“Very Disappointed”

McLoone's Boathouse
Reserve with OpenTable
McLoone's Boathouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 98 Restaurants in West Orange
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Northfield Ave
Transit: NJ Transit 73
Description: Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. McLoone's Boathouse features seating for 240 inside, with an additional 80 to 100 outside (FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS ONLY),as well as semi-private dining area that is perfect to host your next party, corporate function or other special event. Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining. Thank you!
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Just returned from McLoone's Boathouse in West Orange and was disappointed again. I won't waste time on our first experience, but we decided to give them another try. This time to celebrate our son's 21st birthday. We made a reservation for 7:30pm and arrived about 7:35pm. The hostess apologized that they were running a bit late as she handed us a pager and directed us to the bar. We are used to this game, but had no idea it would take 20 minutes to get a drink, and another 20 minutes just to pay the tab. Our pager alerted us that our table was ready at about 8:10pm. Once seated we were told that the Monday special of Lobster was sold out. Our appetizers were served without utensils or napkins, both of which we had to get ourselves. With Manhattan prices, good service and good food is expected. The food was good (although the portions were ridiculously small for $34.95), and the service was horrible. It was so bad that the manager came around apologizing before I could seek him out. His excuse was that they had far more patrons than expected for a Monday night......

I told him I was glad he came by because I was going to seek him out. Again he apologized and said he would be providing us with some gift certificates. We ate the rest of our meal and then the bill came...I mentioned the gift certificates to our waitress and she said, "Oh, he didn't bring them to you?" Another manager came to the table where just my son and I remained. She too apologized and presented both of us with $20 gift certificates for our inconvenience. I listened to the excuses and then replied that four of us dined this evening, and all four were disappointed. She then gave me two more certificates. It wasn't until we got home that we saw the fine print on the back of each certificate read "With $40 minimum food purchase. 1 card per table & cannot be combined with any other offer. Not valid on holidays. Expires 12/30/13. Not much chance we'll be back again to use those certificates...

Montclair, New Jersey
“Great view, but at the cost of tasty food and service.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Mcloone's Boathouse is beautiful - big, charming, and situated on a lake with great views. This is an excellent place to go - as long as you don't plan on having delicious food. Although the scenery is gorgeous, the food at McLoone's is average at best. It features a breakfast and bunch buffet with lots of choices, all of which are over cooked, dried out, and tasteless. The waitstaff was friendly, but you have to seek them out to get things like coffee, spoons, and creamer. While the lake view is to die for, the food is boring and tastes like it came out of a bad Ihop.

New Jersey
“Great place for relaxing lunch”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Wanted a special place for a relaxing lunch. Beautiful restaurant with very nice outdoor seating. Service good (but restaurant was not crowded and we wanted it slow) and food was very good and large portions. Prices were a little high but not terrible. I would recommend for lunch.

new jersey
“Mixed review”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We have been to the boathouse about ten times now. The employees are very, very nice, just not always very efficient. The outdoor area at night is fun and funky. The food is a mixed bag of good and bad. The raw bar is excellent, appetizers sublime, but almost never happy with the entrees. We will probably continue to go here, just going to stick with appetizers as meals. It is a bit on the expensive side, but not outrageous. On a Saturday night there seem to be a lot of big groups and the kitchen has a hard time handling that. Last time we went on a Saturday it was very crowded with large groups and we waited about 30 minutes after we finished our apps for our main course. The Sunday brunch is fun, who else offers unlimited mimosas? And all you can eat raw oysters. Though it is not set up well, really hard to get to the food when it is crowded. We gave up on omelette s as the line was too long and there was no room to really wait on the line anyway.

NJ
“A Lovely Spring Afternoon”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent an afternoon at lunch with my 2 nieces. We were seated outside on the patio overlooking the reservoir. My niece commented that she felt like she was on vacation! We had the edamame, with sea salt and lime. I love edamame!! My niece had the crabby patty, which was quite good and my other niece had the veggie sandwich, which I didn't actually taste. I had the shrimp po'boy, which I really enjoyed. It's not inexpensive, but the atmosphere makes the cost worth it. We went over to the Turtle Back Zoo after lunch, which is really becoming a great destination! They have the Sea Lion exhibit open now and just love to watch those wonderful creatures!!