“Service was horrible, staff was incompetent.”

Residence Inn West Orange
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
San Francisco, California
“Service was horrible, staff was incompetent.”
Reviewed January 8, 2009

I made a reservation at the Residence Inn to stay the night for my honeymoon night. When the staff showed me the wedding suite the one bedroom and studio, I have to say that it did not look like a bad deal. The place was decent and it would do for one night. However, when I talked to the front desk about my reservation the seedy part of the Residence Inn emerged. First, I was greeted by a man who kept telling me that he could make everything happen on my honeymoon night. After seeing a few customers pass him tips I figured this was the guy's game to score some cash tips while he stroked you at the door. His name is Christopher Fisher. Turns out, all of the guys promises were bogus. I asked for the wedding suite and he tells me it's not available on 12/29/2008. Then he says, "give me a call on the day before and I'll probably be able to squeeze you in." Squeeze me in? The room is already taken? How am I going to get squeezed in? Needless to say, eventhough I was willing to pay the rediculous rate of $299.00 for a one night stay, the room was not available on the day of my stay when I called him back. I decided to go for the one bedroom for $119.00 for the night. Which is basically the wedding suite without the jacuzzi. I was told at first that the rate for this room was $179.00 then Mr. Fisher magically discovered the room rate went down to $119.00. I booked it. Mr. Fisher promised me a bottle of champagne in the room for my inconvenience. Something I was willing to pay for and would have been complimentary with the wedding suite. Well guess what, on the morning of 12/29/2008 I reserve the room and get the same promise of champagne. In the evening when I arrive with my bride for my honeymoon stay there was no champagne in the room. That's okay, I think, I'll just walk downstairs and ask for a bottle. At the front desk they tell me that they do not have access to champagne at night. Then they give me a choice of some cheap $12.00 wine they had lying around in the lobby. I took a sorry bottle of Mondavi white wine to the room. I was not happy, but I let it go, because it is my wedding night afterall. However, anticipating that the hotel staff would not remember that I had requested a late check out at 2:00pm the next day I called down to the desk at about 10:00am to tell the staff of my request for a late check out on 12/30/2008. Guess what happened at exactly 12:00pm on that same day? Someone calls from the front desk to inform me of the check out time of 12:00pm. I inform them that not two hours ago I called to tell them of my late check out request on 12/29/2008. Finally, I pack up my stuff and go down to the front desk, I tell them about my disappointment and their response is oh, I'm sorry well at least you have a beautiful bride. I would advise against visiting this place if you want a decent stay on your honeymoon night.

• Liked — The room cleanliness.
  • Disliked — The incompetence of the reservation staff.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Minibar1975

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Hudson Valley
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I stayed here for 9 days over 2 weeks, staying in 2 different rooms.

I've stayed in maybe 5 other Residence Inns over the past year plus. While I have found them all comfortable and clean, though some dated, this one is more like a luxury extended stay place.

The rooms were finished in a much higher grade than other RIs. The whole atmosphere was more upscale. That being said, the rpice is higher, though for a NYC Metro area place, not that much out of the ballpark.

Both rooms featured very comfortable beds and the usual kitchen setup, but again, even the dishes, pots, utensils etc. were a bit fancier. The bathrooms were well done and reasonably roomy. Bothe had the vanity outside the actual room with the toilet & shower.

The breakfasts were the usual good RI fare of hot & cold buffets... but a bit fancier presentation.

I think most anyone would find this a nice place to stay for almost any length of time

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank HudsonValleyGuy
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 12, 2008

We stayed there for one night during the week. We had a one bedroom suite for around $200 including taxes. It was a small condo setup with a full kitchen, small living room, small bedroom with comfortable king bed and nice size bathroom and good shower in tub. The room was nicely furnished, very clean as was the entire hotel. It was like a home away from home. They have a free breakfast buffet which was very convenient and had enough selection including, but not limited to fresh cut up melons and pineapple, various breads, eggs, sausage, waffles, etc. I will definitely book a Residence Inn again. It was a very good value. The staff was very helpful as needed.

• Liked — the room setup and comfort, comfortable bed, good shower
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Kabear
NJ
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Will definitely stay here next time instead of the Wilshire Grand!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed June 27, 2008

Hotel is very nice, great location, clean, free dinner and breakfast. Full kitchen. Grounds are well maintained. Leaving today, stayed 3 nights. Glad I did not go to the Marriott as normal but gave this a try.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Florence, Italy
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I am a reluctant Marriott traveller as I have had my share of... less than stellar... Marriott properties. So when I booked the Residence Inn in West Orange, I admit that I had low expectations.

Those expectations were not only met, but this property sets the standard for what I think not only a Marriott property should be, but all business hotels in general! This is a GREAT hotel!

I read the other reviews and I cannot possibly see how they were staying in this property... The property has - to put it mildly - curb appeal. The front desk was FANTASTIC. They checked me in, asked if there was anything they could do to accomodate me during my stay, told me about the nightly dinners... gave me a printout of my elite status - indicated that they were very aware that I was a Marriott elite...something my "home" chain doesn't do very often.... and then gave me some recommendations on where to eat (checked in on a Sunday)....

These people are good....

Walked through the property and heard the floors squeaking just like it was an older place - great ambiance, not annoying at all. The front desk guy did tell me that the property was only 6 years old... so... don't know where the squeaking comes from, but it is cool....

The room was very nice, VERY clean... my only complaint is that the internet, while free, is wired only.

See photos for a look at my room...

I know all of this sounds too good to be true... but yet, I am here to say it is true... this is one great hotel - and those words do not come easily from me.

• Liked — Pretty Much Everything
  • Disliked — Wired Internet Access
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank bisbohemian
Vermont
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Booked this hotel because it was close to friends, looked appealing on website, and was within driving distance of NYC. Arrived to a very large 2 BR suite w/ kitchen, etc. Furniture was dated, and needed a proper cleaning (grimy dust and stained upholstery). Empty water bottles and trash under beds. Bathrooms were standard, with extremely slow (yuck) drains in one shower and one sink. It was nice that windows opened, but the one in LR popped out of it's track upon closing, and the one in our kids bedroom fell right out of it's frame and landed on the floor. Pool was not open upon arrival as a child had a stomach upset, and they needed to clean things up, which they did promptly and thoroughly. Pool was small, but very nice. Handyman came and checked windows, but manager responded only after I contacted Marriott directly. Nothing appealing in immediate area of hotel. Breakfast was in a dark, cavernous space; stale bread. All in all, we found another hotel right in NYC that was tiny, but extremely well kept and very comfortable. The West Orange Residence Inn was a huge disappointment for a Marriott, and our stay was very uncomfortable.

• Liked — Proximity to friends
  • Disliked — Maintenance Issues
  • Stayed April 2008
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford

Been to Residence Inn West Orange? Share your experiences!