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Wilshire Grand Hotel is my go to choice when working in New Jersey. They always take good care of me. I've probably stayed here 3 times already and am returning again next week. The rooms are comfortable. They know i am noise sensitive and always give me quiet rooms.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Greg P,

Thank you once again for your kind comments. As you know by now we depend on "word of mouth" as well as official legitimate reviews that come from our TripAdvisor friends especially. Please stop by & say hello your next time in so I may have an opportunity to reward you with your loyalty with a complimentary suite upgrade!

See you soon!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed over one night for short get-a-away. Room was classy, lovely design. Bath amenities perfect. Pillows and beds the most comfortable and high quality. Outdoor space for seating and gazebo is beautiful. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear li b,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I'm so happy you had the chance to look around and see our property in spite of our recent questionable weather. In a few short weeks our tulips will be in bloom and we'll again be maintaining our gardens and Yappy Yard. Thanks for noticing the added touches we provide and please let me know when you're returning so I may have the opportunity to thank you in person.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Wilshire Grand Hotel for a NYC Girlfriend Weekend Getaway. I travel quite often and have stayed in many, many, hotels and I must say that this is by far one of the best experiences I have ever had. The rooms are beautifully decorated, ultra clean and so comfortable! The staff is excellent as they are efficent, friendly and polite. The complimentary breakfast is convenient and delicious offering a variety of breakfast food from freshly made waffles to cereal and danish. The hotel is conveniently close to the big apple for a fraction of the cost. I will not only take a trip back and stay at the Wilshire, I will recommend and even try to plan another trip with all of my friends and family from Philadelphia!

Karen Rawlings

Room Tip: We occupied 2 rooms, one was a suite and the other a double occupancy. Both were spacious so I woul...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Karen,

Thank you so much for your kind words! They're very much appreciated. I'm sorry I didn't get to say good-bye before you left. Next time! It makes me proud any time someone from my old stomping grounds recommends us. Hoping to see you again soon!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
#2 of 5 in Morristown
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!