“Clean Average Hotel”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was a very clean hotel. Although, nothing to write home about. The breakfast food was equivalent to a lower cost hotel chain. I requested a quite room and was given a room down the first hallway from the lobby. This room was not quite in my opinion. You could hear lobby noise, and when the staff arrived to prepare breakfast I heard doors slamming. The hotel staff at first was not receptive to my complaint. "nobody has ever said that before". I had to wait for the manager to decide if I could change rooms.

The manager was very nice and did say I could move and she would even move my stuff. At that point I could not move since I needed to leave to see my mom at the hospital. So, I stayed one more night in the room. The noise level was better (no slamming doors) although you could still hear lobby noise. The hotel was not very full. I am not sure on the weekends when they host events how quite this room would be.

I also need to comment to the room lighting. My hats off to the hotel for their environmental concern. Although, I have to say the room felt dark. I agree with a past reviewer that it was difficult to apply makeup.

Over all it was an OK stay for the price. The manager and most of the staff were nice, others seemed aloof. The room was very clean and I felt safe. The restaurant onsite was very good. In terms of their sundries store...the first night I bought a bottled water it cost $2 the next night it was $1. So, I can't comment on the good prices other guests reported.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear JBRaliegh,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. I apologize for any noise interruption you had during your stay and I can assure you this is not a common occurrence. I am delighted that you acknowledged our attention to cleanliness and that you are pleased overall, most importantly that you felt the we were a good value. I want you to know that we do in fact have a clear position on reducing our carbon foot print but believe it should never interfere with our guests service. Our CFL's are changed as soon as they begin to dim unlike incandescent bulbs that burn out. I will personally see that more time is spent training our staff to recognize when the CFL begins to dim and to change it immediately. I am very happy to tell you that we recently picked out a make up mirror for all of our rooms that will be installed on or about May 1st. We will also soon be introducing our rooms "just for the lady" that will be fitted with additional lighting, women's clothing hangers, make-up remover pads, loofas, and bottled water.

Please contact me personally on your next trip so we can show you that we are really worthy of your "above average" score.

At Your Service,
Ed Reagoso, General Manager

There are newer reviews for The Wilshire Grand Hotel

Reviewed January 12, 2012

The hotel staff was helpful, room was lovely, beds comfortable, location was convenient.

1  Thank WaterlooCanucks
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

Dear WaterlooCanucks,

Thank you for your kind comments. Our bedding "specially" chosen, is a Spring Air "Ultra-VIP" Pillow Top Bed designed specifically for upscale hotels. My staff & I appreciate you taking the time to memorialize your stay experience and the positive ranking you gave us. I would like to know how we can get to a "5" in your mind however and would really appreciate you contacting me personally and letting me know what you think. Feedback like yours has enabled The Wilshire Grand Hotel in West Orange, New Jersey to remain # 1 in our market with TripAdvisor guests since February of 2008.
Edward Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night in late December. The hotel was quiet and clean - nothing really to write home about but nothing really to complain about either. Staff was pleasant when we needed to check in early and to call a cab when we left. Breakfast and snacks were convenient. I did think the $200+ price tag a night was a bit high though.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Dear Katelle627,

Thank you kindly for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We take great pride in our cleanliness and believe it to be a major factor of our success. Thank you for memorializing this! Guests can always count on a convenient full buffet breakfast featuring hot & cold items as well as our own fresh baked pastries too. We've specifically chosen to offer our complimentary coffee & healthy flavored waters in our lobby 24 hours a day simply because many guests, "just like you" appear to truly appreciate it. Our sweet shoppe is offered 24 hours as well for our guests and I'm glad you found it convenient. Regarding the price you paid, I'm sorry you felt it to be a bit higher priced but without knowing when you stayed specifically, I can only presume you stayed on a busy evening when all of West Orange was busy -or- you did not check our "best rate available" which can be found on-line. The other way you can insure you're getting the best rate is to book through TripAdvisor. Please contact me directly on your return trip & I will personally see that you are "upgraded" to a suite and a complimentary bottle of champagne for your loyalty.
Edward Reagoso, General Manager & Ownership Member

Reviewed December 29, 2011

My wife and I spent one evening in early December, booking one of the suites. We were very disappointed. The room was dark, smelled of chlorine, towels we small and hard, lots of wasted space. The "tub" in the bedroom was quite odd. The bed was very uncomfortable.. mattress was very soft and not supportive. The shower stall was an insert and "moaned and groaned" whenever you moved. The breakfast food selection was not very appealing and even though it was included in the rate, we decided to pass on it. Paid way too much for the experience. Not likely to return.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael G
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2011

Dear MPGstam,

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry that we appear to have fallen short of meeting your expectations. Based on your comments, you have clearly experienced a stay unlike other guests. I wish that I had the opportunity to meet with you prior to your departure. I never want to see any guest leave unhappy, there's truly just no reason for it. I welcome all comments and am available at all times to all of our family and guests. Kindly contact me directly, I invite you to return complimentary so I may show you why we remain # 1 in West Orange with TripAdvisor Guests since February of 2008.
Edward Reagoso

