“I guess the restaurant manager does not read the reviews”

McLoone's Boathouse
Ranked #11 of 99 Restaurants in West Orange
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Northfield Ave
Transit: NJ Transit 73
Description: Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. McLoone's Boathouse features seating for 240 inside, with an additional 80 to 100 outside (FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS ONLY),as well as semi-private dining area that is perfect to host your next party, corporate function or other special event. Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining. Thank you!
South Orange, New Jersey
“I guess the restaurant manager does not read the reviews”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I guess the restaurant manager does not read the reviews, if he/she did they would do something about the food and the service- it is generally mediocre. The salmon and onion soup are quite good but we do not recommend the steak, it arrived charred and dry. I was there once for lunch and the crab cakes tasted like they just came out of the fridge- cold inside. I can only imagine what Gordon Ramsay would say. The staff also seems poorly trained, not the caliber you might expect. We know a number of people who have have the same opinion. We have eaten here for lunch and dinner and tried the brunch once.

The ambiance and view are what bring us back so you might want to consider trying this place for drinks and appetizers before you spend $$$ for dinner. It is very irritating when a restaurant relies on its location instead of the quality of the food to keep guests coming back….

1 Thank Papillonette

Florida
“Great spot, friendly service, very good food.”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My wife and I were hesitant to have an early dinner at McLoone's due to some of the previous reviews that we read. Belay those reviews!! We had a wonderful experience today at the restaurant. We were greeted and seated immediately near the outside part of the facility water view. Dennis, our waiter, went out of his way to get our drink and food order prepared properly, and they were!!....we had the edaname and chicken wing appetizers which were superb and very plentiful. We then shared a ham and brie panini with fries, very very plentiful and delicious.
We also recommend the cocktails, prepared perfectly.

Kudos to our waiter Dennis who made our visit memorable.

Bedminster, New Jersey
“Gorgeous Views, OK Food”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Essex County has really utilized this space well, adding a gorgeous restaurant - McLoone's Boathouse and a miniature golf to add to the county's zoo and skating rink located next door. I'd heard mixed reviews on this restaurant and we had a chance to eat here with friends. The views are spectacular and the restaurant is truly a gorgeous structure. It seems like a nice place for gatherings and parties.

They must've been overstaffed when we ate here, because our waiter seemed really out of sorts. I don't think he was actually a waiter. We had to ask for our drinks and meals several times and he kept forgetting little things, like water, cutlery, the specials, etc. This did not make a good impression on any of us, including our friends who had been here before.

The food is good - but nothing extraordinary. I felt the entree items were a bit overpriced, although the appetizer selection was really nice & priced well.

My mac & cheese was just so-so - I've had better. My soup came after the entree - which I sent back. Others in our party had the oysters on the half-shell, which were very small in size, calamari salad, which was only ok, french onion soup which wasn't good, spinach dip appetizer with little toasts which was quite pleasing although tasted very much like a Trader Joe's appetizer you can make at home, the ahi tuna on crisps was fantastic as was the crispy chicken wontons! The steak special was tasty although presented in a poor fashion (mashed potatoes on top of the steak looked like a rubber chicken cutlet) and the crab cakes were mediocre. Nice wine list as well as cocktail list.

I'd return here, but only for appetizers.

1 Thank YayeMama
West Orange
“A wonderful place to enjoy great atmosphere and good food and drink”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Enjoyed a beautiful happy hour by the water. A pretty setting, but also a most enjoyable time as the food was well prepared. We took advantage of the happy hour specials -- wine, drinks and appy specials. The ribs were delicious and the edamame were made with salt and lime! Fabulous !!!

Chicago
“McLoone's”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Large space, great location on the edge of a reservoir where new family-friendly facilities are being installed.
Fairly standard steak; chicken; fish menu with seasonal lobster menu for the "special"
Food was good but not exceptional.
Service was average with moderately lengthy waits.
Crayons for the kids.
Reasonable wine list.
Noisy because there were many kids below age ten.

Visited July 2014