“Another Not Quite so Grand”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We spent four nights at the hotel over Thanksgiving. We had a King Superior and had a closet that was so small our suitcase would not fit in it and there was barely room for our hanging clothes. We were on the second floor and could hear people walking around in the room above us. The first morning the clock alarm went off at 7:00am (we did not set it) and the last night we were woken up at 1:45, 2:30 and 3:45 by very loud talking in the hallway outside our room. When we mentioned at check out no one even apologized. For the amount of time we were there and the money spent and based on reviews I would have expected better accommodations and at a minimum a freindlier more helpful staff. I beleive there was a wedding there the last night so our comfort and good not of sleep may not have been their first priority.

Room Tip: Select a 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear MMC806,

Your business is very much appreciated as well is your review. Clearly this will not be one of my favorite reviews to remember but we clearly did not meet your expectations and I am very sorry for that. I know we do better than this. My associate at checkout should have been much more empathetic with your complaint and he has been re-trained and consulted with regarding this. It was a very busy weekend for sure but no event or group of guests ever takes priority over another. If this was the case we would have never achieved # 1 In West Orange with TripAdvisor and we've been # 1 since February 2008. I rarely credit a guest account after a bad review posting if I had not been given the opportunity to resolve the concern prior to checkout. However, in this case the associate remembered the complaint and simply had not put his best foot forward in representing his peers, myself, and my hotel. He had an opportunity to make you a happy guest and he did not. I am very sorry about that! If you would kindly contact me directly, I will rebate you for your last nights' stay and I will be happy to work with you doing so. Please call me directly and I would truly appreciate you giving us another chance to show you "why" we're # 1 in West Orange, with TripAdvisor.

Ed Reagoso- General Manager

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed there to attend a nearby wedding. The service was great. The room was very big and clean. The bathroom was huge, but could use a little more countertop room. We were very pleased with quality and service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear PamVGroton_NY,

Thank you for your terrific review. We have been rated # 1 with TripAdvisor since February 2008. This is a badge of honor we wear and our very proud of it. I am delighted that my staff and I have impressed you enough to shout it out to the world how great everything was.

Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at the Wilshire Grand after attending my boyfriend's sister's beautiful wedding within the same establishment. The ballroom and venue as a whole were absolutely wonderful, and from a wedding guest's perspective, the quality and service were wonderful. However, I was less pleased with the actual hotel itself. The first thing I noticed upon entering the room was a fly. We all know how hard it is to catch and kill a fly. The entire time that I spent getting ready for the wedding in the room, I spent trying to avoid the fly that was already there. The walls in the bathrooms are paper thin. I could actually hear the toilet in the next room flushing in my bathroom. I also noticed several stains on the window drapes near the bed. It was also hard to control the room temperature, as there was tape over the thermometer. In the morning, I was awoken several times by maintenance/housekeeping speaking loudly outside my room. The quality and arrangement of the room were nice, however, there were several little things that I came across that disappointed me. I was expecting a bit more from the Wilshire with regard to their hotel. The Wilshire is, however, a fabulous place to hold a wedding! Although I would suggest removal of the popcorn machine in the lobby in order to maintain a more "grand" appearance as the establishment so claims.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Kehern,

Thank you for your terrific comments regarding our wedding venue and how wonderful everything was at the wedding. I'm sorry your experience with the hotel was a bit less than expected. I see from your profile that you've posted four hotel reviews and some were at boutique properties. I personally thank you for staying with the independents as we are small businesses and operate under a different constraints than the big box brands. In many cases we are locally owned businesses operated in our own neighborhoods such as The Wilshire Grand Hotel. I wish we were called about the nuisance fly as I'm sure someone on my staff would have been able to help had we just been asked. There are unfortunately just a few rooms across from our elevators that are a bit noisier than most because of the construction footprint layout and bathroom placement though I rarely here a complaint about this. As soon as I read your review I went to the room you stayed in and there were some food stains on the lower portion of the bedside curtain. I, like you, was bothered by this. Thank you for making me aware of this. This type of thing is usually caught by my housekeeper and I offer no excuses, just a note of thanks and a promise to be even more vigil about cleanliness than we already are. During my inspection of the room today I saw no tape (or sign of) by the thermostat however I don't doubt that you saw this. I'm told that sometimes the sensitive plastic wall thermostat cover snaps do break and the fix is to glue the unit. This tape should have been caught prior to your check in as well and removed. Again my apologies. Regarding our popcorn, to be honest - the popcorn station with flavorings is a bit of a trademark for us. We have it out seven days a week from 3 to 8 p.m. along with our fresh baked cookies, brownies and seasonal hot or cold beverage. Though the popcorn doesn't represent "Grand" to some, to most is screams home, fun, & comfort which is why we offer it. I don't know any other hotel "anywhere" that gives free 24 hour coffee, tea, healthy - flavored waters, as well as afternoon popcorn, and cookies all complimentary to their guests like we do though I get that it's not quite what you might expect at a GRAND hotel. That's however we do it. Only scoring a three out of five is a disappointment for my staff and I so I would hope that you will contact me directly to discuss a return trip to allow us to prove to you that we can do better. We don't profess to be perfect, we do however profess that we will do our very best and continually beat our competitors in service and cleanliness. I truly hope to hear from you.