Reviewed December 26, 2011

Just came back from hosting a family reunion at the WIlshire and I must say that this was one of the best experiences I have had with a hotel in a long time. Working with the hotel staff was a pleasure. I highly recommend this property for large group bookings. The rooms are spacious and clean. The beds are comfortable and the linens are cozy. We had 40+ rooms in the hotel and as you can imagine accommodating everyone can be quite challenging...thanks to Nelsy P she made this nearly impossible task seem easy. If you will be needing ball room space rest assured that you are in good hands. The super multi tasking Jackie will help you and go above and beyond to make sure that all your needs are met. The greatest thing about working with the Wilshire is the customer service oriented attitude. The GM of the hotel Ed makes himself available to his customers assuring that everything is running smoothly. The front desk takes "service with a smile" to a whole new level, fielding my guests numerous requests and making sure everyone had what they needed. Continental breakfast was great with a full menu including hot food. All in all I am sure that I am missing out some of the finer points of this great hotel however my final point is that I highly recommend this hotel and I welcome you to message me for more details on this recommendation. I look forward to our next stay at The Wilshire Grand Hotel

1  Thank Eli E
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2011

Dear Eli E,
Thanks so much for your kind comments. At The Wilshire Grand Hotel we take great pride in staying ranked "# 1 in market" by our TripAdvisor clientele! It's something my staff & I take very seriously and we will continue to. We've managed to remain # 1 since February 2008 and we're up against some well known brand name competitors. Your group was truly a pleasure to deal with and we hope to see many of you again very soon Eli!
Edward Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed December 7, 2011

I live nearby and needed a place for my sister and her husband and 1-yr old baby to stay. As I dropped them off, we walked into the lobby and after a quick, pleasant check-in, we were greeted with an array of delicious treats: from freshly popped popcorn to homemade oatmeal raisin cookies, chicken and dumpling soup to a variety of beverages - all FREE!! I thought that there was some special event going on in the hotel, but no - just good management that wants to please their guests. The lobby and the entire hotel was spotless. We went up to the room and I couldn't believe how beautifully decorated it was. I've paid much more money for a lot less, I will admit. It looked very high-end, and I was very pleasantly surprised, considering the special rate of $100/night! We had their "smallest" room - which wasn't very small at all, and had its own fridge and microwave. Their on-site restaurant had excellent service and was delicious as well. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone!

1  Thank wanderlust1111
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2011

Dear Wanderlust1111,
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your family's recent stay with us. Recognizing the fact that you are a Senior Reviewer with TripAdvisor makes the posting even sweeter! We have been ranked # 1 in West Orange since February of 2008. We have only been open six years so we're the newest in the market yet we have more reviews than any other hotel West Orange. The reason is "we live by a code of service" and we take every posting seriously and we diligently listen to our guests. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful comments and I hope to see you again soon!
Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed here while on our walk across the country, with the Great American Walkabout. It was an incredible place, and the customer service was the best we'd seen on the whole trip. The staff is incredibly friendly and courteous, they really made us feel like celebrities.

The hotel is much larger than it looks from the outside, the rooms are spacious, and the banquet halls expansive. Every thing about the place just screamed high class, stylish, and welcoming. The beds were exceptionally comfortable, and I had one of the best night's sleep I'd had there. Normally I don't wake up early, but I got so much quality rest, I was up before dark!

The rooms were immaculately clean, and the big flat screen tv and wifi made for a nice relaxing evening. It was raining while we were there, so we didn't check out the pool, and I didn't notice the fitness center. There was a business center with two computers and a color printer, which is a nice plus. The continental breakfast was above average, fruit, yogurt; but they had a waffle maker and fresh strawberries and whipped cream. In the evening, they had a guest reception, which some complimentary pupus and $1 beer and wine.
There is also a fine dining restaurant attached, though we did not eat there.

They are only about 20 miles or so from New York city, so this is really a great place to stay to get out of the city. New York prices are ridiculous and there services are usually terrible, this is an amazing hotel right outside the city in New Jersey that offers exceptional service and lodging for less than you would pay for a cheap hotel in NYC. Their website is www.thewilshiregrandhotel.com and their phone number is 973-731-7007.

If you stay with them, please let them know that the guys from "The Great American Walkabout" recommended you, Im sure they would be delighted to hear that!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank walkabout2011

Dear Walkabout2011,
We are delighted that we were able to take part in your Great American Walkabout with you and I thank you for posting your kind comments & memorable observations! The fact that you are a Senior Contributor with TripAdvisor with twenty six reviews under your belt tells me you know great hotel service. We continue to strive for perfection and I thank you for acknowledging our effort. This is why we remain # 1 in West Orange with our TripAdvisor clientele.
Ed Reagoso, general manager

Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!