“OUTSTANDING stay during Hurricane Sandy!!!!”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We live down at the jersey shore and were under a mandatory evacuation due to hurricane Sandy. I cannot believe the wonderful, outstanding, and personal service we received during our stay at the Wilshire Grand Hotel. We were fed three meals a day, including anything else we could have asked for around the clock, at no extra charge. The manager and hotel staff worked 24 hour shifts to make sure that everyone was safe and their needs were being met. When power was lost, the back up generators gave power to the main lobby, hallways and elevator. They provided a cell phone charging station, and much more during this time. The cleaning staff cleaned the guest rooms with flashlights, but everything was top notch! If you need ANYTHING, the manager Ed, is available to accommodate your need to the best of his ability.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Kdefin21,

Your wonderful comments are truly appreciated. As I sit here responding to this I would remiss if I did not commend my staff of whom many still have no power at home. They are working so hard to keep our best foot forward and it's truly a treasure for all of us to see reviews like this. It makes all the effort worthwhile. You and your family were a true delight. I expect I'll be seeing you down the shore and I wish you all the luck in the world while you're recovering from this true disaster. A surprise bit of good news for me to share with you is that thanks to donations from guests who canceled due to the hurricane and asked they be charged anyway to help pay for displaced guests have enabled me to apply a $200 credit to your credit card for your recent stay with your family in West Orange. This credit will appear on your statement within 72 hours. Many are paying it forward and we will continue the tradition as well!
True Blessings,

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at the Wilshire Grand on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 20 and 21, to attend a nearby wedding. The hotel is attractive, parking very convenient. Our room, #132, was at the end of a hallway and was very quiet. It was large and lovely with a comfortable king-size bed. It was spotlessly clean and the flat screen tv very nice. A pleasant surprise was how satisfying the complementary breakfast was. In addition to the expected bread stuffs, cold cereal, juice, and coffee, there was scrambled eggs and sausage one day (hash and boiled eggs the next), plus waffles, hot cereal, yogurt, and fruit. Our quibbles: we expected a friendly greeting at the reception desk. Instead we got a gentleman whose attitude could best be described as feeling put upon at having to deal with us. Fortunately, he turned us over to a young woman who was welcoming, friendly, and courteous. Both of their name tags were so small that it was impossible to read their names. If the hotel want guests to be able to identify employees (and for employees to know that they can be identified), the names on the name tags should be much larger. I was also surprised that during the weekend, when I encountered other employees in the hallways, none looked at me and said hello; all looked away as they walked by. This created a very impersonal atmosphere. Other minor things: our air conditioner fan was very loud, and when the lovely cut-up fruit ran out on Saturday, it was replaced with whole bananas, apples, and oranges - not nearly as nice as cut-up fruit - for the remainder of Saturday breakfast and at Sunday's. Bottom line: We would stay at the Wilshire Grand again and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Stay at the end of a hallway. Our son's family had a room on the 3rd floor by the elevator. They...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear BuxtonMaineTraveler,
Thank you so much for sharing your review with us. We have been rated #1 in West Orange with TripAdvisor guests since February 2008 and we're proud of it. I am very happy that you mentioned our fresh fruit, baked breads and expansive breakfast buffet as we do spend a lot of time planning these menus so repeat guests do not get bored with our menu. I note however your dismay with the desk staff member that seemed to be rushed. Be assured that this will be investigated and further training will be provided because clearly, neither of us were satisfied with this. I want to tell you that I listened to your comments about our name tags and I see the light! In spite of this never being mentioned before I stood in the lobby and watched my staff, I too had trouble reading the names so today I ordered new name tags, three times the size of the standard size nametags we're using now. They will be in within a week and I thank you for this tip!

Please do stop by and say hello on your next visit and I will show you my new name tag and will upgrade you to one of our beautiful suites for helping us improve!!!

Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Perfect spot! Great service, just know to Park behind hotel. The rooms are great and comfortably appointed. Great shower pressure. I enjoyed my stay and will return foro business or if I can for pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear BiotechCalifornia,

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. A review such as this, coming from someone who is a seasoned TripAdvisor traveler with 127 Reviews in 47 cities is truly appreciated. Clearly, you have spent much time traveling and working. I am so happy to know that we made your stay comfortable & enjoyable. I will be honored & delighted to meet you on your next trip for dinner if you will kindly do me the honor!

Much appreciated,

Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I write this from the perspective of a usually critical hotelier. From my initial contact/booking with Nelsy, Sales Manager, to the Front Desk Staff, it was a real pleasure working with them on our daughter's wedding weekend. All staff was not only attentive but friendly. All our needs and requests were taken care of and the property itself is lovely.
The guestrooms are warm, spacious, comfortable and decorated very nicely. Beverages and snacks provided in the lobby were inviting including the breakfast. The grounds were well kept and don't forget to enjoy your coffee in the rear patio. All in all, it was a huge success! Thanks to the staff!

