“The property is very pretty, but thats about it”

Residence Inn West Orange
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The property is very pretty, but I will never go back.

The good points

The hotel is very pretty and is next door to a country club and the Manor.

The kitchen staff was very friendly.

The pool was clean.

My room was clean when I arrived.

The bad points

They need better soundproofing in the rooms. If you were in the kitchen or living area you could hear everything going on in the hallway.

Like all Residence Inn's they offer breakfast every morning, but it isn't all that wonderful, although they do have real plates and metal spoons and forks.

They only give you dinner Mon-Wed most Residence Inn's give you dinner on Thursday night as well.

They don't have a shuttle bus. Most Residence Inn's and hotels have shuttles.

They have a bar on site. With a bar on site there were frequently people drinking in the common area including at meal times.

They don't have a large outdoor area. No place to get any outdoor exercise or for children to play. They have a small gym on site.

They have a fake playroom for children off of the laundry room. It was smaller than my closet at home.

Things specific to me.

I stayed in a room right by the bar and across from the meeting rooms. Most of the time it wasn't a problem, but on several occasions it was a problem. I had to deal with the loud noises coming from the meetings/parties in the meeting rooms. I had to deal with people who knocked on my door instead of the meeting room door. I had to deal with the people hanging out in front of my door talking loudly. They were sold out and couldn't move me for two nights as they were sold out. I declined and I searched for a new hotel.

I had a do not disturb sign on my door that was ignored. Maintenance staff came into my room and made a small repair, even though I had a sign on my door that stated that I didn't want to be disturbed.

I was double billed for one night. After 3 phone calls and a week later the issue still isn't fully resolved. I have spent more than 4 hours trying to fix the problem that they created and I still don't have a straight bill or things corrected with Marriott Rewards!

If you do stay there my suggestion is to not stay on the first floor near the meeting rooms or bar. For more than 200 a night for a 2 bedroom suite I expected and deserved a lot more.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor near the meeting rooms/bar unless you like to go to the bar or are...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank travelgirl05667

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We were lucky to find a room at this hotel during the stretch of time that our electricity was out following Hurricane Sandy. The hotel was completely booked, but all services were provided. The complimentary breakfast did seem a bit crowded, but there were plenty of seats available in a room opposite the breakfast area. It is a very old-fashioned building on the outside, but the inside is expansive and feels like a golf course club house. The indoor pool is clean and doesn't smell too much of chlorine. Hotel staff was incredibly friendly. I wish I got his name, but a staff member insisted on opening the doors for me on every floor of the stairwell I was climbing because my hands were so full of items taken from my house and brought to the hotel. Keep in mind that this is a pet-friendly property. You could hear dogs bark and see them all over the hallways, lobby, and parking lot. The front desk staff was very polite when asked to please contact a nearby room about a loud dog. The hotel is great for babies because they provided a pack-and-play crib, sheet, and blanket at no extra charge. Laundry services were available to do on your own or have it done for you. Dinner is complimentary three days per week, but we missed it due to timing. There is a nice bar on the lower level, and I saw many people sitting there and chatting with the bartender. There is plenty of parking. A Whole Foods and a K-Mart are located a short walk away, as well as other stores. A movie theater and a Macy's are a short drive down the road. Several restaurants are nearby.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the interior courtyard and there might be less noise from the parking lot, although...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank StickerShock
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Let's face it. Most RI properties follow a standard cookie-cutter layout. Not so with this location. And what a pleasant surprise. Everything about this location, from the lobby to the "Hearth Room" and rooms, takes it head and shoulders above the rest. I was very pleasantly surprised and would stay here again if I my travels take be back.

Very conveniently located in between West Orange and Montclair. Plenty of shopping and restaurant opportunities to be found nearby.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We needed a place to stay because we had no power due to Sandy and Holly, the sales manager, welcomed us with open arms and great smile. It was extremely hard to get rooms anywhere in the state but Holky came through and got us a room for 4 days. Just enough until our power came back. Room was great and an amazing breakfast was included. They also allow pets so we were able to bring our dog. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Greggmroth
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I travel. A lot. And I've stayed at many a Residence Inn. This one truly takes the cake!

Most hotels of this brand are pretty standard. You know you'll get a living area, a kitchen, a free breakfast.

But this one goes above and beyond. It's in a beautiful, old (in an antique way) building that actually has more of an upscale feel to is. The rooms are larger than most peer hotels, and the kitchen had an actual OVEN, but just a stovetop. The workout room has more variety than most and actually overlooks the pool. And the pool is higher quality than your standard Residence Inn.

But where this place really excels is in the details. An exceptionally helpful and warm front desk staff. An evening happy hour that's a REAL dinner, not the usual chef boyardee quality (BBQ night consisted of pulled pork on toasted buns, corn on the cob, a caprese salad, and real cheesecake dessert. Shazam.). A TRAY to bring down to breakfast and dinner so that you don't have to do the usual balancing act trying to carry your food back to your room. And REAL goblet wine glasses, not those muddled hotel versions. You can tell where my priorities are.

A final word on location. When I think of the Oranges in NJ, I think of what I typically pass on the Garden State Parkway - needless to say I was skeptical. The area, however, is very nice. There's a movie theatre, a panera, a Macy's, and a wholefoods just down the road. The hotel itself is bordered by a gorgeous old manor on one side, and a golf course on the other. Everything a business traveler could want.

My ONLY complaint? The rooms are kind of dark, they don't have enough lighting. Compared with the myriad of pros? I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here for an extended time during the illness and subsequent death of a family member. It was very comforting, during this difficult time, to return to a place that felt like "home". The staff couldn't have been more caring, the breakfasts were the best we've ever had at a hotel which offers a complimentary breakfast. Other family joined us later in our stay and were given an upgrade and treated royally, even though their flight delay made their arrival at the hotel after 1 a.m. The complimentary dinners on Mondays through Wednesdays were a lovely surprise.
We visit West Orange often and will never stay anywhere else but here in the future..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Polly Z
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here with a wedding party after the reception/ceremony next door at the Manor. The room was AMAZING (2-bdrm suite) and very reasonably priced. Everything about this place is classic and classy. The breakfast was great and the pool was as well (although a bit small, it was nice when i had it to myself). The beautiful furniture and elegant decor throughout the lobby and eating areas was stunning. Moreover, the staff was amazing. Carol at the front desk made sure I had everything I needed and did everything she could to make sure our multi-room party was well accommodated. I would definitely recommend friends and family to stay here and I especially thank Carol for her amazing service!

Room Tip: 339!! Overlooks the courtyard. The balcony rooms are nice as well.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford

Been to Residence Inn West Orange? Share your experiences!