“Disappointed In The Dog Smell”

Residence Inn West Orange
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
Wilmington, Delaware
“Disappointed In The Dog Smell”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I visited the Residence Inn after enjoying a spectacular evening at The Manor. I was so disappointed that my room (217) had dog smell in it. It was late (@1;30am) when we checked in, so at that point I was to exhausted to change my room, as though I was woke from 0330 on because of the smell and the uncomfortable mattress. I had no idea this hotel accepted animals in the rooms. I did see someone walking their boxer in the morning and I was not loving that. I have no objection to vacationers that like to bring their pets along, however for me, I do not want to smell animal smells when I am vacationing. The rooms were well set up with great amenities inside the room. The hotel had an very lovely older quaint feel to it. The bed was not the most comfortable mattress for a Marriott. I usually love this brand of hotel as I am a Marriott rewards holder. This was very disappointing and I see no reason to visit this particular Marriott again.

Room Tip: If you are not animal lovers or allergic make sure you ask for a room that they do not allow animals...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMWestOrangeRIBM, General Manager at Residence Inn West Orange, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding our hotel. Several years back Marriott made it a brand standard that all Residence Inn by Marriott's accept pets (unless the local laws forbid it). Due to our properties being designed for the extended stay traveler, the company felt being pet friendly was the way to go. Therefore 99.5% of Residence Inn's accept pets. I am sorry you were not aware of this. There is a sign on our Front Desk as well just in case a guest might not be familiar with the policy.

Regards, Cathy Hart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I've stayed there before, but not for several years. I always go out of my way to try & stay there, if it is available. Since I work for Marriott, I stay at a lot of Residence Inns & this one is BY FAR, a step above the others for all of the little things they have that makes them different. The fact that they have a bar, a Billiards room, the architecture itself, the paintings hanging in the hallways; then service has always been efficient there-- from Reynaldo who checked me in late-night to the quick, efficient, friendly goodbye at check out, when I had to leave earlier than planned. Beds are SO comfortable; I only wish I could have stayed LONGER!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding our hotel. We are delighted we are your "go to" hotel when in West Orange! We hope to see you again soon.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Definitely a step away from the normal Marriott properties. I stayed here for about 6 weeks in January and February and was very pleased with the overall experience. The rooms were nicely appointed, the common areas welcoming and above all else, the staff was 5 star at every level. The front desk personnel were quick to remember you, wish you a nice day and a warm welcome home. The engineering and housekeeping staff was without par in this market. The laundry room can actually be used by more than one person at a time! The hotel is across the street from a park with a variety of recreational opportunities. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: 3rd floor, golf course side have the best views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you being an extended stay customer of ours. I certainly wish we had better weather while you were here. I will be happy to share your nice comments with the rest of our staff. We really strive to make our guests feel at home-especially when they are with us as long as you were. I'm glad we achieved our goal with you!

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I travel to the area weekly, and this hotel is step up from other 'suite' type hotels that I have stayed in elsewhere. Wonderful and welcoming staff, clean well-appointed rooms, comfortable common areas and good amenities such as a fitness room. The staff go out of their way to make sure you are happy and taken care of. A pleasure to stay here.

1 Thank Ebelle97
Thank you so much for your great comments and your loyalty to our hotel. We are honored to be your preferred hotel in West Orange.

Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I travel to this area often for business. I've tried several hotels, but once I found this one I'm hooked. I love the consistent friendly service, spacious rooms, and the exercise room. I especially like the breakfasts, and the mid-week light dinners -- just right for me.
I once visited when there was a power outage in the community, and they bent over backwards to keep us comfortable, even making coffee from bottled water, always keeping a good sense of humor.
It also doesn't hurt that my Marriott points keep building every time I visit. :-)

Room Tip: I've stayed in many, and they're all fine.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel. I am terribly sorry we had a power outage while you were here last time. We have definiltey had an eventful winter this year. We hope to see you again soon.

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is one great hotel! The room was clean, spacious, and above all very quiet, and all the amenities are first class. We especially appreciated the easy to understand thermostat - a detail not to be overlooked since many hotels have thermostats that seem to be designed by nincompoops. The front desk staff is attentive and courteous. The breakfast was excellent, with lots of choices, and the atmosphere made us feel like we were millionaires. Nice grounds too. If we're ever in the area again we will definitely stay there.

Room Tip: I always ask for a quiet room, regardless of the hotel. However, I think in this case the hotel is...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk

Been to Residence Inn West Orange? Share your experiences!