Room Tip: You MUST go to Cuban Pete's! Great food, service and atmosphere! And byob!! Awesome time!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear lPearson1069,

I so appreciate the fact that this wonderful review came from an experienced and usually critical traveler like yourself. I am so happy that everyone had such a great time. Your friends and family
were terrific guests! Best wishes from myself, my partners & team and may Naomi & Julio have a wonderful, prosperous, and healthy Marriage!

Thank you!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I recently got married in Bloomfield, NJ this past September. This hotel was referred to me by my reception site coordinator to use for my guests. I couldn't have been happier with the rooms and their service. I spent 2 nights at the hotel in a bridal suite. My bridal party and I got our hair and makeup done at the suite and there was plenty of room to accommodate everyone! They were amazing in getting anything we needed from bar stools for the makeup artists to scissors to cut tags from our dresses. They had it all. My guests also loved all the amenities especially the hot breakfast! I would definitely recommend this hotel to any bride looking for a hotel for herself or guests. They offer a free shuttle with a block of rooms which was amazing. I looked at other hotels close by and felt that The Wilshire Grand Hotel was the best out of other area hotels!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Vanessa91214,

Thank you very much for posting your review on our favorite guest review site, TripAdvisor. We take an awful lot of pride in arranging for the personal care of our guests and specializing in these social events. I Thank you for detailing all of our services, perhaps even better than I may have! Your family & friends were a treat and we love the fact that we were so closely connected with you on such a historical event as your marriage!
Best wishes to you & Brian and may you have a lifetime of good health, prosperity, and happiness together.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with a gift certificate for one night. We have family members that raved about the place, so we were excited to stay here. Check in was no problem, but,when we got to our room, it was very warm, over 80 degrees, and every drawer in the room was open, the fridge open, etc... it was a weird welcome. What I did like was that the hotel tries to reduce their carbon footprint by using ecologically minded products. The bathroom products were a nice touch. There were two weddings going on, but it was not too noisy for the amount of people in the hotel. The one thing that was very annoying, but hopefully has been fixed is that the TV service was being worked on the entire time we were there,(at least that is what we were told was the reason our TV service was so poor) so we could not watch TV at all. At breakfast there was a staff member who was a little rude to us as well. There is no swimming pool, which we were kind of disappointed about. Upon checking out, I did inform the clerk of my concerns when she asked how our stay was. I waited a week or so to post this review, hoping that the manager might call, but did not. Overall, it is still a very good hotel in West Orange, reasonably priced and mostly friendly staff. We are locals and it is nice to have a successful, classy business in town, I am just really picky.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sondra P
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear SondraP,

I am afraid that I am actually more disappointed than you regarding your stay. Suffice it to say I owe you a free night in the future. I ask that you contact me directly to take advantage of this offer. You clearly did not get an inspected guestroom. I will investigate why, in the meantime I'd like to explain the reason for the open drawers & refrigerator: you see as part of our housekeeping process, our housekeepers leave the drawers, cabinet, & refrigerator doors open once cleaned. As the room is inspected to be "guest ready" the inspector insures the drawers etc. are clean and then shuts them. This insures we're truly inspecting every nook & cranny of space. This is an old north Jersey trick many are not aware of except for the folks I've worked with elsewhere.

I'm glad to see our eco-friendly amenities made you feel good about us. We feel good about our strides to reduce our carbon foot print as well and there's more to come!

Regarding our TV issues, in the last two weeks we have undergone the integration of state of the art High Def Software that was supposed to take three days to install. It took two solid weeks. I am so sorry. The good news is that we're now up & running. Featuring more than 55 Hi Def channels and another 25 analog that are not broadcast in HD and No Repeats. We also now have free on demand HI DEF TV as well as first run Pay Movies & Free HBO in HD. I'm happy to announce that we are in fact the first hotel in our market to offer the Lodgenet HD Envision Smart TV Service where one can check their email as well surf the net all done with the remote control OR by your very own smartphone. All this and no additional charge to our guest!

Sondra, please accept my apologies for not getting back to you and DO please call me to take advantage of my free night offer. As far as I'm concerned, we did miss the mark this time and we owe you one.

Most Sincerely,

Ed Reagoso - General Manager & Ownership Member

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last night with my parents in one of the hotel's 'suites...' a seperate room with a lovely queen bed and a pull out couch in the 'living' area for me...

not only was the mattress paper thin but the bed sheets hadn't been changed! There were a few long black pubic hairs under the top sheet (aparently the maid made the bed but couldn't be bothered to change the sheets).

The bathroom was a mess and the decor was cheap cheap cheap...do not stay here, you'll get more for your money, plus clean sheets @ Howard Johnson...

• Stayed: August 2012
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear afkm122480,

I personally apologize for your alleged experience with us. I am a bit miffed however since we have no record of this complaint at all, by anyone. It's a serious allegation that we don't take lightly but I've exhausted my research. I could not find any record of a name with any similarity to your initials and your review was a private mobil posting complicating my communication with you even further. Normally we would hear of such a serious complaint immediately. Clearly this is not the case with you. Please have either one of your parents contact me directly to discuss the matter and if justified I will gladly consider some type of compensation but at this time I don't know who, when, or even what room you might have stayed in.

Please feel free to contact me in regards to this issue,

Most appreciated,

The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!