“Birthday brunch was a great success!”

McLoone's Boathouse
Ranked #10 of 99 Restaurants in West Orange
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Northfield Ave
Transit: NJ Transit 73
Description: Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. McLoone's Boathouse features seating for 240 inside, with an additional 80 to 100 outside (FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS ONLY),as well as semi-private dining area that is perfect to host your next party, corporate function or other special event. Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining. Thank you!
“Birthday brunch was a great success!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We took my mom here to celebrate her birthday in September. She enjoyed the food, atmosphere, and staff. After enjoying a plentiful buffet and tasty mamosas we walked outside and took time to enjoy the beautiful lake view.

It's been over a week and my mom is still raving about her experience. We were a party of nine. I would definitely suggest you call weeks in advance for reservations. This restaurant gets really busy.

1 Thank Netstraveling

NORTHERN NEW JERSEY
“3 visit- did not like what I had”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Had a late lunch here the other day- Ordered the Prosciutto Panini ($14) Not sure it was Prosciutto and if so was a very poor quality kind= Also it was not sliced thin- The other folks in our party said what they ordered was OK. The service is very good.

1 Thank JerryDEBO
West Orange, New Jersey
“Lovely outside dining”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Spent Friday evening here to begin the Labor Day weekend wind down. Started people watching at the bar - very friendly service. Moved outside to the "boardwalk" and watched the moon come up over the reservation. The food is okay. I happen to really enjoy their Patty Melt burger on sourdough bread w/sauteed onions, mushrooms and cheese and the sweet potato fries are outstanding. Have been coming here since they opened and food is improving. Salads have definitely upgraded.

• Visited August 2012
Hanover, New Hampshire
“"Boathouse" on a reservoir”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was taken to McLoone's over the Labor Day weekend for an early Saturday dinner (5 PM or so). I was told beforehand that their steak was "the best." Meh! It was good, but nothing to write home about...

The three of us were seated in the dining room to the right of the main doors as you come in. The woman who lives in W. Orange, NJ said the room to the left was the nicer room, but the hostess explained that a number of large parties were about to be seated in that room, so we were going to be given a table on the other side. We were seated at a table with an okay view of the outdoor patio area and the reservoir. Unfortunately, the table was fairly close to the door that opens on to the patio, so we kept having to shoo flies and gnats away from our food. As the room filled up with patrons, the noise level got very high.

We had cocktails to begin, which were fairly potent. I ordered the Prince Edward Island Mussels as an appetizer and another guest order the lobster-stuffed portabello mushroom. I shared a few mussels with the lady who lives in West Orange, and she said "Those aren't PEI mussels." I didn't know. They were good.

All three of us ordered the New Yorker steak, medium rare, and all were satisfied with its quality and doneness. It came with fresh green beans, garlic mashed potatoes and french-fried onions on top. The green beans were very nicely done, the potatoes were a little paste-y, and I didn't eat the fried onions. We had a nice bottle of Sonoma Pinot Noir with our main course.

Only one of us ordered dessert and that was the creme brulee. It came to the table "refrigerator cold." She asked to have it zapped slightly, and it came back to the table soupy. It was also a very small portion. Not a good experience.

I did not pay the bill, but the prices seemed quite high. I would not go out of my way to eat at McLoone's Boathouse again.

2 Thank Brian M
Caldwell, New Jersey
“Little disappointed”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have to say the restaurant is beautiful and the location on the water is breathtaking! The food was nothing special but fine salad and burgers the more expensive meals barely have any food on the plates. When I made the reservation THEY asked if it was a special occasion I replied yes my sons birthday, I would love to know why they asked that question when nothing was said nor done! POOR POOR POOR!

1 Thank Duffy7459