“Perfect venue for a New Year's wedding!”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Manalapan, New Jersey
“Perfect venue for a New Year's wedding!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the Wilshire Grand and had an excellent experience with our family and friends. The staff was very nice, the room was great for our family of four. The cocktail hour was incredible, and dinner was more than we could eat. The dance floor was great for the 200+ guests. Morning breakfast was a welcome treat, and offered something for everyone, from bagels and oatmeal to waffles and breakfast burritos. I would recommends taking at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Seashore7,

Thank you so much for posting this great review on TripAdvisor. My staff & I work diligently to insure that everyone has a great stay to remember. I much appreciate the fact that you took the time to post this review on New Years Day! The party was equally fun for my team and I and we hope to see all of you again! Have a GREAT 2013!

Ed Reagoso - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Of the several hundred hotels I have stayed at world-wide, the Wilshire must be one of the very best. Ed Reaguso and his team truly care about their guests’ well-being. If you are anywhere in the Northern NJ area for business or pleasure, take the opportunity to stay at the Wilshire, for this is a place that is not cookie-cutter, that has personal charm, and that has the resources to provide first-class service.

During a professional transition, I stayed at the Wilshire for around 250 nights during the past 12 months. For several months, my family joined me in one of the suites. From the first day to the last day of our stay, the hotel staff really treated us like we were family. I cannot even begin to tell you how my family has appreciated the care that we have received from the staff and Ed, the manager. I have never seen such personal attention by an entire hotel staff team anywhere else. Everyone has always been there for us, cared about our family’s well-being, went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. I thank Ed and his entire team for the tremendous hospitality during our stay.

I will say that our family was also at the hotel during Sandy. As “regulars,” we saw the hotel change over-night from a luxury hotel to somewhat of a fully-booked emergency shelter. Naturally, there was a lot of pressure on many guests and on the personnel due to the circumstances. I was quite humbled to see with how much grace and calm the staff managed these unique situations. While most guests were merely inconvenienced by power outages, it was the Wilshire staff that continued to work through these toughest of conditions, keeping everyone safe, calm and cared for. The staff managed to convey a feeling of community and belonging through the group of guests that was really remarkable and admirable.

On a professional side, throughout the year, our company also runs formal functions in the area, and we frequently book function rooms at the Wilshire. Our functions range from 10 to 150 people, and we have always been extremely well cared for by the Wilshire staff. The team around Jackie is very flexible with accommodations and the venues themselves are splendid.

Despite an annual average of 150 hotel stays and the associated several hundred hotels that I must have visited, I never before felt compelled to write a review. I see a few reviews here that reference negative experiences. During the past year, I was able to witness many unique front-desk situations that were truly handled by the staff with excellence; surely better than I could have handled them. Personally I am sure that any negative experience at the hotel was either based on a misunderstanding, or had to do with some sort of bad luck, on a really bad day. I know that if anything would be brought to the staff’s or Ed’s attention, it would be fixed to the satisfaction of the guest.

Do yourself a favor; plan your next vacation, wedding, business or other function at the Wilshire. You will not be disappointed.

If you have any questions about the review, please feel free to message me

Thanks

Alex L

Room Tip: all rooms great, suites are really worth the extra money, get one with whirlpool in bedroom for a tr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear AlexL2012,

You & your family have truly become family and your wonderful review is so very much appreciated! This review, coming from someone with your travel savvy demands and expectations pretty much leaves me speechless except to say thank you so kindly for becoming part of our family. We will be thrilled to have you back should the opportunity ever occur, not to mention how your entire family is already missed by all of us!

