“beyond disappointing”

McLoone's Boathouse
Reserve with OpenTable
McLoone's Boathouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 98 Restaurants in West Orange
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Northfield Ave
Transit: NJ Transit 73
Description: Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. McLoone's Boathouse features seating for 240 inside, with an additional 80 to 100 outside (FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS ONLY),as well as semi-private dining area that is perfect to host your next party, corporate function or other special event. Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining. Thank you!
Cranford, New Jersey, United States
“beyond disappointing”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Having gone to Mcloone's in Long Branch we were really excited to try the West Orange location. Since our experience in Long Branch was nothing short of spectacular I didn't even bother to read through any reviews on Mc Loone's West Orange.. I should have.

We were immediately struck by the cafeteria atmosphere from the outset but were not about to pass judgment at that point.

The food was beyond beyond beyond disappointing. My husband ordered clam chowder which was served luke warm. I ordered this tuna tartare type dish which came out looking like chunks of desgustingness on a plate aside a small heap of wilted lettuce. I will be honest with you before I even tasted the food I knew by the heap of wilted dead lettuce that this was just not going to be good. The presentation was as if nobody even cared. Seriously, who throws dead lettuce on a plate as a garnish???!!!

My salad came out and the chicken was dead and dry. The lettuce was so jam packed in the bowl that I could not even maneuver the salad. I imagined someone taking their hand and jam packing all that lettuce in there. I have never seen anything like it! Let loose it probably would have served 10 people. My husband had the crab cake sandwich and he said the crab cake was good but the fries were ice cold. To top off the horrible food, the prices are ridiculously steep for below grade food served in a cafeteria.

This place reminded us of a very bad applebee's off the beat and path. I would not even put this on the level of a tgi fridays. Sadly,I am pretty sure this place will be out of business soon because nobody will ever go back..

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank intrblagn

Pine Brook, New Jersey
“Just okay”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently redeemed a Groupon for McLoone's at the Boathouse in West Orange. It was my second time here and I'd deem it as a step above a chain restaurant but not worth the prices. The service was very rushed. The drinks were very strong (which was a good thing!), but in general the food was just okay. We did love the toolhouse pie though! Just too pricey for what it is.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Weloveziti
Oceanport, New Jersey
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Since we live at the jersey Shore, we are very familiar with McLoone's and have always enjoyed our meals in the various locations. Having the occasion to be in North Jersey today, we decided to visit the new location in the South Mountain Reservation. The setting is perfect, the atmosphere of the restaurant is inviting BUT, there are definite problems in the kitchen. We had a wonderful waitress, Carla but it toiok forever (35 mins) to get our entrees after we finished our appetizers. This was especially notable since the restaurant was not that crowded at all and all of oursurroundung tables seemed to have experienced the same problem. After finally being served, my Reuben was totally unacceptable - in fact, it tasted more like ham than roast beef. Fortunately, my husband enjoyed his steak sandwich.. This restaurant kitchen is far from par of any McLoone's locations. Very disappointing.

• Visited January 2013
Denville, New Jersey
“Friend reunion”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My mother-in-law recently moved to live with her son in a town about 20 miles away from her home of 50 years. As a treat I arranged to pick up her best friend and took them for lunch here. They loved the photos and the view and the staff allowed us to visit and eat at a leisurely place. Both 90 year olds really enjoyed themselves and especially loved the yummy desserts.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Carol M
West Orange, New Jersey
“Nice enough”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have been to McLoone's Boathouse twice. For the area located, definitely on the upscale side. It is an impressive building with a lot of character - must have been very expensive to build.

On our last visit, we made reservations via Open Table. It was an early dinner reservation and the restaurant wasn't crowded at all. The hostess (not friendly or welcoming), wanted to seat us at a table in busy walkway area, although there were many tables in the main dining room. We requested a different table.

The menu is extensive and the food is fine (I had a large steak) They also have a large bar and decent beer selection. Dinner for two was in the $100 range, so for us it's more of a special destination place.

McLoone's is big and cavernous - can be noisy. They appear to do quite a few group events and it also seems to attract after-work crowds.

It is worth a visit - big bar, extensive menu, music, good setting, interesting building.

• Visited November 2012