Ed Reagoso - General Manager

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at The Wilshire Grand during Hurricane Sandy. I looked for a Hotel that was pet - friendly and where I could find a room not only for myself but also my parents. Ed, the owner and manager is the most kind and considerate man you ever want to meet. He and his staff became more like family during this trying time. I have never been in a situation like this before and I must say that went above and beyond to make sure everyone that was there had all theirs needs taken care of. The employees ( who all had problems of their own ) were all so polite and helpful to everyone. From Shayna and Danielle at the desk to Florence and Marie who were up 24/7 to make breakfast for all.The best of the best. Thank You!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Karen S,

Thank you so much Karen for posting this terrific review. My staff & I have had some week. Interestingly, the empathy we all have has made my team even more cohesive than before. Your family is a delight and we are all so happy to have met such a great group of people. I certainly wish the circumstances were a bit different for all of us. You know, this is my fourth time living in New Jersey in my career and if anyone asks why I keep coming back, my answer is always - "You have to experience it to get it." I thank you for taking the time to be so gracious as to let everyone know how great things were with your stay during such trying times and know that you have a family and a home here whenever the need arises.

Most Sincerely,

Ed Reagoso - General Manager (and extended family member)

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Having just survived Hurricane Sandy, we were lucky to get this hotel for one night. I have never seen such a wonderful staff working together to make guests feel comfortable.

Not only were things organized, but everyone was handled with dignity and respect. What could have been bedlam turned into a delightful experience under the circumstances.

We were greeted by Shayna who worked behind the reception desk. After checking us in, she even helped me "wi-fi" my Ipad. There were so many people asking for rooms, and somehow the employees were coming out to help attend to all inquiries. Telephones were out of order.

We were upgraded to a suite which was quite large. The room was clean and even had candies in a dish for our pleasure. The living room had a kitchen area with a refrigerator, coffee pot, and microwave. The bathroom had a huge stall shower with faucets coming out in all directions. The bedroom had of all things a bathtub whirlpool in it.

We had dinner one night at Primavera that was attached to the hotel. There, too, the staff was attentive and the food good. There were many restaurants in the area with which to choose.

By it was the hospitality that won me over. Not only did they serve breakfast for all in the large lobby, but also they brought in pizza, had popcorn and pretzels, and even served wine in beer to help lift the spirits of guests who were without power and had damaged homes from the hurricane all at no extra charge.

They were sold out until the weekend when we came back with another reservation for several nights. As luck had it, we got a call that our electricity was working again, and they were so understanding that they didn't charge us for cancellation of our reservation at 4 p.m. Quite truthfully, rooms were at a premium everywhere in the area, but they didn't take advantage of our situation.

I will certainly recommend this hotel to out of towners who visit us in the future. I have never encountered such a wonderful team at any hotel, and this is after travelling the world over.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear New Jersey Wanderlust,

Coming from a Senior Contributor for TripAdvisor your review carries an awful lot of weight! I much appreciate your terrific comments and rest assured I will be letting the staff know of your review, truth be told they've probably seen it already because I typically find out each morning what comments are placed by the staff checking on their own computers and smartphones. We have had an interesting week and I know that my team and I have worked very hard to show how we truly care about our guests. This was beyond insuring a room was clean or breakfast being out on time. Your recognition is "golden" to us and is the driving force that helps us focus on tending to our guests needs. Clearly this has shown through and I am just delighted that you took the time to post this wonderful review. From our family to yours, stay well and God Bless!
Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed at the Wilshire Grand for a week after Hurricane Sandy. I can't say enough about Ed Reagoso and the whole staff. Ed went out of his way everyday to make sure everyone was fed and comfortable. I was there with my little maltese Jake and so thankful that we were safe. Even when the hotel was booked to capacity,Ed invited people to come into the lobby to get warm and have something to eat and drink. The Wilshire Grand is so lucky to have him. This was an experience I will never forget.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Patricia M,

You're so kind! Trust me (and I think we had this conversation!) this has been the most exhausting week of my life and happily, somehow, it's actually been the most rewarding week of my career! I have met and spoken with so many appreciative neighbors and guests that could have easily taken all their anxiety & frustrations out on my my staff and I. Our neighbors and friends in need during this terrible hurricane just brought the best out in everyone I came into contact with. From having guests call & cancel their rooms and tell us to charge them anyway and apply the credit to a local family's bill, vendors I deal with sending $50 worth of Starbucks Gift cards to give out to local families, and packages of non perishable goods coming from guests that canceled but they felt moved to help after seeing the results on television.

This has been quite an amazing week. One neither of us will ever forget. I do hope you & Jake will come by & see us sometime.....You are both missed already!

Ed Reagoso- General Manager

Reviewed November 3, 2012

During the hurricane, my friends and I had no where to go and stayed in this absolute GEM. The hotel Manager Ed gave us the best treatment any guest could ask for! I absolutely recommend this hotel to those far and wide. Even though we had no power, they made up for it in food and drinks. The hospitality was top notched! Do yourself a favor and stay here, or book your major event. I am a bar manager and know what taking care of guests is all about, and they met my criteria BY FAR! Thank you very much Ed, we will be back and send our friends any and every time we are in the area. See you in Asbury my friend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Justin W,

Thanks so much for posting your great review of our services. We wish you the best during this crisis period and hope that things for you return to normal very soon. I have a bottle of the Gianni Russo wine we discussed...I anticipate being at your restaurant next saturday assuming power has returned for you at that point. I look forward to seeing you and should you need us in the future you know you can count on my team.

Ed Reagoso

The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#2 of 5 in Morristown
Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!