“Fantastic Day at the South Mountain Recreational Complex”
Review of Turtle Back Zoo

Turtle Back Zoo
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in West Orange
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had a fantastic day at the South Mountain Recreational Complex in West Orange, NJ. The Turtle Back Zoo is a part of this complex and there is so much to do here. The setting is gorgeous as it is nestled in the reservation. Me, my wife and daughter spent the day doing paddle boating, zip lining and it was great. The staff was very courteous. The zip line and tree top adventure course has been a great addition and there were quite a few kids.
I would highly recommend this place for families with kids of all ages

3  Thank Nisha B

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Zoo was about an hour drive for my family, and was worth the trip. The park is clean and conveniently close to parkway. Not a very large zoo but bigger than the popcorn zoo by me and closer than Bronx zoo. Plenty of animals to see and my daughter enjoyed the stingray exhibit because she got to touch them. The tree climbing/ zip line area looked a lot of fun but my daughters friend forgot her sneakers so we were unable to experience it, but we may make the trip back just for that... With our sneakers this time :)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This place is very small as compared to Bronx zoo or Pittsburgh zoo but its good enough for families with small kids as most exibits are made in such a manner that small kids can see everything without being lifted up. They have face painting sessions as well to keep kids entertained and water fountains keep you cool in hot summer days. The price is $11 for adult and Child is 9$. But the price for the food court is too high. They have touch tanks for kids to touch sting rays and sharks. Along this there are pony rides $2 per person. They have a small petting zoo which was closed when we went there. They have a train ride free for all. Over all its value for money for a day's outing. This places closes at 5pm.They also have a place where you can feed birds who come and sit on your hand to eat.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have been going to this zoo since I was a kid and now I have my own. In the past 15 or so years they have been doing a lot of work and adding new exhibits. They recently opened a sea lion/sting ray exhibit and I think they are working on something else. They have a good playground I know they just opened a second one (we have not seen it yet though). Many of the local schools and day camps have field trips here. We are very close so we have a family membership (very reasonable).

There is a cute train ride (the same as when I was a kid), pony rides and a beautiful carousel.

There are also plenty of other things to do in the immediate area (mini golf, paddle boats (new), treetop adventure (rebuilt after Sandy), ice skating). There is a snack bar there (ok food). You can also bring your own lunch, there are plenty of tables.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful day with my family at the zoo! Wednesday is the best day to go because its family night and it closes at 8.
Get ready to hike up a few hills so wear walking shoes!
Also u have to pay extra for pony rides, butterflies and birds. $2.00
Not a big deal!
All and all a great day!
We will be back:-)

1  Thank cheriew1978

Been to Turtle Back Zoo? Share your experiences!