Most Sincerely,

Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had a wedding block here and I have heard nothing but good reports from the entire group. The staff did a great job helping wherever needed. The property was clean, comfortable and well supplied. Excellent experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear berobi,
Your family & friends were truly a delight and we are so happy to have been a part of such a great occasion. Thank you very much for posting your wonderful review with TripAdvisor and we wish you a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I enjoyed the large room. The hotel was very clean and the staff was helpful when needed. An excellent value and a welcome change from the large hotel chains. We would stay here again! LMJ

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear easytobook.com Traveler,

Thank you kindly for your terrific comments posted on TripAdvisor. I am always happy when a new guest stays with us instead of a "chain" hotel when in the area. My team & I work hard to provide a unique and service driven atmosphere. We've been Rated # 1 in West Orange by TripAdvisor guests since February 2008 and we wear the badge proudly!! Thanks for choosing to stay with us and Happy New Year to you & your family!

soundbeach
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stay for my sons wedding ,my son rented a block of rooms i have nothing bad to say evrything was great from checking in nto cheacking out, the front desk workers was so friendy and very helpful , i have nothing bad to say i will let friends and family to deffenty stay there the place is beautiful ,clean love the room, will deffenty come for a stay again .the bdedroom was very big the bathroom was huge,was very pleased

Room Tip: all look great
Dear fullmoon1061,

Thank you for you posting this great review on TripAdvisor. We know you had a choice in where to book your sons wedding group and we so appreciate that you chose us over our chain competitors. As a small, independent business operator we work diligently to provide our guests with a list of unique services that we feel are above & beyond the basic element of a good housekeeping execution. Thank you for noticing & we hope to see you & your family again soon.
Happy New Year!

Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had our son's bar mitzvah catered at this hotel today. It was the absolute best. We could not be more pleased. Everything from the room setup to the food to the entertainment was excellent. The food was delicious and plentiful. The entertainment was through the DJ/MC company that has an office at this hotel. The DJ/MC was the best I have ever seen! He was so high energy and entertained us and the kids at the party. Our MC was Jay of Spinners Entertainment. We would recommend him highly. Also, Jackie Seife, who arranged our party was so helpful and was present during our party. The quality and service was terrific, and we would not hesitate having a party again here in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear New Jersey Mari,

Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We have been rated # 1 in West Orange with TripAdvisor since February 2008 and we are very proud of it. The entertainment company that is on-site here is Jason Craig Entertainment and their offices are right here at The Loft. They offer wonderful services from a single DJ to 17 piece bands, photographers and everything in between. I will be sure to let Jackie know about your appreciation and we hope to see you again in the future. Thank you so MUCH!
Edward Reagoso - General Manager
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We spent four nights at the hotel over Thanksgiving. We had a King Superior and had a closet that was so small our suitcase would not fit in it and there was barely room for our hanging clothes. We were on the second floor and could hear people walking around in the room above us. The first morning the clock alarm went off at 7:00am (we did not set it) and the last night we were woken up at 1:45, 2:30 and 3:45 by very loud talking in the hallway outside our room. When we mentioned at check out no one even apologized. For the amount of time we were there and the money spent and based on reviews I would have expected better accommodations and at a minimum a freindlier more helpful staff. I beleive there was a wedding there the last night so our comfort and good not of sleep may not have been their first priority.

Room Tip: Select a 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear MMC806,

Your business is very much appreciated as well is your review. Clearly this will not be one of my favorite reviews to remember but we clearly did not meet your expectations and I am very sorry for that. I know we do better than this. My associate at checkout should have been much more empathetic with your complaint and he has been re-trained and consulted with regarding this. It was a very busy weekend for sure but no event or group of guests ever takes priority over another. If this was the case we would have never achieved # 1 In West Orange with TripAdvisor and we've been # 1 since February 2008. I rarely credit a guest account after a bad review posting if I had not been given the opportunity to resolve the concern prior to checkout. However, in this case the associate remembered the complaint and simply had not put his best foot forward in representing his peers, myself, and my hotel. He had an opportunity to make you a happy guest and he did not. I am very sorry about that! If you would kindly contact me directly, I will rebate you for your last nights' stay and I will be happy to work with you doing so. Please call me directly and I would truly appreciate you giving us another chance to show you "why" we're # 1 in West Orange, with TripAdvisor.

Ed Reagoso- General Manager
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!