“Good Food, But ...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
New Jersey
“Good Food, But ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Some friends brought us to China Gourmet using a restaurant.com coupon. Right away they looked askance at us.

They serve some of the best Chinese food anywhere, including NYC. They have the best tasting ribs, excellent soups, and chow fun noodles that rival anything I've tasted in Chinatown. They also are among the few restaurants where you can get some really good Peking Duck.

While the food is great, the atmosphere is not. The service is not up to the quality of the food. They seem to be preoccupied with something else, I just don't know what that something else is.

Because the coupon required a certain amount of spending they kept reminding us how much more we had to go in order to use the coupon.

I've been back several times with different people and the results always seem the same. While the food is very good the overall experience of dining there leaves something to be desired.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank cheapcruiser

West Orange, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Big disappointment - horrible service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

My family went to celebrate my Mom's 92nd birthday. After being seated, we waited 5 minutes for water to come after requested. Once we placed our order, hot soup (for one) arrived quickly. However, it was quickly removed without asking prior to finishing. It took another 30 minutes for ONE dish to arrive (six were ordered). We were told the other dishes were coming soon. After another 15 minutes and NO MORE DISHES, we asked for the check and left (and order takeout from down the street). The owner/server was rude and did not even apologize for the poor service! Will definitely not return.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Carol R
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
“Dim sum anybody?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Great Place for dimsum, service is efficient and the food is great.

New Jersey
“The best Chinese food in New Jersey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Too bad I live a little too far outside their delivery zone, but it's still close enough to drive and pick up the best food ever!

Visited March 2012
Belleville, NJ
“What happened to this place?!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

Used to come here often when I lived in the area and the food was really good but it's been about 10 years and the place is barely recognizable. Got a Groupon deal for dinner for 2 and knowing I would be in the area called my dad for an early Valentine's Day dinner ... I'll have to make it up to him

Could not get over how delapidated the exterior of the building was and this should have been my cue to run for the hills. Inside seemed clean but equally shabby. We split an order of steamed dumplings as an appie. Awful! The meat filling was tough and the dough was thick and chewy. My father barely you his Seafood in Birdsnest. The veggies were mushy, shrimp chewy and overtly tasting of iodine and the scallops smelled and tasted very fishy. Awful again! I had ordered the Prawns wrapped in Bacon. They were good but would have made a better appetizer then a main dish: 6 prawns ... that's it, no veg.

Asked Dad for a 'do over' next week, my treat. Groupon or not, will not be coming back to China Gourmet.