“I expected much better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of McLoone's Boathouse

McLoone's Boathouse
Reserve with OpenTable
McLoone's Boathouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 96 Restaurants in West Orange
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Northfield Ave
Transit: NJ Transit 73
Description: Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. McLoone's Boathouse features seating for 240 inside, with an additional 80 to 100 outside (FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS ONLY),as well as semi-private dining area that is perfect to host your next party, corporate function or other special event. Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining. Thank you!
“I expected much better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I went here on a late Saturday night and there was no wait for a table actually the place was pretty much empty. The service was lacking enthusiasm. Our waiter didn't bring bread to the table until we asked. My friends dinner was warm instead of hot. He ordered a steak. He said the steak was fair. I dined on the apple walnut salad, which was good. It reminded me of summer it had plenty of fruit. The menu doesn't offer much. Overall I was expecting more, that special something that would make me want to come back. I didn't experience that!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Keynah

Livingston, New Jersey
“This is the best use of a former dirt parking lot that I've ever seen.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has its ups and downs. If you're looking for a great place to have a cocktail outdoors on a warm afternoon sitting with friends around the fireplace and a really awesome and comfortable outside bar, then you found your spot. As far as the restaurant inside, it's okay. Have had some food here that I thought was really good, and some food that was just average. And I could say the same about the service. On the upside, in the one experience where I did have absolutely terrible service, because of some mishap in the kitchen, they made up for it with free dessert. And to their credit, I didn't even have to complain. They knew they messed up and made up for it on their own. By no means is it my regular place, but it's worth a try. Just be sure to order the Buffalo chicken wontons. They're amazing!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank jsea13
Miami, Florida
“Great service and special ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Being a lifelong Jersey boy, I had always associated this location with a water reservation and forest. I was shocked to see it converted to a dining and water sport center. However, if you're going to mess with tradition, then you'd better do it well and that's exactly what they've done. The building, ambiance, and service are all so wonderful, you could order a glass of water and still feel special. The food was the only thing which didn't quite match up to everything else but in the end, this dining experience made me feel so special that I would come back again just for the outstanding service and great ambiance.

Visited November 2013
New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,621 helpful votes
“Excellent service, but not so much the food...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

This enormous barn-like structure comprising multiple dining rooms has lots of free parking at their front door. Our party of 6, including 2 young children, went to the Sunday buffet brunch today, which had been highly recommended. We were promptly seated near the buffet, but I noticed that lots of people were seated in a more remote dining room and had a long hike to the buffet, so ask to be seated near the buffet. The best and most elegant thing on the buffet was the raw bar with unlimited shrimp, clams and oysters. The "hot" items were barely warm. There was not all that much variety. The line for waffles was at least a dozen people long, even though the restaurant was only about half full. The service was very good, but at a buffet there's relatively little serving necessary. I don't think we'll be going back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Roseland, New Jersey
“Very Good and Getting Better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

Another place that got off to a rough start, but with a new chef & some management changes things are looking up. This place is gorgeous and I've now been there for a brunch, dinner, and dinner at the bar several times in the last 4-5 months. The food was always wonderful! I ADORE the tuna pizza which is a cold sashimi pizza appetizer that is just wonderful - I have to have it every single visit. I can honestly say I have not had a bad meal there in the last 3 months and the service has been friendly and prompt. With the over abundance of Italian places in this area it's so great to have an American eclectic restaurant to choose from!

• Visited November 2013